How do size 8, 10 and 12 look like in different heights and body shapes? Pictures

Hi, I am 5'10 and it amazes me when I think people look the same size and they are not. I always think of myself as being huge and I look huge in pictures but a lot of people tell me I don't. Others say I do. In order to really get healthy I need to learn how to love my body and understand I can't ever be a size 0 again.

Replies

• dlinace
    dlinace Posts: 27 Member
    So...I don't know what size you are but I'm guessing that you are smaller than you see yourself in the mirror. I think it's natural to be critical of ourselves when in reality we look perfectly normal to those around us. I believe that it's much more important to live a healthy life than focus on an exact weight, or look. I think we are all going to find flaws in ourselves but if we focus on the healthy side of life we can feel sexy in our own skin.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    It's your brain. Sometimes it never catches up.

I always feel like I look bigger than I am. I know, rationally...I'm not big. But that doesn't stop my irrational side of me for thinking I look huge.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
    It's funny how we can't see what others see. When I lost weight last time I remember taking a picture of my progress and at that time I felt so far away from my goal - I was 10-15lbs away but it felt like I had so far to go and I was unhappy with how I looked BUT looking back at that same picture now I realize how wrong I was. I looked healthy and it is now my new goal!

I highly suggest pictures all through your journey. You may hate them now but months down the road you may actually see better what others see.
  • Grisnv
    Grisnv Posts: 43 Member

Thank you everyone! I do hate pictures and much rather take the pictures of others. Depending on the clothes I can be a size 8 or all the way up to 12. I know that I am my worst enemy and I need to work on that.
  • Bites_2017
    Bites_2017 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm 78kg and 176cm tall. I'm size 12/14 aus. I was 63kg a few years ago and I thought I was huge even though I close to being underweight. I was and size 10 aus then. I think when I get back to that weight I'll appreciate it this time!
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    I'm 5'11'', 170lbs and usually a size 10. I've been anywhere from a 6 to an 18. It always amazes me when other people, usually shorter, say they are also a size 10. We all come in many different size and shapes.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Height can have a massive difference on the way you carry your weight. Even at an "Obese" BMI I can have a totally flat washboard stomach (I miss my flat tummy lol) and feel quite fit/healthy because of the way I carry my weight. I am a UK size 18-20 on my bottom half because of how wide my hips are set, but most people are pretty shocked if we're discussing clothes and my size comes up. There's an interesting blog on it here
  • rebekahray82
    rebekahray82 Posts: 4 Member
    I've always been told I carry my weight well and I was blessed with being proportionate. No one ever guessed my weight correctly (usually up to 50lbs off!) and I always kinda liked that. That can work for AND against me. Being able to hide the actual poundage I am has always given me a false sense of security but I realized that there comes a time when you can't hide anymore and the inconspicuous muffin top becomes a spare tire, the thick-almost athletic-legs start taking a different shape, the arm fat waves bye-bye long after your hands stops fanning the air, no photo angle can really trick the nonexistence of your double chin and your wardrobe selection dwindles from "occasion worthy" and "cute casual" or "downright sexy" to "always stretchy or comfortable" and "black". When yoga pants fight back to literally roll off your waistline and down to the tops of your thighs, there is a problem. I'm so there right now. I vowed two years ago that I wouldn't be that overweight girl who lost a lot of weight (the *right* way) and then gained it back. 70+ pounds lost and few months later, I got married and have easily gained back 40+ of it. What can I say? I'm a great cook with bad eating habits. Well, I may not be able to say much but there is a LOT that I can do. I started back implementing all the things I learned a couple years ago and have a goal I am determined to hit by the year's end. This app has helped a good bit and I'm really eager to see what I will look like once I finally DO get there. If I was blessed at well over 200 pounds for looking smaller than I was, I can't WAIT to see what 140 will look like. I've never known a lean or thin me. I don't want to *lose* this weight at all because I NEVER wanna *find* it again. :D
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    I used to worry about sizes but found it's just pretty useless. Try instead to focus on getting to a healthy BMI, and focus on how fit you are and how you feel. How many push ups can you do? Can you do a pull up? Can you run a mile? How we look is so subjective and we all end up old and saggy and wrinkly in the end anyways, right? Why not focus on feeling healthy and being fit? That will serve you better long term I think.
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    I have the opposite problem. I always think I am smaller than I really am. I think it is because I was so underweight growing up. I was always the skinny boney one. Once I put on a little weight I stayed fairly steady because my work was so active. When I got a desk job I didn't even realize I put on 25 lbs until I saw a picture of myself and was shocked...lol. Every clothing manufacturer is different too. I can wear between a 10 and 16. It is frustrating. I can never guess anyone's size either. I am always worried about causing offense to pass clothes on.
  • TammySalo
    TammySalo Posts: 5 Member
    I can totally relate to you, this is how I feel every day! I have no idea how to just love who I am and appreciate what I have.
  • Grisnv
    Grisnv Posts: 43 Member
    Grisnv wrote: »
    Hi, I am 5'10 and it amazes me when I think people look the same size and they are not. I always think of myself as being huge and I look huge in pictures but a lot of people tell me I don't. Others say I do. In order to really get healthy I need to learn how to love my body and understand I can't ever be a size 0 again.

c74gictpxcfx.jpg

c74gictpxcfx.jpg

Nice legs! I'm jealous.
  • ieshawolfe
    ieshawolfe Posts: 2 Member
    It amazes me as I'm 5 ft 7in tall and when I was 169lb size 10 pants and medium shirt I felt overweight and huge really embarrassed in a bathing suit even tho people said I looked fit then I had 2 kids and started my journey a year ago at 255lb bmi 42 size 20 pants XXL shirt!!! and then I really appreciated how tiny I was and dreamed every since of reaching that goal again! and now I'm 200.2lb size 14 and hoping to reach that 169 again by may 27th
    but I also been as low as 73lb when I was 15yeaars old size medium in kids and after being hospitalized for anorexia was when I gained to 169lb then went downhill from there :/
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    ieshawolfe wrote: »
    It amazes me as I'm 5 ft 7in tall and when I was 169lb size 10 pants and medium shirt I felt overweight and huge really embarrassed in a bathing suit even tho people said I looked fit then I had 2 kids and started my journey a year ago at 255lb bmi 42 size 20 pants XXL shirt!!! and then I really appreciated how tiny I was and dreamed every since of reaching that goal again! and now I'm 200.2lb size 14 and hoping to reach that 169 again by may 27th
    but I also been as low as 73lb when I was 15yeaars old size medium in kids and after being hospitalized for anorexia was when I gained to 169lb then went downhill from there :/

Isn't that always the way? I was anorexic as a teen too and remember thinking my beautiful 5'3" body was "fat" at 120 pounds and starved myself down to 104 pounds which just looked awful, made me sick, and I lost a bunch of muscle mass which means when I finally started eating again I gained a bunch of fat and couldn't get back to a normal healthy weight (less muscle means slower metabolism). Even then I wasn't that bad- like 135ish and not overweight just a bit chubby maybe but in my own eyes I was HUGE... fast forward a few decades and now I'm 5'4" and my highest weight was around 167/168 lbs and I was legitimately overweight, borderline obese actually. Now I'm down to about 148 and feeling pretty good, also put on a lot of muscle finally with weight lifting and proper nutrition. But I still look back at pictures of myself when I was young and felt "fat" and I can't believe it?! What was I thinking? I was gorgeous and a perfect weight for my frame!! I wish I'd skipped the whole anorexia thing which ruined my metabolism and just went straight to proper fitness and healthy balanced diet. I would probably never have developed a weight issue. Ugh.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member

c74gictpxcfx.jpg

What gorgeous legs you have!