How many calories

Options
I have been doing sw for a while with very poor results. I exercise 3 to 4 times weekly water aerobics and zumba. I am aged 59 and weigh 148 pounds 5 foot 1 inch. I am looking at calorie counting but feel 1200 too low which is what MFP says. Please any help as to how many too eat, looked at the online calculators and they all say different

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    In My Fitness Pal - 1200 is a default minimum (before exercise) based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week."

You can start with 1200, log exercise and then eat 50-75% of those calories back. OR If your exercise is consistent use a TDEE calculator that includes exercise up front. Then you don't log exercise. Scoobys is popular........http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

They are all different, because they are all estimates. Just pick something you can live with for awhile. You want to stick with it, too low calories will be frustrating and not losing enough weight weekly can be frustrating.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    how much weight loss per week do you have it set to?

im 5'1 and eat more than that

also make sure your activity level is correct
  • boofle2
    boofle2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi I have it set to 1 pound per week, it calculstes my exercise as 1177 calories for the 4 sessions. I do not eat my calories earned through exercise
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Nope. 1200 sounds right for your height and weight. Sorry!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat 1200 (based on your stats, goal) PLUS exercise calories.

You have options:

Change to .5 pounds per week, get more calories per day and aim to lose weight slower.
    Eat additional for your exercise.
    Increase your non-exercise activity level in real life, and also adjust it on MFP - should result in a higher calorie allotment.

Or do some combination of all 3.
  • boofle2
    Options
    Looked at scooby it says bmr 1302, tdee 1791 calories at 20% reduction 1432 does thud mean to consume 1432 to lose weight
  • boofle2
    Options
    I have it set to one pound per week to lose and it says my calories from exercise are 1177 for the 4 sessions, but I don't eat these
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    yes - if you consuming less than 1791 a day you will lose weight - 20% would be 1432; 10% would be 1610 - more aggressive will have it come off faster
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    boofle2 wrote: »
    Hi I have it set to 1 pound per week, it calculstes my exercise as 1177 calories for the 4 sessions. I do not eat my calories earned through exercise

But this is how MFP is designed. You earned those calories.....or at least some of them (calorie burns are guesstimates).

1177/ 4 = 294 calories - round to 300.
    1177/ 7 = 168 calories - round to 170.

1200 + 50% of 300 = 1350 on exercise days and 1200 on non-exercise days.

If you don't like high and low days then 1200 + 50% of 170 = 1285 seven days a week

If you find you are losing more than 1 pound a week.....eat more than 50% of exercise calories. If you find you are losing less than 1 pound a week.....eat less than 50% of exercise calories.

A TDEE calculator simply includes the exercise up front. The % deduction each week is similar to ....."I want to lose xx pounds per week"
  • boofle2
    Options
    Thank you
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you are using 2 different measures to determine calories

MFP - based on NEAT - base calories and then eat back a portion of exercise calories
    Scooby - based on TDEE - assuming consistent energy expenditure; do not eat back calories