Resting Metabolic Rate Testing

Options
Has anyone ever had the Resting Metabolic Rate testing done?
If so, did you find it to be accurate or helpful? I'd have to drive an hour to have it done and it's $100 so I'd really like some feedback!

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I have never had it done, and i don't really see the need.
    I have however tracked my food and weight pretty meticulously for a few months and know pretty dang close to what my maintenance calories are. It's not going to be perfect, but it's close enough for me.
    I don't know off hand how accurate testing would be, but knowing what I know from my own tracking, I wouldn't see the need to spend money on it when I can just track/log for free.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I had it done at the local university a couple of years ago - while it wasn't anything mind-shattering on the results - it did help me counter some of the advice I got that I should only be eating a certain amount of calories (that was below my RMR)
  • barefootdahl
    barefootdahl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's my issue, I've been tracking faithfully for several months and have tweaked my calorie goal a few times, always giving it a few weeks to see if it's the right level for me and I still cannot reach even 1lb per week of consistent loss.
    I work out 5 days per week and measure my food. It took me over a year to lose 20lbs and I have 60 to go. I've had my thyroid etc tested and have no issues there.

I'm tired, lol! I've heard it's very accurate but am looking for feedback from someone that has actually had it done because I'm sick of tweaking and analyzing etc. If this test can help give me a baseline to go by, then I'd be happy.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    That's my issue, I've been tracking faithfully for several months and have tweaked my calorie goal a few times, always giving it a few weeks to see if it's the right level for me and I still cannot reach even 1lb per week of consistent loss.
    I work out 5 days per week and measure my food. It took me over a year to lose 20lbs and I have 60 to go. I've had my thyroid etc tested and have no issues there.

I'm tired, lol! I've heard it's very accurate but am looking for feedback from someone that has actually had it done because I'm sick of tweaking and analyzing etc. If this test can help give me a baseline to go by, then I'd be happy.

Keep in mind weight loss is never linear. A rate of "1 lb a week" for me might look like no pounds one week, 2 lbs another. Half a pound the next. Etc etc. Too many factors go into what the scale says, especially as a woman - TOM loves to play tricks on the scale.
    For me a few weeks is not enough time to gather feedback before making changes. I pick my number, I stick with it a long time.
    Maybe taking a closer look at your logging would be beneficial?
    20 lbs is a great start, so you're obviously on the right track.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Just use this- it's pretty accurate and free:

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    "Consistent loss" isn't going to happen no matter what. Weight fluctuations mask weight loss from week to week, you need to average a couple months of loss to see if you are losing a pound a week.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Try weighing everything you eat on a digital food scale. You might be surprised to learn that measuring scoops aren't accurate.

RMR testing can be reasonably accurate if you follow all their "rules" exactly, like no food for several hours prior, etc.

RMR still omits your activity level, which rarely can be calculated with precision. So personally i don't see the point of testing if you're making progress from month to month. :+1:
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine how this information would be worth $100 to you. The answer is still going to be "eat less or burn more" if you're dissatisfied with your rate of loss.
  • barefootdahl
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has replied concerning my time line, nutrition, weighing food etc, but I am really just looking for input from people who have actually had this done.
    I've been dieting and tracking for YEARS. I gained weight with the birth of child and what always worked for me is no longer the case, so I know what I need to be doing and I am doing it. That is why I say that I'm now tracking faithfully, I took time off of diet and fitness when my son was an infant/ early toddler.

However, weight loss still alludes me. I understand 20lbs over a year is progress and that nothing is linear, however when tracking fluctuations or lack of movement over a year, I think that these formulas that MFP use may not work for ME. Weight loss is individual to us all, I know that. That is why I am interested in seeing if my RMR is frighteningly low and I need to take time to repair that or if my RMR is in fact average and I need to focus more on fitness or no sugars or paleo etc.
    I just want that base line, but I do not want to waste my time if SOMEONE WHO HAS ALREADY DONE THIS says they did it and it was useless. Hence, why I am asking for that specific insight.
    Again, thank you all for the feedback. I look forward to hearing more from someone who has had this test done.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    yes I have done it; yes I found it useful for me!
  • barefootdahl
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I can't imagine how this information would be worth $100 to you. The answer is still going to be "eat less or burn more" if you're dissatisfied with your rate of loss.

Thank you, I know that is the answer. My question for the test is see just how low I need to be going if 1500, 1400, 1300 or 1200 isn't producing results even with workouts added in.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Well, it's your money. Odds are some people find it useful and others don't.

Oh, look. That's what this thread says. If you have the time and the money, burn it how you want to.
  • barefootdahl
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I have access to one in our metabolics lab and ran a self study going off Synthroid. First of all I was shocked at how close the result was in comparison to online calculations. BMR/REE doesn't change much and the only standout variable is muscle mass.

I would definitely not pay for a test - use that money elsewhere.

Thank you, that is helpful. I've done BMR calculations online aside from MFP as well as TDEE calculators... maybe I just need to take the average of all this results, lol!! Thanks again.
  • barefootdahl
    Options
    yes I have done it; yes I found it useful for me!

Thanks so much! Did the number they gave you help with setting your calorie intake and did that change how you were losing weight?
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    my RMR was somewhere in the 1350 realm - so it made me acknowledge that the 1200cal that MFP initially had me on several years ago wasn't doable long-term

I've refined my eating over the last few years - focusing on TDEE and now focusing on body recomp vs losing weight - which has helped
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I actually has it done at a Chiropractor's office for $50. It was SUPER useful in helping me set my caloric intake goals. I was surprised to find out I didn't burn as many calories as most people think they would. 2000 cals a day? That's entirely too much for me when I only burn 1460. After that, I've tried to keep my calories under 1300 everyday while also exercising. I've lost 50 pounds in 6 months after being thorough with calorie counting

Try asking your primary doctor or maybe a local gym or community center to find a cheaper version of the test.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Orangetheory has them during their weight loss challenges. You pay $25 and get 3 tests and private nutrition coaching. The nutrition coaching + pushing my workouts was key for me. I've discovered in my 30s that I need to run FAST and lift HEAVY in order to see results that came easily in my 20s. I also need to be substantially more conscious of what i'm putting in my body. Having said all of that. Finding out that my RMR was 1424 was eye opening. Without a workout every day, I'm basically starving just to maintain weight.