Does gas "weigh" more?

Options
I eat a fair amount of lentils and beans because I am a pescetarian However, it has the unpleasant side effect of making me gassy :o Can gas make the number on the scales go up?

For the record, I get protein from a variety of sources, and drink tons of water and herbal tea. But I like beans, lentils, broccoli, etc!

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Nope, and all the fiber should keep you regular, which makes the scales go down.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're probably bloated
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    We'll call a noticeable scale difference approximately 1/4 lb - 115g. The molecular weight of methane is 16.04g/mol, so you're looking at about 360 litres in volume.
    I really, really hope it's not due to gas.

I like your style. B)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Gas doesn't weigh anything- it's just air.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Gas has a weight, but it isn't so much that you will notice it on most scales.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Nope, and all the fiber should keep you regular, which makes the scales go down.

Unless too much fibre blocks you up....
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    But if you are bloated that doesn't usually mean just gas, it also means retained water or constipation, which DOES add weight on the scale.

Agree
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Intestinal gas is typically:

59 percent nitrogen, 21 percent hydrogen, 9 percent carbon dioxide, 7 percent methane and 4 percent oxygen. It has less O2 than air which would make it heavier but has more methane, which it lighter than air. So, it's probably about the same weight per volume as air. So, no, you're not changing you weight by farting.

Lol
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Intestinal gas is typically:

59 percent nitrogen, 21 percent hydrogen, 9 percent carbon dioxide, 7 percent methane and 4 percent oxygen. It has less O2 than air which would make it heavier but has more methane, which it lighter than air. So, it's probably about the same weight per volume as air. So, no, you're not changing you weight by farting.

But it is pressurized. If it weren't then you wouldn't be able to fart.