Do you eat out more, less, or the same as when you were in weight loss?

I'm curious as to how much you eat out now that you're in maintenance compared to when you were in weight loss mode? I notice it's still hard to fit in lets say, Ihop pancake breakfast then dinner out on the same day with lunch/snacks etc in between! So far, it's pretty much the same for me as when I was losing weight. I try to keep eating out to a minimum because of $ and calories, but it's still difficult. I like to have dates with my husband, go out to dinner with my parents, and brother (who eats out every single meal!) along with outings with friends. That tends to add up through the week though...What are your experiences and how do you limit yourself to just once or a couple times a week?

Replies

• Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    I don't know how my brother does it! He literally eats out at actual restaurants (not fast food) for breakfast AND dinner every single day and stays so thin! My mom is the same way but I know she watches her portions so that's probably why she stays so slim as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't know how my brother does it! He literally eats out at actual restaurants (not fast food) for breakfast AND dinner every single day and stays so thin! My mom is the same way but I know she watches her portions so that's probably why she stays so slim as well.

I have a friend who is pretty lean and eats out pretty much every day, but he only eats two meals per day and doesn't really snack...he doesn't really drink many calories either except on the weekend.

Guys can also have an easier go of it...my maintenance is around 3,000 calories which affords me a lot more latitude than my wife. When we eat out, she almost always brings back leftovers in a doggie bag...I never do.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I'm eating about 250 cals more to maintain than I was when I was losing. 250 doesn't go very far when you like wine and desserts. But, 2,000 cals is my new reality and I am learning to make it work.

As for eating out, pretty much anywhere can drum up some grilled chicken or fish + veggies.
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    I generally eat the same 5 days per week as when I was losing and save the extra calories for 1-2 days each week. It's still not a free for al, but allows for a nice meal out and wine. And I spend the calories on really great food, not fast food!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,674 Member
    We usually eat out once a week or so, usually after I've done a long or medium long run. That was true when I was losing and it's true now. The calories for restaurant meals are ridiculous. (Last week I had salmon, sweet potato and salad for dinner out. With beer and bread in addition, I ate back all the calories I had burned from my 20 mile long run. Irritating.) I know that when I eat out more often, I will gain weight. Vacations are hard on my weight, even though I usually cook a lot of our meals.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,966 Member
    I eat out about the same as I did in weight loss mode. When I was in weight loss mode I ate out about the same as I did before. I just watch my portions and eat lighter earlier in the day if I'm planning a big meal later. I live in a pretty small town and there are only about 12 places to eat and half of them are fast food chains. The others are not chains. If I don't eat at a chain I just use similar entries from chain restaurants. It has worked for me. I do tend to eat the same things often and I just try to be consistent with what I log so even if it isn't correct it is consistent.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I didn't eat out much when I was losing and I don't now either. I pack lunch everyday for work because...$, and I can keep my calories in check easier. Breakfast and dinner are always home. About once a week I'll end up eating dinner out though. Twice on a rare occasion.... Not enough where it impacts anything.

For me I think it's the money issue just as much as calories. I'd rather take that money and buy something for myself than blow it on food. That's just me....
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    After I joined MFP I figured out I could make just as tasty food for a lot less money, and a lot cheaper, and it's fun. I go out for the "occasions" now, not "just" to eat.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    When I was in maintenance I split my meal in half, when I ate out, same as in weight loss. I took half home, and sometimes even had two more meals from it. When I stopped slitting the meal in half I started gaining the weight back. It was like a trigger almost. Then I stopped logging........
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    I'd say I'm eating out slightly more in maintenance than when losing, but a little less than when staying fat. For me, most eating out is social.

Especially because I'm a vegetarian, I can cook at home more cheaply, satisfyingly, and nutritiously than I can eat in restaurants. (Most of this would still be true if I weren't vegetarian, but the vegetarian options in mainstream restaurants tend to be very carb-y and/or low on protein, which isn't as true of omnivore's options).

I do eat very differently in restaurants than I did before starting weigh loss: More likely to pick a salad, leave the bread off veggie burgers (I'm not a huge bread fan, it's not that bread is evil), ask for fruit or veggies as a side more often, take half home - that sort of thing.
  • Glossberg
    Glossberg Posts: 40 Member
    edited February 2017
    We eat out 3-4 times per week. It's about the same as when in weight loss mode for frequency but I have more freedom. I often have to make a concession or two compared to what I used to eat when I was overweight but all meals are enjoyable. I find between exercise, only eating two meals a day (plus a good night time snack), and eating at a small deficit in days all food is prepared at home I have a reasonable amount of calories to play with.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    About the same. HB and I usually go out on Friday nights. I also eat out when I visit my mom. I might order a little differently than I did before weight loss...During my weight loss period, we still went out, but I would try to only eat half a dinner and take the rest home for another meal. I also cut back on alcohol. I used to love a good margarita but cannot handle one now!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I eat out less. Mainly because making meals at home so much during the deficit has showed me just how much of a price difference there is between eating in and eating out. There is also a bit of comfort knowing my diary entries are going to be more accurate when I'm measuring out ingredients vs trusting finding some that's "close" in the database. Most common meal out is lunch during the work week.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    About the same, I always included fast food and whatever I wanted while losing, It took me a loooong time to get to my goal, but I'm happy because now is easy for me to maintain :)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I eat out a lot but at fast food restaurants where it's relatively easy for me to find a meal for 600 calories. It's hard for me to justify a sit down restaurant where the meals are often 1200 calories! I only eat 1700 a day to maintain so that's too high. If I do go out, I split my meal with someone or save half of it. I'll never be able to eat the way I used to.

In general though I eat out about the same as I did when losing weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    About the same for me too. I was always someone who, if eating out, that would be the bulk of my day food wise. Even if I was grabbing a snack or breakfast out, it wouldn't be a full meal and then a further full meal in the evening, just too much food! The difference now is that I might make slightly different choices or eat lighter the rest of the week. All about finding the balance.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,806 Member
    Do you eat out more, less, or the same as when you were in weight loss?

About the same.

If we cycle after work during the week, and burn enough calories, we'll stop by Subway or Zambreros for dinner.

On weekends, we exercise (mostly cycling) quite a bit, so we might do fish and chips or pizza for one weekend meal.

And, of course, on long weekends we cycle even more ... and go out for dinner. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Depends on how much money is left after paying for other things and how much of non-sharing people my ILs are. I go out once a week these days.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    For me it's about the same and really, what I choose to eat when I eat out hasn't changed much, either.