Looking for Self-sabotage solutions

Options
So I found success & spent over a year learning how to stop emotional & stress eating. At least massively improve it! Counting calories, adding activity & mindful eating works & I lose weight. I have this plateau but it is mental. Every time I get below a certain scale number - I stop all the things that work & gain. I have repeated this cycle for last 6 months. I don't get it or understand it. Looking for people that have ideas of why & probably more important- ways to overcome. I'm not giving up but I sure would like to get through this hurdle. Thanks in advance

Replies

• Nomikia
    Nomikia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It sounds subconscious. Is it your plateau weight? Do you maybe really enjoy losing weight (we all get a confidence boost when we are progress ), so you gain so you can get that little rush of losing again? Or maybe you aren't making the lifestyle changes necessary to sustain weight loss. If you diet until you reach a certain weight, then you go back to eating how you used to you will always gain the weight back.
  • trailgirl777
    trailgirl777 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No I don't believe I am using it for the high of weight loss. I have lost 24 but have s long way to go. It almost seems like a problem with success. Like I can't have it.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    perhaps find a mantra or positive affirmation to remind yourself that you are worth the effort? I find positive self talk has really helped me be successful this past year
  • whirlyruns
    whirlyruns Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a break from the scale for awhile. I only weigh myself once a month, otherwise it messes with my head too much.
  • Amethystwolf
    Amethystwolf Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Therapy
  • Acrosno
    Acrosno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I don't comment much but I read a lot here and this one spoke to me.

I have the same pattern as you, OP. I have come to the realization that I "reward" myself for a new low weight by taking a day to eat unhealthy. "Oh I just hit 165lbs ... yeah I can go to a Chinese Buffet and eat anything I want. I have some wiggle room. Hooray!"

The problem is that idea sort-of becomes a week of over eating ... and using food as a reward is a mindset I know I need to break in myself.

Not sure if this is useful at all, but I thought I'd share my personal experience and thoughts on this.

Grats on your progress to date and keep on pushing! We'll get that goal weight soon!

Cheers!
  • UnicornAmandaPanda
    UnicornAmandaPanda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Same problem here
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think part of my problem in the past has been my own thinking. Either I would lose weight to a certain point and think "I can't possibly lose any more weight" or I would have a bad day and think "That's it. I've ruined it." or one of my favorites "I like the way I look. This is good enough. (While still obese)."

Overall, I've realized I will use anything and I do mean anything as an excuse to overeat. Either I will think "I did really good this week I deserve xyz" or "it's been a hard week I need xyz to make myself feel better" or something along those lines.

Somewhere along the line I just realized this was all BS and that I had to lose the weight for my own health and wellbeing.

I started being honest with myself and dillegently logging everything I ate and it's helped keep me accountable these last 16 weeks. Still not where I want to be, but I'm getting there.