Would a toaster oven be worth the kitchen space and price?

2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    My main issue with used is that it's really tough to clean them and I wouldn't trust the cleanness of a used appliance.
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    I adore mine! It's a higher end Kitchen Aid that can fit quite large things in it, but only takes up the footprint of a small microwave 14' x 10'. Extremely easy to clean, many features and no, it doesn't in any way heat up my teeny tiny studio apartment like the oven does. It is just over 8 years old and very well taken care of so it looks new still, I hate grubby kitchen items! It cooks evenly and has never let me down, and that's unfortunate that other models may be lacking that basic ability, bah!

Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I love mine...a black & decker space maker, so it's mounted under the cabinet...there is only a small amount of heat around it, definitely way less than using the big oven or even stovetop...about as much as a coffee pot...
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    4rita wrote: »
    We use a toaster oven instead of the oven all summer long so as to not heat up the house. As CafeRacer808 stated there are some great benefits to getting a toaster oven.

Our old one just died after 15 years and that one was a Delonghi. We just got a Breville Smart Oven as a replacement and really like it. We did some research before purchasing this one and it has some great review and we really do like it.

When looking for one - just be sure to check out what the interior dimensions are going to be so you know exactly what will fit inside of it. (such as, if you are planning on putting a whole chicken in there - just be sure to get one that will accommodate a chicken) I recently saw that Wolfgang Puck has a Pressure Oven that will fit a 14 pound turkey in it and comes in a Rotisserie model if you are into that. That one has a 1 cubic foot of interior space. Our Breville Smart oven has .8 cubic feet of interior space. There are also smaller ones available as well. Prices vary as well from site to site so be sure to comparison shop when making your purchase.

The Wolfgang Puck Pressure Oven is featured on OpenSky right now for a really good price $119.99 https://www.opensky.com/premier-appliance/product/wolfgang-puck-pressure-oven-original-29-liter-stainless-steel-countertop-oven?gclid=CjwKEAiA6OnFBRDcgt7YmPKI33ESJACJoTJY51Ri7225zmcavC3jZAgFkHgpuyX0fTBcymwYsceIsxoC7RTw_wcB&max_discount=1&configurationId=576164514e3d6ffe578b4bc5&osky_origin=googlepla&osky_source=cse&osky_campaign=nonadvertiserproducts&ef_id=WK9oAwAAADXtDi9h:20170304184539:s If this link doesn't work, look up OpenSky and search Kitchen Appliances.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    4rita wrote: »
    We use a toaster oven instead of the oven all summer long so as to not heat up the house. As CafeRacer808 stated there are some great benefits to getting a toaster oven.

Our old one just died after 15 years and that one was a Delonghi. We just got a Breville Smart Oven as a replacement and really like it. We did some research before purchasing this one and it has some great review and we really do like it.

When looking for one - just be sure to check out what the interior dimensions are going to be so you know exactly what will fit inside of it. (such as, if you are planning on putting a whole chicken in there - just be sure to get one that will accommodate a chicken) I recently saw that Wolfgang Puck has a Pressure Oven that will fit a 14 pound turkey in it and comes in a Rotisserie model if you are into that. That one has a 1 cubic foot of interior space. Our Breville Smart oven has .8 cubic feet of interior space. There are also smaller ones available as well. Prices vary as well from site to site so be sure to comparison shop when making your purchase.

OpenSky has the Wolfgang Puck for $119.95
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Being in the UK, I have no idea what a toaster oven is (either we don't have them or they're called something different, although I can't think what) but if your main oven is the issue, why not look for a new oven with two compartments? Mine has a larger oven compartment at the bottom and a smaller one at the top (which also has a grill element). Most of the time, I just use that top oven as I'm not cooking anything large enough for it to be worth heating the main one. Separate controls mean I can cook things at different temperatures - and I don't have another gadget on my worktop.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Thread is 3.5 years old. I certainly hope the OP has made a decision about her oven by now or she may be very, very hungry! 😂
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I use an air fryer in the summer. It is so well insulated that it is not hot to the touch when running at highest temperature. It is great for cooking things like skin on chicken thighs and wings, skin on fish, baking frozen french fries, roast vegetables.

If you plan to bake, however, the air fryer is not a great choice. Top heat only. I have made banana bread in it but the top scorched. If you must bake cakes in the air fryer, cover the top of with foil. Also the fan of the air fryer is quite violent, so I need to weigh light objects down. I use a tightly fitting piece of silicon mesh (you can cut these to size with scissors) to hold down things like coconut flakes which I toast in the air fryer. For grilled cheese sandwiches I use the silicon mesh topped with a teaspoon to prevent my sandwich from blowing apart.

In the summer, when I don't want to turn on the oven to melt some cheese on toast I use a blow torch.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I’ve used a toaster oven nearly every day for over 40 years. The first one lasted 35 years and I’ve been through several since 🤪