Any other frustrated beer drinkers out there? Where is the

Options
I've never noticed until I started here on fitness pal, but beer doesn't have calorie info anywhere on it! How frustrating for a gal who wants a well made micro-brew now and then. Anyone else frustrated by this? (I DON"T drink anything made by the giant beer companies, Bud, Miller, Coors, any of that junk.)

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    hmmm maybe see if any of the companies have nutrional info on a website?
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I find this handy, if you can do the math.

http://beercritic.wordpress.com/beer-calorie-cheatsheet/

It's still only an estimation, but gives you an idea of what you're looking at.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Most of the beers and liquers I drink are in here... and I add them sometimes :)
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Found this : http://www.livestrong.com/article/315030-microbrew-beer-calories/

Not sure if that hurts or helps.. some are pretty high in calories!
  • Brannyrocks
    Options
    have you checked the carton? I'm thinking I've seen some there when I've bought a six pack. Wine annoys me the same way, as I have no idea as to how many calories are in it. Have you thought about the style of beer your drinking and tried to use the closest major brand calorie count?
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like a beer now and then too. But I was curious the amount of calories in different beers. I found the following website.

http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm
  • rockabettyvintage
    rockabettyvintage Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! no, the carton doesn't have caloric info nor does the website. I'm enjoying a New Holland Full Circle kolsch style beer. It's pretty good but we're always trying something new and almost never drink the same beer twice. Too much to choose from :)
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    goes the same for rum, vodka and such.. its high in cals.. 1 shot is about 130 cals.
    the avg drink at a bar has 2 shots in it plus the juice
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Beer has calories? :brokenheart: :sad:
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    YES. i pretty much drink microbrews exclusively (or i should say, avoid things like Bud/Miller/Coors like the plague) and the solution that i've come up with is to find a similar style of beer and use the nutrition info for that. i try to eat extra EXTRA healthy (lots of water, extra veggies/fruit/protein) when i know i'll be enjoying a beer...or three.

what are some of your favorites? not sure if they're available where i live, but it's worth a shot!
  • rockabettyvintage
    rockabettyvintage Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    YES. i pretty much drink microbrews exclusively (or i should say, avoid things like Bud/Miller/Coors like the plague) and the solution that i've come up with is to find a similar style of beer and use the nutrition info for that. i try to eat extra EXTRA healthy (lots of water, extra veggies/fruit/protein) when i know i'll be enjoying a beer...or three.

what are some of your favorites? not sure if they're available where i live, but it's worth a shot!

My favorite right now is called Modus Hoperandi by Ska Brewing out of Colorado. It's very yummy! What about you?
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

My favorite right now is called Modus Hoperandi by Ska Brewing out of Colorado. It's very yummy! What about you?

my absolute favorite (only available in the fall though) is Dogfish Head Punkin Ale. i'm also in love with Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

my absolute favorite (only available in the fall though) is Dogfish Head Punkin Ale. i'm also in love with Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter.

I 2nd the Dogfish Punkin.
    If you like the Breckenridge, you need to try Atwater Vanilla Java Porter....so good.

Right now I am on a stout kick, but generally I love my hoppy IPA's.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I estimate beer at about 150 calories. The thing with beer is that is has a bit of alcohol and a non-negligeble amount of carbs in it: http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm

Vodka and rum only have alcohol in it. Alcohol packs a lot of calories, but no carbs. the alcohol becomes the energy of choice for your body. Ifyou are running a calorie deficit in you daily diet, your body is burning stored fat for energy. Once you consume alcohol, this fat burning stops since your body has an abundance of energy to fuel from.

That`s the bad news. The good news is that the alcohol does not get converted into fat. Since you do have a huge amount of energy available form the alchol though, any food you eat will mostly be converted to fat.

I`m not sure how important this is for 1 or 2 drinks with a meal, but if you drink to get drunk, then have a blissfull late night meal, it will mostly be stored a fat.

Beer has alcohol and carbs, so by default you you will convert the alcohol into energy and the carbs into fat.

Studiesdue show that 1 or 2 drinks a day has multiple health benifits. Including extended life.
  • PokenStick
    PokenStick Posts: 204
    Options
    I'm a homebrewer so 99% of the beer I drink I make. I don't worry about the macro nutrients and give myself 150-200 calorie for it. I also limit my intake to 1 a night, however it's been a while since I've tasted the sweet nectar of my labor.
  • kstuart1981
    kstuart1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very happy to find other people on here that enjoy a few beers every now and then.

Most microbrews are going to be between 200 and 300 calories. One of my favorite beers is Bell's Hopslam, but it packs a nasty 275 calories per 12 oz. I think most are closer to the 200 - 225 range though. I've found as a very general rule, the higher the alcohol content, the more calories in the beer. Its unfortunate what they do to my daily diet plan. Although for me its motivation to work out more and eat more veggies so I can reward myself with a brew.
  • sadiesimp
    sadiesimp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A lot of the Dogfish Head beers are listed on MFP. Helps when looking for something similar!
  • AndrewTub
    AndrewTub Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yea Im a 'real ale' drinker and from searching the net they seem to have like 2-300 calories :/
    My excuse is that I dance it all off for the rest of the night !
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism stops when you enter alcohol to your system.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed until I started here on fitness pal, but beer doesn't have calorie info anywhere on it! How frustrating for a gal who wants a well made micro-brew now and then. Anyone else frustrated by this? (I DON"T drink anything made by the giant beer companies, Bud, Miller, Coors, any of that junk.)

I'm with you! I make my own brews as well as love microbrew! I guestimate using similar beers and the info on them that I have found on different sites. Just search "beer calories".