tell me about your fish

Options
preparation
is there an easy way to cook fish? which ones do you buy? fresh/frozen/precooked?

i have a bag of frozen mahi mahi but my boyfriend cooks that. i want to buy something easy for me to cook- and i'm not that great at cooking. TIA!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I bake my fish in the oven. It's quick, easy and doesn't stick to a pan.

I usually have a white fish (snapper of some description) that I buy fresh, portion out and freeze.. I get a piece out in the morning to defrost for dinner. I cook salmon the same way - almost cooked through, but finished in a pan to crisp the skin.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    We like Swai. It's a mild, white fleshed fish that cooks well on the grill or baked in the oven. I prefer to marinate it for a few hours and grill it for fish tacos! Other than that I eat tuna a lot and salmon once in a while. I can occasionally find Steelhead fillets which I love on the grill.

I generally lay the fillets on a sheet of no-stick foil and cook it until it's done to my eye.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I buy something fresh every grocery trip. DW prefers cod, clean firm white fish. Throw it in the oven wrapped in foil, add butter, lemon juice, parsley(or other herbs) bake at 350f till it flakes(big fluffy hunks)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Frozen salmon, skin up on parchment paper. Bake for 30 minites at 400. It doesn't get much easier.

I do similar with frozen tilapia, but I thaw that first by putting the vacuum packs in water while the oven preheats to 425. Blot the filets with a paper towel after removing them from the packs, drop on parchment, bake 10 minutes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I live in the desert, so I buy frozen fish...we go through a lot of Alaskan Sockeye and Alaskan Cod that we buy at Costco.

Sometimes I grill, sometimes I pan fry, sometimes I bake in the oven...just depends...I find all three to be very easy.
  • Giuliaborg
    Giuliaborg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Fresh or frozen salmon in the oven is delicious, and you do not need to add anything!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Fish fillet. Add lemon pepper. Put olive oil or butter in pan. Cook fish on medium about 4 minutes per side. Check with meat thermometer. Serve. Overall time about 10 minutes.
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Baked salmon!!! No extra oil needed and it's DELICIOUS!!
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Boneless, Skinless, Cod and Haddock, will be among your easiest options.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    My go-to's are salmon and cod. Depending on what I'm in the mood for, I'll either pan fry, bake, broil, poach or salt-crust bake. I normally just season with salt and pepper, as I enjoy the taste of fish on its own. Although sometimes I'll use a cajun spice mix and blacken it. Adding a bit of acid after the fish is cooked helps cut some of the fishy flavor. Lemon's a pretty standard choice, but vinegar (especially balsamic) adds a nice dimension.

For salmon specifically, I prefer fillets. Scoring the skin prior to pan frying makes it easier to achieve a crispy skin (IMO), which I find delicious.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Fish feel pain.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Ziploc's Zip'N'Steam Bags. You just throw your fish (and veggies, if you'd like) into the bag, sprinkle in some seasonings, then zip and microwave. You can have healthy a healthy meal from frozen in about 5-6 minutes.

I'll buy whatever is on sale, but I do especially like salmon and cod. Tilapia is a cheap go-to as well. Usually I buy frozen, but I will occasionally buy fresh salmon if its cheap. You can't beat fresh salmon.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I do a huge amount of fishing as my son and I live near the Coast. We have fish 2x a week, and I am a single dad, so I do all the cooking. For Mahi, I would make fish tacos. Sautee in a pan with a very small amount of olive oil and some decent spices. Serve up with some salsa, slaw, and maybe some spicy sauce :)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I do a huge amount of fishing as my son and I live near the Coast. We have fish 2x a week, and I am a single dad, so I do all the cooking. For Mahi, I would make fish tacos. Sautee in a pan with a very small amount of olive oil and some decent spices. Serve up with some salsa, slaw, and maybe some spicy sauce :)

I like your style! B)
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks CafeRacer. Anyone need recipes, hit me up. I even started doing my own sushi and sushimi. We catch some Tuna and Yellowtail every year, and that is amazing food
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Salmon - bake on a cookie sheet in a hot oven, 450 for 8-10 min depending on thickness works in my oven
    Cod - bake with topping, usually a coating of mayo/lemon with some ritz crumbs or panko on top, 400 for 20 min or so in a 9x13 pan
    Flounder - dredge in seasoned flour and pan fry in olive oil or cooking spray, serve with lemon juice and/or tartar sauce
    Tuna - salt/pepper and cook in a hot skillet until just brown on either side, raw in the middle
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I swear I thought the title meant you wanted us to tell you about our pet fish. I have a betta. :)

I can't persuade anyone else here to tolerate seafood, so my intake consists of tuna, sardines, and the occasional sushi or fish and chips.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Fish feel pain.

Did I miss the question that this is an answer to?
  • jbarry1506
    jbarry1506 Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Fresh, wild caught salmon topped with Rotel Habanero Tomatoes, baked @ 425 for 10-12 minutes, spanish rice, also with the tomatoes, and asparagus.