Females opinions on this

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
So I was listening to KGO (talk radio) and a business woman named Heather Monahan was the guest. And one of the things she said was that in the professional world, if a female goes into an interview at a company, men will be curious about her, but females will be offended by her. I'm like really?
Do women really feel some sense of insecurity when another female may be added to the professional staff?
Again this was her view as a business entrpeneur and coaching females for interviews.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that before. Did she say how the insecurities manifested? I'm kind of curious.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That mean girl stuff never completely goes away but I'd say the ones offended have pretty low self-esteem. I would definitely say they are in the minority.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have seen and experienced it both ways. Women can be catty everywhere you go. I have had great women mentors, really bad women bosses and supervisors. Insecurities I have seen arise when a new girl comes into territory that women feel is or can be a threat.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    "Offended"?? That's such a weird choice of words.
    No, I have never felt this way. I work in a very male-dominated field, so whenever a woman interviews or is hired, I'm pretty stoked to see a little more diversity.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I just tend to stay away from females.. I have a very bad experience and the only female boss I've had... got fired cause she said straight out: "I don't like women and I'm not gonna like you" to a female coworker.. So this might be true.. I don't know.. maybe ?
    I honestly just feel very distrustful when a woman enters my life.. But I don't feel insecure or that I'm threatened, I just stay back and don't get attached :)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    "Offended"?? That's such a weird choice of words.
    No, I have never felt this way. I work in a very male-dominated field, so whenever a woman interviews or is hired, I'm pretty stoked to see a little more diversity.

This is how I always felt. I just left my job last month and now I'm only around other moms, but for 18 years I worked with men with an occasional woman here or there.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    I just tend to stay away from females.. I have a very bad experience and the only female boss I've had... got fired cause she said straight out: "I don't like women and I'm not gonna like you" to a female coworker.. So this might be true.. I don't know.. maybe ?
    I honestly just feel very distrustful when a woman enters my life.. But I don't feel insecure or that I'm threatened, I just stay back and don't get attached :)

This' so true for, me but only if, they're attracted to; me. I've had 2 separate women tell me that, I need to get raped when; I didn't reciprocate their interest & sadly the, 2nd 1 I; knew had been.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I believe she also said that if a female wanted another female out of the company, she would covertly go about doing it. Before she got off, they were talking about Trump's tweets about his daughter's clothing line being pulled and one of the female hosts and Heather got into a little debate that started to get a bit heated. I didn't get a chance to listen to her whole guest spot, but I believe it's on KGO's site. I'll have to check.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Carbkiller1970
    Carbkiller1970 Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    I don't gossip. Probably cause I don't care what other people do plays no factor in my life
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Haven't experienced this personally, have always gotten along well with female coworkers. I work mostly with men in IT and sadly don't generally have as many women in this particular field. But I think it depends.
    Some women are territorial because they feel they've been taught to be tough in the workforce to "be like a man" and feel as if roles for women in a business are few enough as it is....
    Some women would be bitchy if the candidate was attractive (jealous, insecure, catty, judgmental) but wouldn't care if the candidate was not as attractive.

I currently have a fantastic (female) boss.
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    bishes don't like other bishes stepping on their territory.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Some of my best managers have been female, so has my worst manager. Never had a bad experience at a job interview with females and I have also hired men and women. I judge people on their skills and if they will fit into the team. Weather they are male or female does not really matter.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Again you can't paint everyone with the same brush, but in my experience many women are more competitive, not just in business, but in general, which i think does go back to their own insecurities.
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been in the nonprofit sector for 25 years. I learned a long time ago not to let yourself get caught up in the drama that goes on. I find it odd that people tend to flock to my office to spill their guts...about work, coworkers, their love lives, etc. I think it is perhaps because I don't encourage or judge. I simply listen.
    On another note, I've been interviewing for new jobs and have found a bit of age discrimination going on.

• cnadiger
    cnadiger Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the higher I go in position, the bishier the other women get. Probably because it's still somewhat unusual to find a woman in the executive group in this male dominated industry and the idea of being the only woman is kinda empowering. Don't want another alpha bish in the pack!!
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have never noticed anything like this, nor have any of my female friends. Although I am not an office professional. Unless she surveyed women or is a industrial psychologist with research to back up her opinions I would say her experience would be limited to her industry or location.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Some women yes. Its a territory thing to some. I don't think its offended or insecurities. Just a territory thing.