Looking for friends who still eat "real food"

Options

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I think it's interesting how different people describe food. Over the last few months, I've seen the word "real" to describe "whole/unprocessed/organic," and "anything you want", and everything in between.

I'm never sure where I fit. I do tend to eat mostly from-scratch foods, because that's what's "normal" for me. I was raised that way, so it's what I'm used to. I do eat fast food and convenience foods when I want. I like burgers, fries, and pizza, but I consider them treats, not every-day food. I don't buy organic often, but do occasionally.

So if the intent of the question is, "Do you eat what you normally would, just less of it?" Then, yes, absolutely. If the question is, "Do you mostly eat food that is packaged or pre-made in some way?" Then, no.
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Junk food!!! Yummmmm
  • fatbottomgirl0309
    fatbottomgirl0309 Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Love all the variety of comments and info! Just what I was hoping for! Thanks for all the adds! :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    I think it's interesting how different people describe food. Over the last few months, I've seen the word "real" to describe "whole/unprocessed/organic," and "anything you want", and everything in between.

I'm never sure where I fit. I do tend to eat mostly from-scratch foods, because that's what's "normal" for me. I was raised that way, so it's what I'm used to. I do eat fast food and convenience foods when I want. I like burgers, fries, and pizza, but I consider them treats, not every-day food. I don't buy organic often, but do occasionally.

So if the intent of the question is, "Do you eat what you normally would, just less of it?" Then, yes, absolutely. If the question is, "Do you mostly eat food that is packaged or pre-made in some way?" Then, no.

I think of real food as anything that is filling, that includes whole foods, food from scratch, eating out at a restaurant with friends and the occasional takeout from Dominos or the Chinese. I think OP probably means she is just not looking for folks who are crash dieting and trying to live on mixed leaves and tap water alone.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I get the feeling your definition of real food and mine might clash - however with that said - my definition of real food is anything with less than five ingredients. So if that floats your boat - add me. I don't cut out food groups or any of that horse crap - but I also cook....not reheat packaged stuff. I should also add that my diary isn't picture perfect - I usually look for the entry that is closest to what I'm looking for. I prefer generalization to harping on the last detail when it comes to recording what goes in my mouth.

ETA: I just went back and looked at my diary entries - I think my favorite is the day I ate an entire box of Boursin cheese with a head of celery and a bottle of spumante.......I'd say that is real.
  • fatbottomgirl0309
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

I think of real food as anything that is filling, that includes whole foods, food from scratch, eating out at a restaurant with friends and the occasional takeout from Dominos or the Chinese. I think OP probably means she is just not looking for folks who are crash dieting and trying to live on mixed leaves and tap water alone.

I apologize for any confusion by my using the term "real food" as I understand everyone has a different perception of what this means to them, and I respect that. To me, personally, real food is anything without another label such as organic or whole, and includes the "no-no's" (chips, pizza, chocolate, or whatever your weakness is- for me it's chips). It's reassuring to see other people are out there eating things besides strictly healthy food 24/7 because for me anyways that just isn't realistic. Not with my lifestyle, work schedule, and family. But I get what every poster is saying and hope to learn something from everyone :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    curiousgp wrote: »
    ETA: I just went back and looked at my diary entries - I think my favorite is the day I ate an entire box of Boursin cheese with a head of celery and a bottle of spumante.......I'd say that is real.

Checking out the boursin cheese beckoning me from the fridge . . . . . it was only 99 cents at the discount grocery, so I couldn't pass it up. Eating it with celery increases the food factor by +10! Spumante is from grapes. Plenty of food there! :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm grilling steaks and making baked potatoes with roasted green beans and mushrooms tonight...I had a nice filet of cod with a mustard caper sauce and roasted asparagus with Parmesan last night...tomorrow night is pizza night.

I don't worry much about organic, etc...but I am big on whole foods as well as having some foods simply for indulgent pleasure like pizza night...but I don't log so there's no way I would have maintained my weight loss for four years eating mostly that kind of stuff.
  • hayb54
    hayb54 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Over here!! My diary is always open and active. Think this was the most important thing to learn about. No more head scratching after 'cheat day' when the multiple chocolate bars, takeaways and crisps had a whopping 3.5lb affect on the scale...and the cycle continued the next week. As others have said, much more a lifestyle than a diet.

Ps. I had kfc this evening B-)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Made 3-bean vegetarian chili and corn bread for tomorrow night, as well as various dips and spreads. Homemade strawberry sorbet for dessert (frozen strawberries, simple syrup of equal parts sugar and water, and lemon juice. Nothing else.)

I cook once a week and get 4-6 meals out of it. Beyond that, Yves or Gardein veggie products, lots of Greek yogurt, corn-and-veggie-dog based salads, and I make a lower-calorie dessert that I'm not the only one enjoying!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I log everything and my diary is open to friends. I eat all the foods and am losing steadily. Feel free to add me. :)
  • LJE1960
    LJE1960 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    At last... Finally Healthy Real Food Eating Folks! I'm in outside sales and tend to eat out a lot or on the road. So I don't log a lot of my food and then get off track. Feel free to add me. I need inspiration.
  • lost_work7
    lost_work7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I go between whole foods and some junk foods. I think it's about balance.
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't really subscribe to the whole "healthy food" stuff, I buy what I can afford at the store!!!
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I eat healthy if I cook for myself, but if I go to a restaurant (maybe two times a week) or eat something someone else made (once or twice a week), I eat whatever I want. I just try to not go crazy on portion sizes. I've managed to stay under my calorie goal every day since I started about two weeks ago.

I have about 120 pounds to lose, so at some point I'll have to make some adjustments, but it's working for now, and I'm not going hungry or feeling deprived. My diary is open.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Add me! I think I do pretty good. I do eat out sometimes, but not a lot.
  • leahnoob
    leahnoob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've only been logging my intake for the last 3 weeks (since I started exercising). My diary is open and my intake is usually around 40-50% fat. I'm not big on veggies and love anything salty. It's not about what you eat, it's about how much you eat
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    I eat cookies, brownies, or ice cream almost every day. yesterday I ate 6 different kinds of brownies (there was a bake sale at work and I obviously had to try them all) and then I went to a friend house and ate pizza.... and it was awesome.

If it fits in my calories and I want it, it goes in my stomach. No Shame.

I am drooling at 6 kinds of brownies. Lucky you. But I pretty much eat whatever I want. I just make sure I hit my macros and I really try not to go crazy with the sweets, which I could easily do.