Options
2»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    pupleglass wrote: »
    Get a digital scale they're cheap and essential. You're probably just not accurate enough with your measuring.

Also take a look at your nutrients under the nutrition menu... how is your protein intake? Are you hitting that macronutrient goal daily? Being vegan it can be tough and adequate protein is essential for weight loss, health, and optimal body composition.

I would love to but I eat off of a meal plan at my college so I can't really measure out my foods at the dining center :/

Check with dining services to see if they have any nutritional information available. Some of the big food service providers do have that info.

and even if you can't weight it out in the dining hall - you can log what it weighs when you get back to your room
  • kelzxxxT
    kelzxxxT Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. Does the progress bar change by itself or do i need to change myself.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kelzxxxT wrote: »

If you have a question of your own, you may want to start a new thread rather than post this in someone else's.
  • Myaaka
    Myaaka Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are eating vegan, other than for weight loss? If it's because you don't like meat, then ignore. But if you do like meat then I would add in lean protein like chicken breast and fish at least once or twice a day. And research shows that eating yogurt a few times a day an help. I do the 80 calorie Greek non fat yogurts 2-4 times a day. Helps with cravings and it's good protein. Eating vegan for personal reasons, that's a different story. I would say try to add in more protein laden foods if possible to help. And lower your carb intake. Vegans tend to eat higher carbs because of the beans and rice. So maybe cut out rice? Again, as mentioned above, without access to your diary it's hard to know what to say to help. But def give it a few more weeks and see how things go. I've lost 80 lbs in the last 11 months but have been stuck for the last month at the same weight. I know it'll drop about 5 lbs soon. ☺
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    For those of you commenting about how, because I can't accurately measure my food, I may be eating more than I think, do you think it would be helpful to decrease my portion sizes and see what happens? I feel like that might show some results but the only problem I see with that is that I already eat pretty small portions for the most part so I'm scared that would cause me to under eat, which I've had problems with in the past.
    I am definitely going to start increasing my exercise time when possible.

Well, from a weight loss standpoint, that certainly can't hurt.

But if you've had problems under eating in the past, that might be a slippery slope that you don't want to get caught on.

The alternative would be to keep portion sizes the same and switch to lower calorie foods. You can kinda do that by knowing what you're eating, but having nutritional info would make it much easier.

Your diary is closed, so I can't offer any real help... but if you're eating a lot of fried foods and/or high-fat dairy or meat, then you could swap those high calorie foods for lower calorie stuff (more fruits and vegetables, leaner meats, etc).

But ultimately, if you don't know how many cals your consuming, it's all just trial and error.

Sorry, just re-read that you were vegan, so scratch most of the food suggestions I made.

But the overall premise holds - if you're able to swap out higher calorie foods for lower calorie foods, you can effectively reduce your calorie intake while maintaining your portion sizes. You'll still want to be mindful of overall health/nutrition, but it addresses the calories and portion size issues.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Plateaus suck! You're not alone, pretty much everyone on a weight loss journey has experienced one. My plateaus are usually because I've "splurged" a little and I know it, but there have been times where I feel like I'm doing everything right. I would be patient and give it more time and maybe switch up your workouts a little. Try some HIIT, zumba or add some weights. You can do it!
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem my weight stayed to a standstill for an entire month, increase your calories by 200-300 and that should get you back on track. If you're not eating enough calories and exercising you can actually put your body into starvation mode and it will store fat.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP, will the dining centre allow you to take food back to your room? I agree with asking about nutrition. Perhaps they use a lot of fat or sodium in food prep.
  • kelzxxxT
    kelzxxxT Posts: 3 Member
    Options

If you have a question of your own, you may want to start a new thread rather than post this in someone else's.

How rude. Im new and wasnt sure.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm sorry that came across as rude. I was trying to help you get a wider audience for your question.
  • pupleglass
    pupleglass Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Myaaka wrote: »
    Is there a reason you are eating vegan, other than for weight loss? If it's because you don't like meat, then ignore. But if you do like meat then I would add in lean protein like chicken breast and fish at least once or twice a day. And research shows that eating yogurt a few times a day an help. I do the 80 calorie Greek non fat yogurts 2-4 times a day. Helps with cravings and it's good protein. Eating vegan for personal reasons, that's a different story. I would say try to add in more protein laden foods if possible to help. And lower your carb intake. Vegans tend to eat higher carbs because of the beans and rice. So maybe cut out rice? Again, as mentioned above, without access to your diary it's hard to know what to say to help. But def give it a few more weeks and see how things go. I've lost 80 lbs in the last 11 months but have been stuck for the last month at the same weight. I know it'll drop about 5 lbs soon. ☺

Yeah I am vegan for moral reasons, but thank you for your suggestions! :) I don't eat much rice but I do eat a fair amount of oats so maybe I could cut down on those a little bit.
  • pupleglass
    Options
    OP, will the dining centre allow you to take food back to your room? I agree with asking about nutrition. Perhaps they use a lot of fat or sodium in food prep.

Well they don't offer take out but I probably could take food back to my room if I brought my own containers, which is actually probably a good idea! I might see about doing that.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

It wasn't rude.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Well they don't offer take out but I probably could take food back to my room if I brought my own containers, which is actually probably a good idea! I might see about doing that.

That's great! Weighing foods in your room may be easier. I hope you can get some nutrition information from the chefs.

When I was at Uni, I lived in a residential college and we were able to just grab food and leave if we didn't feel like mingling in the dining hall.
  • pupleglass
    Options
    Hey all! Thank you for all of your suggestions, I'm definitely going to take them into consideration. I've also been taking a closer look at my diary and I have noticed that my carbs and sugars have been relatively high (as in I've been almost reaching or even sometimes passing my daily limit) , so I'm going to try to cut back a little more on them and see what happens. I'm also taking a trip to target on Saturday and will be looking for a cheap food scale.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Eh. Get the food scale and weigh a few things there once in awhile. They make portable ones. People won't even really notice what you're doing. It could be an eye opener.

Yes, like you said, you could try cutting down on your portions. Also try, like another poster said, picking lower calorie food (less sauce, oil, etc). You can eat vegetables in pretty high volume, without fatty dressing, etc.
  • Maggieba
    Maggieba Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Like others have suggested, a food scale is a great investment.

From personal experience, I would also suggest letting go of the number on the scale. I'm 5'10 and 185, and this month I've only lost 1.2 pounds. However, my hips are down half an inch, belly, waist, and under bust (aka back fat) are each down an inch. Some will say taking your measurements can be inconsistent, which is true. However I've regularly taken my measurements since I was 17 and am now 36.... I would much rather achieve my "goal" look and weigh more; when you weigh more you can eat more! I don't put too much stock in the BMI chart/ #s.

How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Take progress pictures and compare each month.