Vacation planning - Gold Coast, Australia

Options
vbhoj74
vbhoj74 Posts: 122 Member
Hey friends,

We have plans to visit GC around June next near (we are early planner :P). That would be two families which includes two kids of around 10-13 yrs. We have around 7 days there, so just wanna plan it well so as to keep the cost low. I can use help of anyone been or belong to there. :)

I'm sure my wife (pbhoj76) will add many more questions here overtime, as she is the one planning this and I'm trying to help.

Lot of times I've come across threads from Aussies, so I'm hoping to get a good response. :)

On the outlines, here is what we have in mind for 7 days, 2 days at the theme parks for kids, 1 day Fraser island, and maybe rest 3 days for great barrier reef. Not sure about the later as my wife feels spending 7 days at GC itself will be a good idea.

I believe its winter in June there, so activities like snorkeling possible ?

Any local website you guys refer for cheap air tickets within Australia ?

We are thinking of renting a serviced apt. on the GC beach area to keep it within our budgets, any thoughts or references ?

Any preferred site where I can book day activities ?

Please feel free to fill me in with any tips you have and/or to friend any of us.

Replies

• Petunia32
    Petunia32 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm in Brisbane, about an hour from the Goldie. I don't spend much time down there, prefer the Sunshine Coast, but I can answer a few questions.

June is winter, yes. This site has average temps for this area http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_040214.shtml Though they can get higher or lower, depending on the wind factor, rain, etc. No snow here, of course! Temps are pretty mild if you are used to a much colder climate. Snorkling will be a bit cold down here, but if you're going up to the Barrier Reef then it should be fine, it's can be up to 10C degrees warmer that way. I have friends who live up there and they happily swim all year round.

Flights in Australia are pretty expensive IMO. A family of four can easily cost $1500 to fly return somewhere. Webjet.com.au lists all the major domestic airlines to find cheap fairs and comparison prices, and lots of the websites, like Jetstar, often have special deals (think they do theirs Friday afternoons around 4pm local time), however those deals are only limited seats and limited dates and you have to be quick, but if you can get a good deal then you can save a ton of money. Don't fly Tiger, they SUCK! Not even sure if they can fly anymore though, I think they are currently going through the process of being banned. They are one to avoid for sure. I've flown Jetstar, Virgin and Qantas and they are all much of muchness, though Qantas gives you meals, the rest don't.

Myfun.com.au is where you can book cheaper tickets online for the theme parks. If you want to drive up to the Sunshine Coast (not far, maybe 90min-2hr drive) then there's also Australia Zoo to consider (Steve Irwin's Zoo). If you come during the school holidays then you can see Terry, Bindi, Robert and Wes do the croc show.

For apartments I'm not sure, I've only day tripped it down there.

Hope that helps a bit. Someone who's more local can probably give you a better idea!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I cant answer any of the questions as i have not been there yet.

I am moving from Ireland to the gold coast in 5 weeks(my sister,her husband and kids live there) She loves it out there and says it is great for kids.

Enjoy.
  • vbhoj74
    vbhoj74 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Very helpful there petunia, much appreciated.

Wll check up info on sunshine coast. We plan to increase days on Fraser island if not going for barrier reef. Myfun site looks nice. Web jet is good too, wifey was referring this site already for cost estimates, we were not sure if it's a good site, web jet also offers accommodation booking, need to check on that.

@irishblonde, np, maybe you can help me after 5 weeks. :) All the best with your moving.
  • Petunia32
    Petunia32 Posts: 24
    Options
    Just be careful of the dingoes on Fraser Island and don't go near them or feed them, big fines if you do and they can become aggressive when fed by humans. Always watch small and young children when there are dingoes around too, they might seem tame but you cannot trust them at all. I haven't been there myself, but I hear it's really nice, especially a lot of the inland lakes that you can swim in. It's on my list of places to visit when my boys are a bit older.