Weight watchers vs mfp

Options
Hey all,

I'm no stranger to MFP and logging and seem to flip flop between MFP and WW! However, I'm getting close to renewing my WW monthly membership and recently logged back onto MFP! I can't be doing both lol!
Should I stay with WW or switch back to here?
I've lost with WW but very very slowly... 10 lbs since September and I'm ok with that... just wondering if I'm done with points?!? Anyone else done both?

Replies

• snowprincess502
    snowprincess502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do both Weight Watchers and MFP. Have Had good results with both.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Mfp, it's free and once you learn about macros and the whole concept of IIFYM (If it fits your macros), you don't need anything else.

Yes!!! IIFYM is life!
  • dra11op1
    dra11op1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mfp, it's free and once you learn about macros and the whole concept of IIFYM (If it fits your macros), you don't need anything else.

Maybe a silly question but is there somewhere specific that you can learn about the importance of macros and IIFYM?
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    both have the same formula in a not shell. they converted calories into points, and gave u a deficit of points to lose weight. MFP didn't convert calories in the points however, they give u a number in deficit to lose weight. they are both at the end of the day the same thing
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    dra11op1 wrote: »

Maybe a silly question but is there somewhere specific that you can learn about the importance of macros and IIFYM?

just search the net, its everywhere. macros are protein, fats and carbs. a certain number of each adds up to reach a calorie count. to lose weight u need to be in deficit with calories.

if you're really interested check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyksDdsXhT8&list=PLbEgu0XFSZk4GwFcWQhpauajCf9ryxB5g

all his videos are very helpful in debunking some of the nonsense about weight loss
  • SarahMacphail1
    SarahMacphail1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to track points personally and stay on track better that way. Which I'm sure sounds stupid, it does even to me, but it's what works for me. I'm back on WW and still on here too, I find if I'm within my points I'm within my calories, I'm hoping as time goes on I can drop WW and just track on here as this is free. And it's basically the same thing!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    dra11op1 wrote: »

Check out IIFYM.com
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    First it's important to remember when comparing the two, whether or not you want to continue to count points to achieve further weight loss or calorie count. You'll achieve the same outcome IF you work the program. No matter which one you decide to stick with. While MFP does have a great online community base for support, it does not offer in person support that the WW meetings do. Also, if you are using the WW app, you'll have answers to any questions that you have 24/7 through the use of a personal coach or their in app chat line.... I have been a lifetime member of WW for 17 years now and have kept every pound that I lost off and even lost a few more. I've maintained here using MFP when I wasn't getting the suport that I felt I needed even though I'm 16 pounds below my lifetime goal weight. However, 2 weeks ago I went into a different WW place to do my once a month weigh in and I found a very different experience than I have at the other place. Therefore I have decided go back to using my free lifetime online eTools for maintaining and going to the new place for monthly weigh ins for now. Calorie counting is good, but I find that I like the point system better and with the WW app it is much easier and less time consuming.
    I don't know if you still have a lot of weight left to lose or not, but if you don't and are close to your goal with WW, you will not have to pay for WW again. As a lifetime time WW member all meetings, and their online eTools are FREE as long as you stay within 2 pounds of the goal that you set. I've done it successfully for 17 years and haven't had to pay WW anything, except for the few times that I missed a monthly weigh in, which wasn't too often.
    My advice is to do MFP for 2 weeks without counting the points to get a good feel for which one you prefer. Doing both however, can be very time consuming and in the end might or might not lead to burn out.

Good luck with whichever you decide on. Both WW and MFP are very good programs that will ultimately help you reach your goal. :)
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited February 2017
    Options
    MFP is free and much more accurate. Why would you want to do WW?

As a user of both, I disagree with this post. They are both equally as accurate and both programs can lead to the same amount of weight loss provided people follow the programs correctly.
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options
    both have the same formula in a not shell. they converted calories into points, and gave u a deficit of points to lose weight. MFP didn't convert calories in the points however, they give u a number in deficit to lose weight. they are both at the end of the day the same thing

This post is 100% correct.
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited February 2017
    Options

As a user of both, I disagree with this post. They are both equally as accurate and both programs can lead to the same amount of weight loss provided people follow the programs correctly.

Points are less accurate than tracking actual calories and macronutrients in grams. Also don't they have "free" foods? If you had too many of these you could eliminate your deficit and not lose weight. With myfitnesspal every single calorie counts, wether it's from broccoli or a donut. CICO works for both methods, but myfitnesspal IS more accurate. And you can't argue on the cost difference- one is free, one costs hundreds of dollars.

Actually, the point system is tracking macros, it's just not showing the figures the way it does here on MFP. If macro tracking is important, obviously one will either have to self track them while on WW, or use an app that shows the numbers. However, just because WW doesn't show them, doesn't mean they are not part of the whole weight loss system. Also, just because certain foods like veggies and fruits are free is not a a pass to over eat them. WW does teach portion control and while those foods don't have points, they are supposed to be eaten in moderation. Isn't that the same as MFP? How exactly do you figure one is more accurate than another? If WW wasn't accurate in its method of figuring out the percentage of calories one should have in a day to lose weight or in my case (maintain weight), they wouldn't still be in business for more than 50 years. ;)
    As far as free goes, as I said above. WW customers do pay till they reach their set goal weight. After that, everything is free provided one doesn't miss a monthly weigh in, and is not more than 2 pounds above goal. I was lucky and got to goal within a few short months and therefore probably paid less than $100 to reach my goal. Could I have done it free? Yes. However, after 17 years of staying at goal and getting all the benefits of WW free, it's absolutely been worth it for me. I don't believe WW is great for everyone, but I also don't think it should be passed over as a way of losing weight just because it's not free to start out. Also, there are discounts available to people through their health insurance for WW that one can use to offset some of the cost of the WW program.
    MFP is an aide to weight loss. It doesn't work any better than WW for weight loss just because it is free and openly displays the daily macros and calories for the day.
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options

Points are less accurate than tracking actual calories and macronutrients in grams. Also don't they have "free" foods? If you had too many of these you could eliminate your deficit and not lose weight. With myfitnesspal every single calorie counts, wether it's from broccoli or a donut. CICO works for both methods, but myfitnesspal IS more accurate. And you can't argue on the cost difference- one is free, one costs hundreds of dollars.

Actually, the point system is tracking macros, it's just not showing the figures the way it does here on MFP. If macro tracking is important, obviously one will either have to self track them while on WW, or use an app that shows the numbers. However, just because WW doesn't show them, doesn't mean they are not part of the whole weight loss system. Also, just because certain foods like veggies and fruits are free is not a a pass to over eat them. WW does teach portion control and while those foods don't have points, they are supposed to be eaten in moderation. Isn't that the same as MFP? How exactly do you figure one is more accurate than another? If WW wasn't accurate in its method of figuring out the percentage of calories one should have in a day to lose weight or in my case (maintain weight), they wouldn't still be in business for more than 50 years. ;)
    As far as free goes, as I said above. WW customers do pay till they reach their set goal weight. After that, everything is free provided one doesn't miss a monthly weigh in, and is not more than 2 pounds above goal. I was lucky and got to goal within a few short months and therefore probably paid less than $100 to reach my goal. Could I have done it free? Yes. However, after 17 years of staying at goal and getting all the benefits of WW free, it's absolutely been worth it for me. I don't believe WW is great for everyone, but I also don't think it should be passed over as a way of losing weight just because it's not free to start out. Also, there are discounts available to people through their health insurance for WW that one can use to offset some of the cost of the WW program.
    MFP is an aide to weight loss. It doesn't work any better than WW for weight loss just because it is free and openly displays the daily macros and calories for the day.

It's all nice and dandy, but in the end, macros is what counts, your body doesn't give a damn about WW points..It's all about what you intake and what you burn...mfp is a free tool, but by using IIFYM, knowing your maintenance calorie level, you can control how you gain or lose weight much more accurately than WW. Am I saying that WW doesn't work??? No, but it's a fact that with the way IIFYM is designed with the help of mfp to track your macros, it is much more precise than WW without costing you an arm and a leg.

I would be curious to find out if the scientist who did the twinkie diet (basically he applied the IIFYM way for losing weight, but by eating just junk food) would of worked under the WW points system.

Interesting, however, as stated in this article, there are many draw backs to this approach to weight loss. And while I have no intention of getting into a debate with you over this, I'll just post what I found to be more correct about the IIFYM for weight loss and leave it at that. You do what works for you, and I'll do what has successfully worked for me for the past 17 years. ;)

"Tracking what you eat can help you lose weight, but there isn’t any evidence that tracking macros can offer you a greater weight-loss advantage than other calorie-counting diet plans.

With any eating plan, food quality matters. The ideal diet isn’t just about macros; it’s about choosing healthy, whole foods over heavily processed foods. There are healthy and less healthy types of carbs and fats. Focus on getting most of your carbs from fiber-rich vegetables, beans, fruit and whole grains over added sugars or white bread. And when you choose where to get your fat from, nuts and oily fish are better choices than fried foods."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/the-macros-diet-does-it-really-work/2016/06/07/d38a5434-2bf6-11e6-9b37-42985f6a265c_story.html?utm_term=.314139571067
  • lpappas84
    lpappas84 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think it depends really, but I prefer MFP. I did WW for a bit last year, and was losing fairly steadily for the first month or so. Then one day i found myself really hungry, had met my points for the day, but didn't feel like I had eaten that much. I plugged in what I had eaten into MFP out of curiosity, and had eaten only about 1,050 cals for the day - way too few! I think WW tries to guide you to eat certain types of foods - carbs are punished, and so is fat - so in general I feel like MFP is less restrictive and healthier overall because you can actually eat foods you want without the mental angst of going really far over your points, or dipping into your weekly points, etc.

It really stressed me out, but everyone is different - a co-worker of mine did WW all last year and lost 55 lbs, and she seems happy and looks great.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think do what works for you , just remember unless you stay WW for life sooner or later your going to need to track your intake ..

Good luck