Does breakfast help YOU eat less later? It hasn't yet for me.

Options
I started working with an intuitive eating certified RD to help with BED. I used to do intermittent fasting and have completely been unable to reign in my appetite later in the day. Even if I eat breakfast, snacks, lunch I still have a desire to eat way bigger meals at night. I don't even care to eat earlier than 1 pm. But I keep trying to see if I can stop the binges by stopping fasting and it hasn't helped. I've been at this for a little while and my calories are less when I fast. I have no self control at night and like fasting because I at least feel decently full if I fast until 1-2 pm.

Have you stopped fasting and got back regular fullness by eating breakfast, no fasting?
Have you started fasting and realized it works much better for fullness/life?

Appreciate input.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Breakfast doesn't cause me to eat more or less, but if I don't eat breakfast I can't get much done all morning because I'm watching the clock for lunchtime.
  • Molly_234
    Molly_234 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I skip breakfast I tend to not be as hungry at lunch. I was doing really well with the 16:8 for a few weeks but this week I have stopped doing it and I've been hungry all the time! I'm going to start fasting again. Breakfast for me tends to be sugary carbs any way and starting the day with sugar can make me crave it the rest of the day.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends entirely on the breakfast. If I eat one that's high in protein, I'm satiated until lunch. If I eat one that's mostly carbs, I end up snacking all morning until lunch.

Do you notice if either have an effect on you after lunch? My question is more about how it affects the hours after lunch. I personally feel like I'm the same level of hungry later in the day and have the desire to eat just as much having no breakfast vs having it.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I find it easier when I just stick with coffee and water for breakfast, and eat more at lunch and dinner instead. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Eating a solid breakfast with plenty of protein was one thing that helped me avoid dysfunctional snack-y crave-y behavior in the evening.

But I've been around MFP for a while, and it seems to me that when it comes to satiety, everyone is different. What works for you, works for you, whether it works for me, or not. I understand that you have some special considerations, so I'd certainly suggest working through these things with the professional you're working with.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends entirely on the breakfast. If I eat one that's high in protein, I'm satiated until lunch. If I eat one that's mostly carbs, I end up snacking all morning until lunch.

Do you notice if either have an effect on you after lunch? My question is more about how it affects the hours after lunch. I personally feel like I'm the same level of hungry later in the day and have the desire to eat just as much having no breakfast vs having it.

Hard to say, really. Once I realized that protein really satiates me, I started to include more of it in all of my meals. Since I started doing this, my snacking all throughout the day has decreased dramatically.

The point being, figuring out which foods satiate you the most (try proteins, fats, fibers and complex carbs) could very well help you manage your hunger throughout the day. Satiety is different for everyone, so you'll have to experiment a bit to see which foods work best you.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Eating more earlier in the day makes me less likely to go overboard with evening snacking. Eating breakfast makes me less likely to go overboard with midmorning and midafternoon snacking. Recently, I've taken to getting a skim milk steamer (sugar free syrup - so, basically, a big cup of warm milk) on my way into work after breakfast, and the combination of breakfast + drink almost completely kills my desire to snack in the afternoon. So, I think that habit may be a keeper.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I've found that when I eat breakfast I'm hungrier the rest of the day, but if I skip it, I can easily go until lunch (or beyond) without feeling hungry. So I don't bother about breakfast anymore.

Same. The cream in my coffee is often the only calories I take in until supper.
  • N8ilm
    N8ilm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when or what I eat for breakfast, I'm hungry 2 hours (or less) later.
    I'm back on a strict calorie restriction diet. I have found that drinking 250ish cal smoothies with at least 30g of protein holds me over ok.

Also, I ALWAYS wake up hungry, there's no way I could skip breakfast. If I do, I can feel my brain and body just coming to grinding crash.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    All different and interesting responses. Crazy how no one size fits all on this. Appreciate any other input as well.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I used to skip bfast , then got into the habbit of eating bfast ,, i miss the larger calorie lunch and dinner . but eating bfast does help me eat better at lunch , just gotta do what works for ya

good luck

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Never skip breakfast! I drink a large full glass of water when I wake up. 30 min later a Premier Protein Chocolate drink. Few hours later, carrots and almonds or one slice toast with peanut butter and banana. Lunch a little later, small snack midafternoon like yogurt string cheese, then dinner. After dinner a little before bed, grapes or apple
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Eating breakfast makes me hungrier all day. I eat at 1pm (coffee and small piece of dark chocolate in a.m.).This has been working well for me for the past 6 months.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't eat in the morning because I feel the hunger all day. I actually wake up hungry, but can ignore it if I don't eat.

I like to eat bigger meals at night - it works for me as I also train at night. Waiting til the evening doesn't make me binge though, I stick to my macros and don't need to look for other food.
  • lost_work7
    lost_work7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I wake up, I'm not really hungry, but I force myself to eat anyway and it typically holds me over until dinner with a light snack in between (a protein bar). My problem is that since I'm not hungry until 6-7pm, I have to eat more calories when I'm not hungry because I didn't eat enough throughout the day. :confused:
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I can't function without breakfast, I end up sick and dizzy and it messes up my whole day. I don't need much, about 200cal is plenty (i'm a wholegrain cereal or toast person) but I need something.

Like you, I like a large dinner, so I eat about 200cal breakfast and 300-400 for lunch to save calories for dinner.