How long should you workout?

Options
Hello everyone!
My workout consist of walking on the treadmill, and then doing a set of squats, and a set of crunches. And then I also run up and down the stairs in my house 20 times. That's my full workout.

But how long should I workout? How long/far should on I walk on treadmill? How many sets of squats and crunches should I do?

Trying to lose 20-30 pounds by Summer!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is weight loss then it doesn't really matter.

NHS guidelines is vigorous exercise 5 x a week for 30 minutes I think, so maybe aim for that?

Or find some proper workout programmes to follow? C25k, new rules of lifting etc etc
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    When I do the treadmill I usually do intervals (up hill, speed walking, sprints and jogging) for 20 min (this could take the place of the steps as well if you chose to because the incline really works your glutes!)... With your squats and crunches I would suggest doing more than one type such as with crunches I would do side crunches, three point crunches, maybe some medicine ball twists and supermans. For squats you can do wide, narrow, and sumo. As for sets you should start off doing 3 sets of 12. As you progress, you can add more reps. I would suggest 20 min on the tread and then 20-30 with your remaining workout. You should shoot for a 45 min workout. You want your intensity to be pretty high but also make sure you are taking breaks between exercises. And drink lots of water! :-) I hope my advice helps.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Until you're done.

I focus on resistance training over cardio - my sessions go until I'm finished, I don't set a time.
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    what with work and family life I only get to gym 4 times a week but I make sure I burn 1100-1400 calories a time there usually takes me 2-2.5 hours
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Until you're done.

I focus on resistance training over cardio - my sessions go until I'm finished, I don't set a time.

I was under the belief that cardio was more beneficial for weight loss as resistance training, although great for muscle build, does not burn many calories. I guess it really depends on your likes and goals to what works best for you.
  • lakelochness
    lakelochness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer advised that for the average gym goer you shouldn't do more than an hour at a time. Any more than that and you're at much greater risk of injury. If you want to do longer then he advised doing a few sessions a day.

On the other hand, if you're stuck for time, anything is better than zero. And like others have said, quality is better than quantity. So interval training is good. Or circuit training. Anything that's going to make you break a sweat.
  • lakelochness
    lakelochness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A good (short) workout that will straight-up murder you is:

30 seconds push-ups
    30 seconds squat jumps
    30 seconds tricep dips
    30 seconds burpees (or star jumps)
    30 seconds shoulder press
    30 seconds rest

Repeat 5 times.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Until you're done.

I was under the belief that cardio was more beneficial for weight loss as resistance training, although great for muscle build, does not burn many calories. I guess it really depends on your likes and goals to what works best for you.

I lost 25kgs by starting weight training, along with dieting. I went for walks, but that was the extent of my cardio.

Weight training is better for helping to maintain muscle, which I think is important. It means you'll have a better body composition as you lose weight, and having more muscle means you'll burn more calories.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Eat in a caloric deficit. That is all. Summer being which month? So that you can calculate out your caloric deficit in attempts to hit a certain weight goal by then.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    20-30lbs also seems like a really aggressive goal for 5 months (assuming June/July time frame)...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    But how long should I workout? How long/far should on I walk on treadmill? How many sets of squats and crunches should I do?

Trying to lose 20-30 pounds by Summer!

None of those questions have to do directly with your goal of weight loss.

Weight loss is done by eating in a deficit.

How long will you be eating in a deficit? How big is your deficit?

Answer these two questions and I can give you a time frame of when you will hit your goal.