Does breakfast help YOU eat less later? It hasn't yet for me.

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Tea with milk for me until my yogurt about 1:00 or so or else I eat all day.
  • SoyD986
    SoyD986 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If I eat in the morning, I end up being hungry all day ... I suppose it's all mental ... but breakfast is not a good thing for me when it comes to a healthy way of life. I get my calories and nutrients from meals after around 12pm during the week. During the weekend, when I do eat around 10am, I find my calorie consumption is higher ... but again, my schedule is different and a lot of it is mental, I think!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have 1 weetabix biscuit with a little milk around 1030 and then a couple of snacks between then and 1300 when it's my lunchtime. On a weekend I've been known to totally forget to eat until about 2/3pm in the afternoon so tend to have a higher calorie brunch instead of seperate breakfast and lunch. You just got to work out what works for you, that might include eating breakfast or it may not. The timing of meals, etc will only work on a mental level. If you feel like you need to eat a lot later at night, maybe just have lighter meals during the day and something more calorific in the evening.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,937 Member
    Options
    Does breakfast help YOU eat less later?

Nope. Eating breakfast is like flipping an "ON" switch ... I just want to keep eating all day long.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a hard and fast rule that fits everyone, if you're not seeing any benefit to breakfast and skipping it doesn't make you lethargic then personally I wouldn't bother especially if its making you feel worse and more likely to binge. I'd definitely speak to your RD with your concerns, but in the meantime do what works for you. x
  • Floatingpencil
    Floatingpencil Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As with other people, I find if I eat breakfast - any breakfast - it sets me off and I'm hungry all day. If I eat breakfast at 7 I'll be hungry at 9 and ready to roast and eat my colleagues by 10:30. I usually have a large glass of water first thing, then have something at around 10 - that seems to be the earliest I can go with it. If I don't eat at all, it'll be 3pm before I get really hungry.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    This discussion is so interesting. I never used to eat breakfast until I bought-in to the weight loss programs (specifically Weight Watchers) that were adamant that you MUST eat breakfast to fuel your body. Like many posters above, I always felt that I ate more during the day when I did have breakfast. Now I find myself going back to the no-breakfast or light breakfast preference.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    When I eat breakfast I tend to eat more later. So I skip breakfast and stick to lunch and dinner. Sometimes an evening snack.

This is what works for me too.
  • MelodyMomof2
    MelodyMomof2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually hungry in the morning. If I make myself eat a little something, it seems like I'm starving by 10:00 or 11:00 am. If I don't eat breakfast I'm fine until lunch. The only time I eat early is if I have a long run or something to do and I'll try to eat a cereal bar or a banana or something like that.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm on team eating breakfast makes me eat more so I always skip it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the time of the month for me, honestly. But I do better overall if I wait until I'm hungry to eat (but it usually happens by 9am, usually earlier, but I rarely eat after 6pm).
  • Shoebacha1
    Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast. Not sure that it changes my desire to eat the rest of the day, but I certainly concentrate better if I have breakfast. Plus, I have to eat breakfast to take my vitamins. I feel better all day if I have breakfast. My favorites are boiled eggs and cinnamon apple sauce, organic no sugar added raisin bran and skim milk, or whole wheat toast sandwich with turkey sausage, fried egg and mild cheddar cheese with mayo. Long as I average about 400 calories for breakfast, I function noticeably better. Also, I do not eat dinner. Lunch is my biggest meal of the day, I get the majority of my calorie allotment around 2p each day, with only a small late snack after my evening workout.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    If I eat in the morning I'm hungrier the rest of the day and feel the need to snack. So I do 16:8IF and my eating window is from 11am-7pm. This works really well for me!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Nope, as a matter of fact the earlier I eat the hungrier I am throughout the day.

I prefer to eat just up until the point of falling asleep, so the longer I can postpone my first meal of the day the more likely I am to control my calories.
  • Snowdusk
    Snowdusk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm just about hungry enough for something light in calories (I make a protein shake with berries pretty much every morning :p ) And I find it keeps me full until lunchtime so it definitely helps for me :D
    I find I have less concentration without any breakfast
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I am good with coffee when I get up at 4a and I have a yogurt with raw almonds around 8a. I'll throw down a protein around 10a then workout at 11a. I tend to like a bigger lunch then. No energy issues or feeling hungry.
  • dlach86
    dlach86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can't skip meals or i feal like crap. I eat lie breakfeast followed by snap snack before lunch.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    No, it actually does the opposite. Once I start eating, I have a hard time stopping. It's largely why I IF.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast or I'm hangry. I don't eat much, usually I stick to about 200 calories and that's enough to get me through the morning. I have young kids who wake up early so we usually eat lunch by 11. I do find that I prefer a large lunch, like 600 calories or so. If I eat something small, it sets the tone for me to be hungry all day.
  • mstbyl
    mstbyl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tried skipping it .. low blood sugars by 10am... have to have it - lunch 2pm - ok on wknds, M-F waiting till 2 - sends a "want to eat like a monster" signal. So mid morn weekdays, have to get about 100 cals - it works. Tail off carbs in eve... need carbs in morn-