Need some support. (ED trigger warning)

Options
My name is Madison. I'm vegetarian and 5ft 6in. I don't get much support from my family and friends.
I eat 1200 calories and day and stop eating after 7:30p . I gained a lot of weight after recovering from an eating disorder and want to get back to a healthy weight. I tried to do away with counting calories and obsessing over food completely for my health and it had a bad effect.
(My doctor said 1200 calories was fine so please don't tell me otherwise)
For some reason, my account was deleted

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Does your treatment team, not your general doctor, know that this is occurring? I ask because having come from a background of disordered eating, you would benefit following the advice of a treatment team, not a general doctor. General doctors often have little knowledge of nutrition, because that calorie goal seems aggressive for your height. 1,200 is typically reserved for more shorter females, yet people latch onto that number because it's the one they're familiar with as a female.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you've posted this once, did you not get the answers you were after in that thread?
  • madirmfp
    madirmfp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    you've posted this once, did you not get the answers you were after in that thread?

If you read the whole thing, it said my account was deleted. I have a new account.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    madirmfp wrote: »

If you read the whole thing, it said my account was deleted. I have a new account.

Here you are:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38821040#Comment_38821040
  • madirmfp
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Does your treatment team, not your general doctor, know that this is occurring? I ask because having come from a background of disordered eating, you would benefit following the advice of a treatment team, not a general doctor. General doctors often have little knowledge of nutrition, because that calorie goal seems aggressive for your height. 1,200 is typically reserved for more shorter females, yet people latch onto that number because it's the one they're familiar with as a female.

No, they don't know. It's been so long since I've had treatment. 1200-1700 calories is what I was told to shoot for if I wanted to lose 1.5-2 pounds a week. (More for the more I exercise). I chose the lowest safe number because I want to get the ball rolling ASAP

• madirmfp
    Options

Here you are:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38821040#Comment_38821040

I figured since I didn't have the account that everything with my account would have been deleted.
    Cool beans though thanks.
  • madirmfp
    Options
    Also, I don't have access to that forum directly from my account anymore.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options

No, they don't know. It's been so long since I've had treatment. 1200-1700 calories is what I was told to shoot for if I wanted to lose 1.5-2 pounds a week. (More for the more I exercise). I chose the lowest safe number because I want to get the ball rolling ASAP

How much do you weigh now and how much do you want to weigh?

Lastly, why is the goal weight so important?
  • madirmfp
    Options

I weight 185 and I have a short term goal of 165 (by June) and long term goal of 140. It's important because I've never been this heavy before and I want to feel comfortable in my own skin again. That was a period of time when I was.
  • reneec257
    reneec257 Posts: 39 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You say you want to get to a healthy weight, what weight is that? You look nice in your picture.
    I can tell you what I am doing, I'm not suggesting it, so anyone please don't bash my comments, I'm just saying what works for me. I was counting carbs for like two years, you know low carb diet, but it was a continuous yo-yo. I was ALWAYS craving sweets and breads, etc. Then my church started a 21 day fast called the Daniel Fast. Well this fast is not low carb because you cannot eat meat or dairy on it, which were the two main things I ate being on a low carb diet. So I was like wow, I am probably going to gain weight on this fast because I will be eating wheat based food. Well I did the fast and lost 7 pounds, quit craving bad things, was full all the time because I just ate however much I wanted. Well the fast is over but I kept with it and now I lost 10 pounds. So I am just trying to say, you have to find something that you feel comfortable with, that your not suffering or restricting yourself to the point it becomes a struggle. I hope this helps.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I weight 185 and I have a short term goal of 165 (by June) and long term goal of 140. It's important because I've never been this heavy before and I want to feel comfortable in my own skin again. That was a period of time when I was.

Okay so 165 is 1650-1900kcal a day if you walk 10k steps and manage a moderately active day.
    Now on the other hand if you sit around the house all day and are not very active, 1200 sounds reasonable.

That's if you haven't screwed up your metabolism through your ED.
    Best advice is hire a nutritionist or dietician and exercise a couple times a week.
    And buy Georgie Fears book Lean Habits.
    She's consulted a couple of my clients who are previously ED. Very informative and empathetic to the situation.
  • madirmfp
    Options
    reneec257 wrote: »
    You say you want to get to a healthy weight, what weight is that? You look nice in your picture.
    I can tell you what I am doing, I'm not suggesting it, so anyone please don't bash my comments, I'm just saying what works for me. I was counting carbs for like two years, you know low carb diet, but it was a continuous yo-yo. I was ALWAYS craving sweets and breads, etc. Then my church started a 21 day fast called the Daniel Fast. Well this fast is not low carb because you cannot eat meat or dairy on it, which were the two main things I ate being on a low carb diet. So I was like wow, I am probably going to gain weight on this fast because I will be eating wheat based food. Well I did the fast and lost 7 pounds, quit craving bad things, was full all the time because I just ate however much I wanted. Well the fast is over but I kept with it and now I lost 10 pounds. So I am just trying to say, you have to find something that you feel comfortable with, that your not suffering or restricting yourself to the point it becomes a struggle. I hope this helps.

140 is my long term goal. Thank you for the advice. Carbs are my life! I eat so many different pastas being vegetarian.
    Not like everyday but often (could be reason for some of my weight gain)
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

[/quote]

You can friend me if you would like support. I am much older than you lol I'm 65. I eat 1200 calories per day and do not limit myself. I started with nutrisystem to get my portions under control. I still use it but have incorporated regular meals now too. My sw was 224, my cw is 168.4 My goal is 150, maybe I would like to go to 140 but that isn't really important to me, (Its just a thought from my young days) and I will see what my doctor thinks once I reach my 150. I am also 5'6".
  • madirmfp
    Options

Okay so 165 is 1650-1900kcal a day if you walk 10k steps and manage a moderately active day.
    Now on the other hand if you sit around the house all day and are not very active, 1200 sounds reasonable.

That's if you haven't screwed up your metabolism through your ED.
    Best advice is hire a nutritionist or dietician and exercise a couple times a week.
    And buy Georgie Fears book Lean Habits.
    She's consulted a couple of my clients who are previously ED. Very informative and empathetic to the situation.

I work out 3-4 times a week as of now. I plan to work up to 5 days. I think I'm going to stick to 1200 during the weekdays and 2000 on weekend days so it evens out. My friends like to go out to eat in weekends and I don't want to miss out too much.
    Thanks so much. I'll get that book I think
  • Drueru
    Drueru Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!! I'm thinking maybe if you can't give up carbs start consuming sprouted grains wherever possible. Silver Hills makes some amazing sprouted grain bread and you could always get rice pastas. Try to avoid wheat
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Drueru wrote: »
    Hang in there!! I'm thinking maybe if you can't give up carbs start consuming sprouted grains wherever possible. Silver Hills makes some amazing sprouted grain bread and you could always get rice pastas. Try to avoid wheat

Nothing wrong with wheat if you have no intolerance. Nothing wrong with any foods.

I have read the other thread and this one and your responses do come across as worrying. You're over-restricting and want to have pretty fast results. No contact with your treatment team whilst embarking on this also seems like a bad idea. I can see why your account was deleted, it's probably felt that the road you are on isn't appropriate to you at this time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Absent a medical condition, there's no reason to give up carbs as a group unless low carb helps one with adherence to a calorie deficit. I pair carby foods like pasta, which I do not find satiating, with carby foods like legumes, which I do. (Simple pasta e fagioli.)

I eat less high calorie baked goods and more lower calorie fruit. I've found increasing fiber and protein helps me quite a bit with satiety.
  • madirmfp
    Options

Nothing wrong with wheat if you have no intolerance. Nothing wrong with any foods.

I have read the other thread and this one and your responses do come across as worrying. You're over-restricting and want to have pretty fast results. No contact with your treatment team whilst embarking on this also seems like a bad idea. I can see why your account was deleted, it's probably felt that the road you are on isn't appropriate to you at this time.

I didn't see anything wrong with my responses. I'm just being honest and doing my best. I haven't had treatment in a long time so my treatment team wouldn't be the same. I've been told that my calorie intake is acceptable. Thanks for the rice pasta info. I do love rice!!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Please, please be aware that as a former ED sufferer, counting and restricting calories is a slippery slope. If you want to lose weight, you really need to do it under the guidance of a nutritionist with ED experience. Honestly, I would spend my time and energy focusing on accepting the body you have. It's not worth falling back into ED just to lose a few pounds.
  • madirmfp
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Please, please be aware that as a former ED sufferer, counting and restricting calories is a slippery slope. If you want to lose weight, you really need to do it under the guidance of a nutritionist with ED experience. Honestly, I would spend my time and energy focusing on accepting the body you have. It's not worth falling back into ED just to lose a few pounds.

Thank you. But it's not a few pounds and 45 pounds and it's starting to effect my health and make small tasks unenjoyable. I already know that counting calories can be triggering , which is why I made the post. I'm under the supervision of my doctor and if things fall out of hand , she will make sure I get help. But I'm confident that it won't come to that.
    Thank you so much for your concern