I'm -19 on Carbs, is that alright?

Options
Simple question. Today I went over my daily grams of carbs, I had 218 grams of carbs. Does this mean I will gain weight? Is 199 grams of carbs the minimum amount? Is this bad or good for a guy?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I eat well over on carbs daily and im down 80 pounds in 9 months. Carbs arent the devil nor the god. under or over is fine its just a baseline to shoot for
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Weight is purely based on calories. Where were you on calories for the day?
  • Sweetincense4iam
    Sweetincense4iam Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing to loose weight. If you are exercising it makes a huge difference! If you are concerned that must mean you might want to cut back... our bodies are made to be able to fast to give our digestive system a day off... it works super hard every day for us. This is what I am learning in my weight loss journey anyway... not easy but it feels so good... this might not be answering your question but I think what I am trying to say if you are feeling you should cut back to loose weight and that is your desired goal....go for it!!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't mean that you will gain weight. Everything you eat will get turned into carbs eventually. Eating more carbs just means it takes less time for that to happen.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing to loose weight. If you are exercising it makes a huge difference! If you are concerned that must mean you might want to cut back... our bodies are made to be able to fast to give our digestive system a day off... it works super hard every day for us. This is what I am learning in my weight loss journey anyway... not easy but it feels so good... this might not be answering your question but I think what I am trying to say if you are feeling you should cut back to loose weight and that is your desired goal....go for it!!

What?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. You could eat all carbs, all fat or all protein and you would lose weight with a calorie deficit. (No, I'm not suggesting you do this, but the calories is what counts for weight loss/gain)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you gain weight, too many calories make you gain weight
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    OP: No, you're fine and will not gain weight by going over on carbs. The goals for protein, fats and carbs are general guidelines for a balanced diet, but in no way does it mean that you HAVE to eat that way, be it for general health, weight loss or anything else. In weight loss, calories are king. You'll want to mind the protein and make sure you're getting enough, but going over or under on it isn't going to ruin your progress any more than going over on carbs.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Um no. The only time your digestive system needs a rest is if you have a serious GI disease and in that case they put you on TPN.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    There is no minimum on carbs. If you're not on a low carb diet, where you count carbs instead of calories, don't sweat it. Eat food, at a deficit, mostly nutritious stuff, move more.

ETA: some folks DO find that the type of carbohydrate they eat affects their blood sugar in a way that affects their appetite. I'm one of those people, so I choose leafy green vegetables and fruits over, say, heavily processed snack foods that are carbohydrate dense. For me it's about the fiber and water content.

TL;DR: Eat food, at a deficit, mostly nutritious stuff, move more.