Do you eat back calories earned from fit bit?

Options
I am 5'2 136 pounds with a goal weight of 115. My daily calorie goal is 1400 but today it is adding 450 calories just from walking and doing my normal routine and it's only noon!. How is it possible to be in a deficient and eat over 1800 calories? It just doesn't not sound right to me.

Replies

• cordney
    cordney Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I feel like my Fitbit overestimates calories burned so I don't eat them. My calorie goal is 1970 though so it's plenty. I don't usually feel the need to eat more than that.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    what's your activity setting on MFP?
  • Molly_234
    Molly_234 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    what's your activity setting on MFP?

I put sedentary because I work a desk job and pretty much sit all day long. I do exercise 3 to 5 days a week. Nothing crazy just some cycling and a little strength training. I don't feel like I work out hard enough to log the exercise.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Mine are extremely high, so I don't eat anywhere near all of them
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Are you losing? If so then eat some of them back. I use them as a buffer, I eat up to 50% of mine, depends how the day is going though. I agree it feels odd eating them back. Try it and see how you go
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Half way through my 60 lb loss I synced a fitbit, ate the extra calories it gave me and my loss completely stopped for a few months. I think the extra steps were covering for logging errors. Unhooked them and picked the loss back up.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    1800 would put my sister in a deficit and she is smaller than you...

I eat them back when I need them otherwise eh as long as I hit 1600 gross I am good.
  • chuckharrison29016
    Options
    I don't eat more just because it says I have extra calories after a workout. I try to stick to my meal plan and only snack if I'm hungry.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back. If I get super hungry and I worked out that day I may let myself have 100-200cal back but usually I stick to my calorie goal.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day/my hunger levels. Like an above poster, I use them as a buffer. Try to not eat more than 50% of them though, if I can help it.
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like to drink them.

Vouch.
  • JennyRATL
    Options
    Totally off topic, but whenever I see this thread listed, I read it as "do you eat black calories....."

And I'm all confused thinking there is yet ANOTHER fitness/weight loss thing I have to learn about....black calories.
  • CaffeinatedRats
    CaffeinatedRats Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    JennyRATL wrote: »
    Totally off topic, but whenever I see this thread listed, I read it as "do you eat black calories....."

And I'm all confused thinking there is yet ANOTHER fitness/weight loss thing I have to learn about....black calories.

Excuse me, they prefer to be called African American calories, thank you. ;P
  • JennyRATL
    Options
    :p my bad.

I was thinking of it in terms of an account...red bad, black good!
  • Mad_Goose
    Mad_Goose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I only eat mine back if I'm hungry. I just make sure I eat enough to get my 1200 net. The only time I don't do that is on a saterday night. On saterday I like to go to the pub for a drink or two with some freinds. I make sure I walk there to get extra steps in and I have all my exercise callories.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Some, but not all - I too feel like it's too generous with calories burned.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree with @janejellyroll. My Fitbit is very accurate at calculating my TDEE. When I eat back my calories I still lose. I am set to sedentary so that on a weekend that is lazier than normal, I simply don't have as many extra calories to eat.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    1800 would put my sister in a deficit and she is smaller than you...

I eat them back when I need them otherwise eh as long as I hit 1600 gross I am good.

And I'm 5'4 114lbs and I would be gaining mad weight on 1800cals. I bulked on 1750. Can't compare person to person.

At OP...I'm also set to sedentary and get similar Fitbit calories. Again...if I ate them all I would definitely be gaining. I tend to eat 1/4-1/2 of them depending on how much I feel I can get away with based on my day.