I feel disgusting

Options
I'm a 19 year old boy who weighs 155 pounds at 5' 11". I'm genuinely feeling discouraged and defeated. For over a year I've been putting on weight, it began at 140, then 145, then 150. I've tried my hardest to lose it, but I just can't stop cheating. I have no self control. I can't eat any junk food without wanting more and more. 3 years ago I lost over 85 pounds by completely cutting out all junk food, I'm not sure if I should do that again. This has been going on for a year and I'm truly about to give up. My weight has taken over my life. I'll go 2-3 days eating well and sticking to a plan, then I'll cheat and start the cycle over. I've tried everything. I've tried to eat at every amount of calories between 800-1600. I've tried to delete the app and just count in my head, and I've tried to just not count calories. It's always the same. I know I must sound extremely negative but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me? I'm just trying to be able to change my lifestyle for the better and stop gaining weight and actually start losing. I'm approaching 160 pounds.

Replies

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You are at a completely normal weight for your height. You are also at an age where you could still be growing. If there was any health advice to give, I'd bring up your concerns with your doctor and probably find someone who specializes in body image issues.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Your weight is normal according to BMI calculators. I'd consider it a bit low actually. Why do you think otherwise?
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hey don't be so down on yourself it ain't easy!!! I am not sure if I am best person to answer I would suggest you work out ur kcal for the week. That will give u total for the week then try and go mon-fri with less kcal and have some extra for sat Sunday for example. That way you can know at the weekend you can have some food u like. That's what got me in gear. I was fairly strict weekdays and relaxed at weekend but it was only when I started tracking and got 100% strict weekdays and used spare at weekend running a deficit still in total I was able to keep it up and loose.

Also any exercise maybe a sport or just fitness goals could be a motivation.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You're young. Go play basketball or tennis. Find a hobby like indoor climbing etc.
    My boyfriend is 6'2 and weighs about 200lbs. He looks absolutely handsome. He plays basketball and never watches what he eats. I feel like you need to talk to a doctor. I have absolutely no clue why you feel the need to lose any weight.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'10" woman and 150 is a healthy weight for my height. It's fine for you too. You are still young and it's probably growth that led to your weight gain, not overeating. Are you able to see a counselor to talk about your weight issues before they get more severe?
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    So what's the actual problem? You're at a good weight for that height right now.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    You sound skinny to me.. you are not seeing yourself in a true light...a man 5 11 and 155? that is what a woman should weigh who is 5 11. on the lower end too.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    So what's the actual problem? You're at a good weight for that height right now.

I think the problem is that OP is starting to develop an unhealthy relationship with his weight and/or food.

OP, I think you ought to speak to a health care professional, even if it's just to rule out the possibility of an eating disorder/disordered thinking.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm a 19 year old boy who weighs 155 pounds at 5' 11". I'm genuinely feeling discouraged and defeated. For over a year I've been putting on weight, it began at 140, then 145, then 150. I've tried my hardest to lose it, but I just can't stop cheating. I have no self control. I can't eat any junk food without wanting more and more. 3 years ago I lost over 85 pounds by completely cutting out all junk food, I'm not sure if I should do that again. This has been going on for a year and I'm truly about to give up. My weight has taken over my life. I'll go 2-3 days eating well and sticking to a plan, then I'll cheat and start the cycle over. I've tried everything. I've tried to eat at every amount of calories between 800-1600. I've tried to delete the app and just count in my head, and I've tried to just not count calories. It's always the same. I know I must sound extremely negative but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me? I'm just trying to be able to change my lifestyle for the better and stop gaining weight and actually start losing. I'm approaching 160 pounds.

Unless you have about zero muscle, you are not overweight. A guy your height who has some muscle could easily weigh what you weigh and not be overweight at all. What % body fat are you? If you have a high percent body fat, hit the weights and don't try to lose weight, just try to gain some muscle! Do you exercise much?
  • zdecker123
    zdecker123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

• zdecker123
    zdecker123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know it may be discouraging, but keep counting! It's really worth it at the end.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    zdecker123 wrote: »
    I know it may be discouraging, but keep counting! It's really worth it at the end.

Really? Did you read the post? He's counting way under what he should and trying to lose to a point he'd be underweight.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    zdecker123 wrote: »

Wow.

Did you read the thread? He doesn't need to lose any more, and is at risk of developing an eating disorder.

Great minds...you beat me to it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It's called filling out. You bones and muscles are still growing. My husband is 5' 10" and was 150 through his late teens early 20s. He was thin then. His muscle and bone structure has developed since then. By the time you're older (fully physically grown) you probably will put on a bit more weight. That doesn't mean it will get out of hand. Just keep an eye that it doesn't get too high. But that doesn't mean you need to lose weight either.