discouraged and depressed

Options
I have been counting and logging every single morsel of food that has gone in my mouth since June 21st. I do 3.7 mph at a 10% incline on the treadmill 5 days a week and I have lost not one single pound. I'm crying as I type this because I just want to give up. I want to lose 20 pounds but I feel like its never going to happen and I hate myself.

Replies

• MicahandMegan
    Options
    I wish I could offer support but I'm in the same boat. Except I gave up. Trying to get back on the wagon but no motivation. I'm sorry I cant help but just know your not alone.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Wow. It sounds like you're doing everything right! How many calories a day are you eating? Are you eating all (or most) of the calories MPF tells you to?
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    Don't give up.. What are you doing for sodium and water intake? Did you measure yourself when you first started?? I noticed a difference in inches before pounds. Try doing some weight training with it. Just cardio doesn't work for me. Good Luck..remember.."good things...take time." Add me if you would like.
  • stylelush646
    stylelush646 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    hm...the only things i can think of is that you either are not eating enough or you need to change your exercise rountine. are u also weight training? or make it 6 days a week of exercise instead of 6. thats what i did and it worked for me. hope this serves u well.
  • PommedeTerre
    Options
    That is an impressive workout! Congratulations to you on your determination and will power. You sound like you are doing a great workout but why not vary it? Varying exercise is key and wonderful. Try running/walking 3-4 days a week, yoga for stretching once/week and maybe spin class or cross-ramp the other day. Also think about this... Maybe you are losing INCHES and fat but gaining muscle mass? Muscle weighs more than fat does. Maybe take measurements and keep track of those on here??
  • dasskinny
    dasskinny Posts: 56
    Options
    Try changing things up, your body gets to a peak and needs different excercise to get it going again, add in weights, try jogging outside :-) Good Luck.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what has worked for me but remember everyone is different and other people might not agree with me.
    I never eat back all of my exercise calories, sometimes I eat back some.
    Make sure your activity level is accurate.
    Try tracking measurements rather than pounds.
    Do what you hate, it trains your muscles in different ways.
    Try a different/new exercise/cardio routine.
  • JLSchmetterling
    Options
    Don't let yourself get discouraged. When you exercise, you gain muscle, and that weighs more than fat. I would take some measurments and go by that and not the scale.
  • JillianElizabeth73
    JillianElizabeth73 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing great, staying active is important. Walking is a good way to exercise but maybe to kick start your weight loss you need to up your heart rate a bit more. Try doing intervals of running and walking instead of only walking. Interval training is a good way to burn fat and increase endurance. If you're eating the right amount of calories and eating the right foods, then changing up your exercise routine should get you on the right track.
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    You need to make your food diary available for others to see. You say you haven't lost any weight, BUT do your clothes fit better, are you wearing different clothes, etc. Are you eating back some if all of your exercise calories on top of your daily alloted calories? Something isn't adding up. Are you sure you are recording your food and portions correctly?

Mary
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Don't stress over scale results, thats the first thing you need to do. If you're too stressed you're not going to loose weight no matter what you do.
    In regards to counting the calories, make sure you've set your lifestyle in your profile correctly and that really reflects the average calories you spend on your average day. Also make sure you weigh everything you eat, if you estimate try to over estimate a good bit as we tend to underestimate by as much as 40 or 50% the amount of calories we intake and in the reverse we also tend to overestimate the amount of calories we burn.
    Are you eating enough calories? Make sure you eat at least some of your exercise calories back, you body need fuel to run and if you run it faster (exercise) it needs more fuel. Make sure you eat mostly alkaline (base) aliments.
    You may also have to increase either the intensity or the time of your exercise.

Also the human body is very complex and reacts differently from person to person to different things. Do some experiements, try eating more vegs, or more carbs, or more protein, see what works for you and stick with it once you find it.

Whatever you do, make sure you enjoy the process and don't stress about it, that's half the battle already won.

Good Luck.
  • morgat17
    morgat17 Posts: 17
    Options
    I understand how discouraging this can be! Very similar things happen to me! So you are logging your food? What are you eating? What does a typical day look like? Are you eating the proper types of food and not just staying in your calorie range? Have you measured yourself? Inches, Body Fat, BMI, etc.? Is there a difference in those things? Could be but just not reflected on the scale? Friend me if you'd like and we can talk more..maybe help each other out! :) Hang in there!
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    One month is not a lot of time for change. Also your body is likely to adjust in terms of lean muscle mass and fat mass more importantly than weight. Most people take years to safely lose weight and you are better off for motivation to set yourself other goals along the way. Why not challenge yourself to try and complete a 5km run as quickly as possible and over time try to beat that? The intensity will aid your weight loss and make you a healthier person rather than just leaner.

Also resistance training adds more muscle mass which will result in a faster metabolism and hence lower body weight assuming you eat your recommended calories
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to offer advice when we can see your diary. It could be a lot of things or it could just be a plateau.
  • abymari87
    abymari87 Posts: 2
    Options
    Do not be discouraged! I understand it can be depressing or whatever... Have you tried checking what you are eating? You could be eating the exact amount of calories a day, but, have you checked the carbs, cals, or sodium per meal?
  • JRW320
    JRW320 Posts: 1
    Options
    DO NOT HATE yourself! You are doing a great job. Maybe you need to change the foods you're eating. Have you ever read the South Beach diet book? It talks about glycemic index and good & bad carbs, etc. Also try changing up your walking. Do different inclines and maybe try some light weights as well. Remember that YOU ARE WORTH IT! It is difficult to lose those pounds that went on so quickly and easily. I'm struggling as well, but I don't want to give up this time. I'm in my 40's and regretting not including exercise and healthy eating throughout my younger years.

Good luck and know that you are not alone. Don't give up. Forgive yourself and keep moving forward. Change things up a bit and maybe that will help (PS - muscle weighs more than fat...do your clothes feel different?)
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    switch it up. add weights or go faster or more incline or different cardio
  • aprizedpozeshun
    Options
    Have you been drinking water? How much? Try a 3 day water flush. 14 glasses day 1, 13 day 2, 12 day 3. Don't give up! Blessings, hugs, and love! SMILE!
  • ladyerin79
    ladyerin79 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't let yourself get discouraged. When you exercise, you gain muscle, and that weighs more than fat. I would take some measurments and go by that and not the scale.

^^^THIS!!!^^^ Only you know your body, and you have to do what's best for you! Don't give up!! You CAN do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat until today. I finally lost .6 of a pound. Not much but I'll take it. :smile: I changed my workouts this past week. I do something different each day. I was told that your body gets accustomed to what your doing and you have to change it up from time to time. I also started doing hand weights a couple of times a week. Good luck!