I don't understand.

Options
Im 5'6" and weigh 255 pounds. Ive been counting calories for 21 days. Most days I stay under 1300 calories but occasionally I do go over but not to a complete 2000. I go to the gym and do cardio AT LEAST every other day. Sometimes I get to go more often, but when I'm there, I go 5-6 miles on the stationary bikes and then will either walk 1.5 miles on the treadmill or I will do a weight training 30 min. Full body curcuit. I am killing it! But the numbers on the scale aren't reflecting all the work I'm puting in. What am I doing wrong????

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have you lost anything?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    can you open up your diary? (if it isn't already)
  • GummyLionGirl
    GummyLionGirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, I'm logging in accurately. I measure my food, and no.. Very seldom do I eat out. Maybe once every 2 weeks. I've been going to the gym longer than ive been counting calories, so the gym exercise isn't really 'new' I weigh myself once a week, if I did it any more often, I'm afraid I'd get discouraged. Thank you for your response though. ☺
  • GummyLionGirl
    Options
    I lost 3, but it just seems so little

• GummyLionGirl
    Options

I haven't opened it, I'm afraid of what ppl would say on my 'bad' days
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    don't think about it as oh, I only lost 3lbs, but yay I'm 3lbs closer to my goal - we tend to minimize our small successes but they are key to long-term success

please open up your diary
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

I haven't opened it, I'm afraid of what ppl would say on my 'bad' days
    If you have too many "bad days" it can cancel out all the work you do on the good days.......
  • GummyLionGirl
    Options
    don't think about it as oh, I only lost 3lbs, but yay I'm 3lbs closer to my goal - we tend to minimize our small successes but they are key to long-term success

please open up your diary

Im gonna open it. Just don't be too harsh
  • deannalfisher
    edited February 2017
    Options
    we won't be harsh but we want to help you...and trust me - my log is horrible with the amount of candy I eat at times - but I log everything (and down 8lbs and now focusing on performance in the last 3 months)

BTW - my diary is open if you want to look at it
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Everyone on this website has their "bad days" or at least their own definition of it. Maybe you could open it just to get help on this topic and close it back. If you don't want to open it, you are probably eating at maintenance calories, not accurately weighing your food, or lacking a bit of patience. For your height and size, under 1300 calories doesn't seem like enough. Also, remember that it doesn't matter if you go 'balls to the wall' in the gym - you must still eat under maintenance to lose weight. I used to bust my *kitten* in the gym - but I overate all the time. At that time, I saw little to no progress with weight loss. Keep in mind, you don't even have to work out to lose weight. Calories are King. best of luck.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    My food diary is mess too! We won't be harsh, honest.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I didn't look at a ton of days but one thing I am seeing is that you are going over on sodium every day I did look at. That can lead to water retention, which could mask any actual losses on the scale.

So one suggestion would be to eat fewer packaged/processed foods. It makes the prep time longer in many cases, but it should definitely cut down on sodium and on water retention.

Good luck!
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Three weeks aint that long so I wouldn't be worried. But I'd take on board the good advice others have gave on this thread. I was at not a too dissimilar weight to you when I started (232lb) and I started slowly and then I started cardio / going to the gym 4 times a week I lost about 1lb a week. Be in it for the long haul dude, take it one day / week at a time and you'll kill it ! :-)
  • GummyLionGirl
    Options
    bmayes2014 wrote: »
    Everyone on this website has their "bad days" or at least their own definition of it. Maybe you could open it just to get help on this topic and close it back. If you don't want to open it, you are probably eating at maintenance calories, not accurately weighing your food, or lacking a bit of patience. For your height and size, under 1300 calories doesn't seem like enough. Also, remember that it doesn't matter if you go 'balls to the wall' in the gym - you must still eat under maintenance to lose weight. I used to bust my *kitten* in the gym - but I overate all the time. At that time, I saw little to no progress with weight loss. Keep in mind, you don't even have to work out to lose weight. Calories are King. best of luck.

Thank you. :)
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You're taking in a lot of sodium - for some people this can lead to bloating and water retention.
    How are you measuring your workout calories?

Best of luck to you!
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm having this same issue and am so frustrated. I am meticulous with my diary, and work out at least 60 minutes six times per week. I have been to the doctor and she just said to focus on health and measurements. I try to drink at least 128 ounces of water a day. For real though, it's so defeating. For my mental health, I am going to do as the doctor says.
  • GummyLionGirl
    Options
    faramelee wrote: »
    You're taking in a lot of sodium - for some people this can lead to bloating and water retention.
    How are you measuring your workout calories?

Best of luck to you!

I just measure calories by whatever pops up on the exercise from this app