Hi, I'm New

Options
PayShi
PayShi Posts: 55 Member
Hi. My name is Patience and I need to lose over 130 pounds to hit a healthy weight. I've been overweight most of my life and I think a lot of it stems from me gaining my Mom's weight problems and making them mine. After watching her climb to 500 lbs and be forced into Gastric Bypass a couple of years back (before lap band) as a young adult I now realize I have to attempt everything to lose this weight. I HAVE to. My life depends on it. So, I ask for everyone's support and if you have any tips for me that'd be great! And I hope to also support many of you!

I'm currently considering Body by Vi shakes to help contain the lion's strong cravings. Anyone like to offer some critical criticism on that?

Replies

• giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    I don't know about the shakes, but I just wanted to say welcome! And if you ever need a support buddy, feel free to add me. I'm aiming to lose 25-30 pounds myself - thanks to high cholesterol & awesome genetics!

Well... HI! Welcome :D
    Good luck toward your goal!
  • sarahemily72
    sarahemily72 Posts: 106
    Options
    Good luck to you! The main things are to stay informed and journal daily. Every day gets easier. Keep your eyes on the prize!
  • PayShi
    Options
    I don't know about the shakes, but I just wanted to say welcome! And if you ever need a support buddy, feel free to add me. I'm aiming to lose 25-30 pounds myself - thanks to high cholesterol & awesome genetics!

Well... HI! Welcome :D
    Good luck toward your goal!

Thanks so much. I can so relate with the genetics. ;P And good luck to you! You will DO it! Just have faith!
  • PayShi
    Options
    Good luck to you! The main things are to stay informed and journal daily. Every day gets easier. Keep your eyes on the prize!
    Thank you! Any possible tips of how to "keep my eyes on the prize?" One of my problems is when I see Ice Cream or something yummy that I shouldn't have I forget my real "prize."
  • TealStar13
    TealStar13 Posts: 165
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! There's a lot of awesome people here who will motivate you when you're down and cheer you on when you're up. :) I can't really tell you about my success because I've gained a few pounds back and haven't really kept up with this. I do wish you the best on the epic journey. I know you have it in you to do what you want to do. :)
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I have never tried the shakes, so I won't be able to give my opinion on them. I will say that I have been eating protein bars for breakfast sometimes and that helps me from getting hungry too soon. Feel free to add me as a friend and supporter if you would like.
  • Happygreenmom
    Happygreenmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am new-ish to MFP and can hardly explain how great it's been. I too have adopted my mother's dieting issues, she's loose some, then gain some then change diets then loose some, etc. it was(and is) a repeating cycle. I decided recently that I don't want my children to see a similiar pattern in their mother and desperately need to loose over a hundred lbs.

The support on MFP is great! I have met people from all walks who all have the same goals, to live healthier happier lives. If you want, you can add me.

Welcome and enjoy the journey!
  • marysue0101
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to wish you well on your journey! Never stop learning. It's calories in vs calories out. You can do this!!!!
  • angimarie
    angimarie Posts: 31
    Options
    I tried shakes and no matter what I mixed with them, they were sooo gross :/ and I was starving just a few hours later. Try sticking with whole wheats, low/sugar free, and no fried food. Proportion is really key! It is hard but you can do it! It DOES get easier, promise. Journal everyday, it helps A LOT!
    Good Luck!
    Angi
  • PayShi
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! There's a lot of awesome people here who will motivate you when you're down and cheer you on when you're up. :) I can't really tell you about my success because I've gained a few pounds back and haven't really kept up with this. I do wish you the best on the epic journey. I know you have it in you to do what you want to do. :)
    Thank you. Well, don't feel alone. I've lost and gained... lost and gained...and did it another 12 times. I just wanna get it right. Find something I can stick to 99% of the time to. ^_^ I'm sure you will hit your goals too!
  • PayShi
    Options
    I tried shakes and no matter what I mixed with them, they were sooo gross :/ and I was starving just a few hours later. Try sticking with whole wheats, low/sugar free, and no fried food. Proportion is really key! It is hard but you can do it! It DOES get easier, promise. Journal everyday, it helps A LOT!
    Good Luck!
    Angi
    Thank you for the support. I've heard Body by Vi tastes like cake mix (and I love me some cake mix.) So, I think I'll give it a try and see how I work on it at least for a couple of weeks. My problem is I just love the taste of food, so even if I'm not hungry I wanna eat anyway. And you are SO spot on... It will get easier as it goes... sometimes it's just easier to give up instead of sticking it out but then well, we end up at the very beginning so I have to keep focusing!
  • PayShi
    Options
    Good Luck!
    Angi
    Thank you for the support. I've heard Body by Vi tastes like cake mix (and I love me some cake mix.) So, I think I'll give it a try and see how I work on it at least for a couple of weeks. My problem is I just love the taste of food, so even if I'm not hungry I wanna eat anyway. And you are SO spot on... It will get easier as it goes... sometimes it's just easier to give up instead of sticking it out but then well, we end up at the very beginning so I have to keep focusing!
  • MrsLaCroix
    Options
    Welcome I hope this is helpful for you there are many supportive people and checking in on a regular basis is important to know how your doing. Best wishes to you!! Watching how you eat and exercise is the best way to reach your goals. It is a healthy realistic option and makes it so the weight stays off better. My own genetics include diabetes and this is what I am fighting off everyday in my quest. I am told weight loss is not a guarantee to not get the disease but if I do I can live a healthy life with it. I lost my mother to this silent killer and do not want to have the same problems she did for so many years. You've take the first step and that is the important part. :wink:
  • efarester
    efarester Posts: 158
    Options
    Hi!

I am relatively new to the myfitnesspal site - but it is a great resource! You will definitely find motivation and support here :)

I drink Shakeology almost daily as a meal replacement. It has 70+ ingredients (including superfoods, vitamins, minerals, pro and prebiotics, etc). You can mix it with juice, milk, almond/soy/coconut milk, fruits, coffee - all kinds of things. It doesn't taste chalky (which others that I had tried before this one did). It keeps me full for several hours. The biggest changes I have noticed from the shake is increased energy levels, my hair and nails are growing like crazy, and the most important one for me - I have NO sugar cravings! I cannot believe that it is possible to not crave candy (I LOVE candy and cookies). When I have my shakes consistently - I don't crave sugar. It can also help with weight loss, cholestoral, etc. Might be worth considering. :)

Can't wait to hear how your journey goes!!

:)
    Erika
  • benlui
    benlui Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I'm also new to my fitness pal:) I have to lose about 80lbs and since I started using mfp it has been easy for me to eat out and keep on track. What I can tell is that working out and keepinf to your alot calorie cut or less with exercise has been the only way I have lost 29 of the 80 lbs I need to lose. The only diet if you want to call it is lean cuisine lunches I take to work. Just strap on those gym shoes and start walking .

good luck
    MC