Can you exercise too much

Options
I have been exercising for many years, mixing it up by swimming 45 minutes 5 times per week not exhausting then either spin or weights or now orange theory fitness. I am very strong but can't loose any weight

Replies

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    hrapfogel wrote: »
    I have been exercising for many years, mixing it up by swimming 45 minutes 5 times per week not exhausting then either spin or weights or now orange theory fitness. I am very strong but can't loose any weight

How much is too much exercise? What are your goals?

Your weight loss has nothjng to do with how much exercise you do, it has all to do with how many calories you consume.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from being in a calorie deficit. You can exercise as much as you want, but you have to make sure you're eating less than you burn throughout the day.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You can exercise too much. It's called exercise anorexia, in which the individual uses exercise in an unhealthy way. It can also happen to athletes with improper or no coaching. Rest and recovery is an important part of exercise.

However, more often here at MFP it tends to be over-estimating exercise calorie burn (even the site itself can be inaccurate) or under-estimating portion sizes of food.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    You can exercise too much. It's called exercise anorexia, in which the individual uses exercise in an unhealthy way. It can also happen to athletes with improper or no coaching. Rest and recovery is an important part of exercise.

However, more often here at MFP it tends to be over-estimating exercise calorie burn (even the site itself can be inaccurate) or under-estimating portion sizes of food.

Anorexia is a mental illness, someone with anorexia does not necessary train as long as a marathon runner, so this argument cannot be true.

Also having an addiction to exercise does not mean you are over exercising.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    No... it's just a form of anorexia that uses exercise instead of simply not eating enough. Very common in ballet, dance, and sports like gymnastics and ice skating.

An actual addiction to exercising may or may not mean over exercising, but denotes a dysfunction in life.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    No... it's just a form of anorexia that uses exercise instead of simply not eating enough. Very common in ballet, dance, and sports like gymnastics and ice skating.

An actual addiction to exercising may or may not mean over exercising, but denotes a dysfunction in life.

I understand that, but having this form of anorexia does not necessarily mean you exercise too much.. Perception is a big thing, there are people that claim to train religiously but when put next to a professional boxer for example, there training is minimal In comparison.

The point is, it's all relative.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes you can over exercise. Listen to your body and it will tell you when you have had enough, but losing weight happens when you eat fewer calories than you burn in a day. For example MFP has me set at consuming 1200 calories a day and with my exercise today I burned an additional 266 calories. If I ate those calories back I would be maintaining my weight and not losing. One thing that has greatly helped me is just leaving those calories alone and focusing on only eating the 1200 calories unless I am extremely hungry in the day then I will allow myself to eat back only 1/2 of the extra calories earned. Hope this makes sense and good luck to you. PS make sure while you are exercising you are drinking a lot of water this also helps with weight loss.

This is false...the goal MFP gives you is so you can lose weight without exercise. Unless you are very small and old, your maintenance is going to be above 1200 calories.

This is correct. 1200 calories is a default setting for MFP.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Yes you can over exercise. Listen to your body and it will tell you when you have had enough, but losing weight happens when you eat fewer calories than you burn in a day. For example MFP has me set at consuming 1200 calories a day and with my exercise today I burned an additional 266 calories. If I ate those calories back I would be maintaining my weight and not losing. One thing that has greatly helped me is just leaving those calories alone and focusing on only eating the 1200 calories unless I am extremely hungry in the day then I will allow myself to eat back only 1/2 of the extra calories earned. Hope this makes sense and good luck to you. PS make sure while you are exercising you are drinking a lot of water this also helps with weight loss.

This is false...the goal MFP gives you is so you can lose weight without exercise. Unless you are very small and old, your maintenance is going to be above 1200 calories.

So am I correct in my thinking? Or am i going about this all wrong?

1200 calories is the default MINIMUM intake. That is what you should be aiming for as a net calorie goal after exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

Correct. It's called Anorexia Athletica and usually has more people that do it who are endurance training or may have body dismorphia issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »

I understand that, but having this form of anorexia does not necessarily mean you exercise too much.. Perception is a big thing, there are people that claim to train religiously but when put next to a professional boxer for example, there training is minimal In comparison.

The point is, it's all relative.
    Refer to Anorexia Athletica. It's actually a form of over exercising to feel like one is in control of one's body.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

1200 calories is the default MINIMUM intake. That is what you should be aiming for as a net calorie goal after exercise.

That is what I am for daily to lose weight and so far it has been working and I am well on my way. I just ignore the gained calories from my daily exercise which isnt much most days. I'm down 20 pounds and Im happy with my results.
    You're losing because the deficit you're at is under 1000 calories. Realize that it will stall soon and that your metabolic rate will compensate and likely leave you then really slowly losing weight after that. It's not uncommon to lose weight for up to a month, but then after..........................really slow or not at all.
    If 1200 is your minimum and you're burning 266 calories, your NET is 934 calories. Unless you're like 5 feet tall or less, that's low.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • craftyjenn1
    craftyjenn1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

That is what I am for daily to lose weight and so far it has been working and I am well on my way. I just ignore the gained calories from my daily exercise which isnt much most days. I'm down 20 pounds and Im happy with my results.
    You're losing because the deficit you're at is under 1000 calories. Realize that it will stall soon and that your metabolic rate will compensate and likely leave you then really slowly losing weight after that. It's not uncommon to lose weight for up to a month, but then after..........................really slow or not at all.
    If 1200 is your minimum and you're burning 266 calories, your NET is 934 calories. Unless you're like 5 feet tall or less, that's low.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I am 5 foot tall . There are days where I gain nothing back from exercise so I do get the full 1200 calories and there are days where I earn only 100 back. Today was a special case where I did a little more than normal. And then there are some days where I get 1400 calories. I really don't know. I have changed my way of eating entirely and for me this isnt just a diet it is a lifestyle change, so I really want to make sure I go about this the right way so I am able to maintain the weight off that I lose. I am following the advice of my physician so I will talk to them on Thursday. Thank you for your advice. Like I said I just want to make sure I am doing this the right way
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

You can view your "net calories", which is the sum of (I ate) - (I exercised) in your Reports. You can also use this site and many other to find your estimated TDEE and BMR, and I suggest you do. When you talk to your doctor, have the numbers with you.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I am 5 foot tall . There are days where I gain nothing back from exercise so I do get the full 1200 calories and there are days where I earn only 100 back. Today was a special case where I did a little more than normal. And then there are some days where I get 1400 calories. I really don't know. I have changed my way of eating entirely and for me this isnt just a diet it is a lifestyle change, so I really want to make sure I go about this the right way so I am able to maintain the weight off that I lose. I am following the advice of my physician so I will talk to them on Thursday. Thank you for your advice. Like I said I just want to make sure I am doing this the right way
    Well then you may be okay. Just make sure you're meeting your micronutrient needs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png