Shoveling snow

Options
Shoveling is so much easier when you're in better shape! Yesterday I shoveled a lot of heavy snow for a long time. Today my upper back hurts. I don't think I pulled anything, but it's sore. Should I have been bending my knees more to avoid this? Today I have workout A for Stronglifts and I fear my rows will suffer! I hope more of my roommates actually help me shovel next time...

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've got a nice case of DOMS from shoveling yesterday myself lol, and I'm in pretty decent shape.

The rules of lifting any heavy weight apply to snow shoveling as well. Lift with your legs as much as possible, and just move what is manageable. It's better shoveling to take smaller shovel fulls and spend a bit more time resting than trying to move a mountain with each throw.

On the plus side, it's a heck of a calorie burn lol.
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love shoveling snow...it forces me to exercise! LOL
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift with your legs, keep your arms as close to your body as you can as well.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    2j7nrdbgaebt.jpg

I'm sick of the frikken snow.

LOL! Think of the calories burned!!

I know - just looking for silver linings :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    More snow, please!
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I refuse to be snow's slave anymore, so I just drive over it. :)

We haven't gotten much snow this year, but I used to shovel quite a bit more in the past. They actually make these ergonomically shaped shovels with curved handles that seem to make it easier. Regardless, that heavy, wet snow is a beast, but I love the workout when I can get it.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »
    I refuse to be snow's slave anymore, so I just drive over it. :)

We haven't gotten much snow this year, but I used to shovel quite a bit more in the past. They actually make these ergonomically shaped shovels with curved handles that seem to make it easier. Regardless, that heavy, wet snow is a beast, but I love the workout when I can get it.
    My beast is more beast. :) Yeah, my back doesn't handle the wet stuff that well any more.

wvl3kvdgvc1r.jpg

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have a snow blower too, but I found myself still shoveling as an excuse to get my workout in. LOL
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I have a snow blower too, but I found myself still shoveling as an excuse to get my workout in. LOL

Even with the snow blower there's lots of shoveling to be done. In all honesty I used to hate it, and while I can't say I love it now, I do kind of enjoy it, in a masochistic kind of way :D

All that work just opens the door wide for a great dinner that night. :)
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just got 18 inches (of snow) here yesterday. I'm very sore as well...I just pushed through my cardio today- you probably used muscles you havent worked on in awhile. It's freaking hard work!!!
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    djwar9858 wrote: »
    Just got 18 inches (of snow) here yesterday. I'm very sore as well...I just pushed through my cardio today- you probably used muscles you havent worked on in awhile. It's freaking hard work!!!

Our forecast is all over the place right now, the only thing that looks somewhat certain is that we will get some more. How much or when?? Who knows lol. My big question is will my back be ready for it lol.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Your form was probably good. Get a nice motion going with your legs and hips kinda like making a C shape with the shovel. If it's DEEP snow don't try and shovel all of it at once take your time and remember your back will thank you later.

I used to work in the snow removal industry and this is the technique that was taught to me.

The upper back soreness is natural if there was a lot of snow to remove, think of it as a sign that you had a really good work out. Maybe have some protein after you shovel (depending on how much snow).
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    CANADIAN TIRED!, HILARIOUS!, where I live in Canada, we shovel all day every day the whole winter!, I just shoveled 60 minutes, then snowshoed 60 minutes! I like the high of a good workout.i feel great!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Due to snow the freezing rain, we have several inches of ice covering the driveway and walkway. This morning, I practically skated up the driveway with the trash and recycling bins.

Ha! I've never used the snowblower, ever. I like the torture of snow shovelling. Two driveways and a walkway.

I'm guessing snow is not your supervisor? ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    Shoveling is a great workout: Some of my best calorie totals ever have come from shoveling snow for 2-4 hours at a time (yes, my driveway is that long, but only if I do the whole U shape).

+1 to using legs and core. I think of it as sort of like a squat (get the snow, lift it), followed by a hip thrust (throw it), possibly with a twist overlapping the hip thrust, based on where the snow needs to go. Depending on the type of shovel and snow you have, spraying the shovel with PAM can be helpful (the sprays with lecithin seem best, not the all-oil ones). ;)
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bent over rows are good practice for shoveling. Shovel the same way, bend at the hips, keep your back straight, brace your abs and glutes and go. You'll get a great core workout as well as upper back.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    We moved to the midwest from the west coast. My mailman stopped his cart one day and gave me snow shoveling lessons. Thank God! It is hard and invigorating. He instructed me to push and jerk the snow off the shovel...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My snowblower died. I think it needs a carb rebuild. But it is a small, single stage thrower so I may upgrade before next winter.

I'm still sick of the snow.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    no snow shovel. cuz it never snows here. and when it does . . . it doesn't. not really.

except that this winter it did, and nobody took the first dose of it seriously. me least of all, so i ended up with an inch of packed ice over all the sidewalks. i got out a dustpan and a ten-pound plate, mcgyver style. one-legged deficit deadlifts [with plate-drop from arm's height] to break it up, and then third-world squats with the 'chest-opening' fling move to clear the rubble. with subsequent dumps, i was more on the ball and just did the squat-with-dustpan-fling thing before it froze up.

i know perfectly well how weird it all looked. but the truth is, i kind of had a mcgyverish blast. would have been doing that stuff in the gym anyway. it was nice how all that blether about weightlifting being 'functional' movement turned out to be true, for a change.