Jogging v hiit?

Options
msthang444
msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
edited February 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Can someone help? I'm having issues reconciling jogging v hiit. If i jog 2.5 miles in 30 min i burn ~300 cals. Turbofire/insanity for 30 min burns 181-240 cals. Why is the hiit supposedly better?

Replies

• patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I believe that 30 minutes of insanity would burn more, where did you get that number? In one of the 45 minutes videos I burn over 900 calories
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    HIIT IF done for the same duration would burn more because of the intensity. Most people do HIIT for a couple of reasons: less time to burn a decent amount of calories and the other is to improve their conditioning and fitness level.
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I believe that 30 minutes of insanity would burn more, where did you get that number? In one of the 45 minutes videos I burn over 900 calories
    How are you getting those readings? An HRM?
    Realize that it takes A LOT of intensity (and Insanity is doable even at 80% effort) to burn 900 calories in 45 minutes.
    Lebron James burns about 605 calories in 40 minutes of a basketball game. And he's 270lbs.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness-pictures/how-many-calories-do-olympians-burn.aspx#07

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• msthang444
    Options
    Correct. Using the Polar FT4 HRM...
  • patslitzker
    Options
    I use a chest strap HRM. I'm 250 lbs 17% body fat.
  • chelseymorris185
    chelseymorris185 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    msthang444 wrote: »
    Can someone help? I'm having issues reconciling jogging v hiit. If i jog 2.5 miles in 30 min i burn ~300 cals. Turbofire/insanity for 30 min burns 181-240 cals. Why is the hiit supposedly better?

I don't their either is "better" it depends what your body goals are.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Truly, I wouldn't worry about it enough to choose one over the other just based on how many calories you will burn. HIIT is great because you're mixing things up and it probably goes by faster. Steadily jogging is great because you're building up your endurance and should be able to slowly increase your pace as you build up. In general, though, i thought the rule was that you burn about 100 calories per mile.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Why is the hiit supposedly better?

Because people telling you one is better than the other don't know what they're on about. Steady state and circuit training have different effects. What I'd say is that Insanity isn't HIIT so really you're adding a third option to the mix.

Personally I run long distances. I did sprint intervals to improve my top end speed and I do plyometric circuits (Like Insanity) to help my core and muscular balance.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I use a chest strap HRM. I'm 250 lbs 17% body fat.
    Really? How tall are you? If you're under 6'2, then you're a really defined muscular person. Not many out there built like that. Got a pic?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • patslitzker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm 6,5 lol so not as defined as you'd imagine. At an awkward stage of weightloss where I have not too much left to lose.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP - if you prefer jogging, maybe add some sprints and walk intervals to mix it up a little.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    HIIT IF done for the same duration would burn more because of the intensity.

Half or more of a HIIT session is rest. When you actually do the math out, HIIT calories are pretty disappointing compared to the hype. Now, if you want to get ready for race day in a few months, HIIT should be part of your weekly routine.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    One reason is Because ur resting metabolic rate for approx 24 hrs after the hit is elevated therefore u continue to burn for up to 24 hrs afterward
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    tarothelp wrote: »
    One reason is Because ur resting metabolic rate for approx 24 hrs after the hit is elevated therefore u continue to burn for up to 24 hrs afterward

I think those numbers are for real HIIT, which most people who think they're doing HIIT aren't doing.

Interval training =/= HIIT, but it has its place.

That said, I'm the queen of LIIS and have time to burn. I'll jog and spare myself the possibility of inducing a migraine attempting HIIT. I have no racing aspirations with my running. I just have endurance goals.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    tarothelp wrote: »

EPOC for HIIT is about 8-10% of net, so in a HIIT session burning perhaps 200 calories you'll get an extra 20, on a good day. That's assuming one is doing true HIIT.

Insanity isn't true HIIT.

EPOC for steady state and circuit training is between 4-6% of net. So a steady state session burning say 300 calories will get perhaps an extra 15 calories.

• msthang444
    Options

Mine is to burn fat....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

You're looking at these from simply an energy expenditure perspective, not a fitness perspective. Also, it's pretty trendy to call anything that involves intervals HIIT...most of the things people are doing aren't actually HIIT. HIIT was designed to improve the fitness of athletes that are already very fit...it is generally done as a part of a training program...it's not the training program itself because it's too intense to do it on a daily basis...usually once per week, maybe twice as a part of an overall program.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Mine is to burn fat....

Then don't waste your time with HIIT. Eat well, go for moderately intense jogs, and try to enjoy them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Mine is to burn fat....

That comes from you having the correct calorie balance over an extended period of time.
    Sure cardio (or activity or any exercise) can contribute. If you are prepared to devote hours then it can contribute a lot.

If you really just want to maximise the calorie burn then go at the fastest speed you can sustain for the amount of time available to you. It's as simple as that.
    Would say that just calorie burns are not a great goal though - sorry. Think ahead to maintenance at your goal weight.......

BTW - basic HRMs like the FT4 aren't generally good at estimating calorie burns from exercise but will be awful for interval training. That's where a lot of the mythical and extravagant calorie estimates for HIIT (or exercised labelled HIIT) come from - putting misplaced faith in devices designed for counting heartbeats and thinking that equals calories.

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sustained cardio is more efficient in burning calories. One of the best calorie burning workouts is moderate speed walking at an incline. You can do two hours that way and burn way more calories than doing HIIT training, because HIIT cannot be sustained that long. I remember sprinting the straightaways and walking the curves at a track, while some other guy was running steady. He kept lapping me. HIIT is to build muscle, conditioning, and make you more explosive in the least amount of time. So, if you want to get lean- do cardio. If you want to get ripped- do HIIT.