Is Core training necessary?

Options
Hello everyone. I know some of you are reading the title in our thinking is she crazy yet I asked this question because I see that is often debated. I have had fitness trainers tell me that they don't train their core at all and I have had some tell me that they train rigorously and others say that you only need five minutes per day. So I was curious as to what my fitness pals think

Replies

• patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Necessary for what? It depends on your goals. Do you want a strong core?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "core". To many people "core" means abdominal muscles in flexion or extension movements only (e.g. Crunches and planks). That type of training is usually what people are referring to when they discount "core" training because it is only moderately effective.

Some people also want to do the type of "core" training referred to above because they think it will reduce the size of their midsection. That perspective is another reason why some fitness people are down on traditional "core" exercises.

A third reason is that many fitness trainers believe that compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, etc, include "core" training as part of their inherent movement and thus dedicated "core" training is not required.

I partially agree with all of these reasons, but not completely. I think there is some value in dedicated "core" training, but it needs to involve all the muscles and all the movements of the "core". That includes glutes and hip rotators in addition to the abdominal muscles. It also means including trunk flexion, extension, rotation, and lateral flexion.

Exercises like squats, deadlifts, pushups, lunges, step ups, standing military press will all work to strengthen your "core". If you are at a beginner or intermediate level, that might be entirely sufficient. If you do want to do more focused "core" work, I prefer exercises like rollouts, pallof presses, weighted dead bugs, hollow holds, chops, various glute bridges/hip thrusts, and side planks to crunches and extended traditional planks.
  • skbell52
    skbell52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If, as a female, you want to avoid developing stress incontinence (inability to control urination when being active), yes, core work is important. It helps to maintain your posture, which helps your pelvic floor muscles do their job.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Just sitting up straight for a half hour with your abs under tension at work will test your core. Many people can't even sit up straight for 2 minutes much less all day at work.
    If you want to do "non exercise" core work try that first.

I believe there's a place for some direct core work and definitely core work with compound exercises. As mentioned, you want to hit all angles.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I do very little dedicated core work- just a few minutes inside a FitnessBlender workout maybe once a week.

I do strength training and yoga for most of mine. I do notice that when I do the dedicated ab work I make progress in my form or reps or not having to modify a move any more, and my back hurts less so I think it's working!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I do dedicated core, meaning crunches, planks, etc. All it takes is 5-10 minutes a few times a week. Totally worth it, IMHO.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, core is very beneficial. But, that doesn't mean just abs. L-sits ( i have to do a modified version), supermans, side planks, hitler's dog, bridges and normal planks are my routine. 3x a week, takes me about 20 mins to run through it all a couple times.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Necessary and beneficial for me* - but that doesn't mean it is for everyone.
    Personal goals, overall routines and capabilities are too varied for a universal rule.

(* = elderly endurance cyclist with a damaged lower back.)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I know some of you are reading the title in our thinking is she crazy yet I asked this question because I see that is often debated. I have had fitness trainers tell me that they don't train their core at all and I have had some tell me that they train rigorously and others say that you only need five minutes per day. So I was curious as to what my fitness pals think

Depends on what you want. For me core training is essential because I have had back issues and strengthening my abs and back muscles helps that and prevents the issues from coming back. Remember, your "core" supports the vast majority of your weight.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Core work helps strengthen your back. As a runner, a strong back helps on long runs and races. Otherwise, when you get tired, your posture deteriorates and good form vanishes. I am also old enough that I want to avoid the pain of a bad back.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    For myself as a cyclist, then yes basically a week core to me is wasted energy and I want all the power to go in my legs so if my core can't resist the forces I'm losing power. It might not be exciting and look exciting to the outsider. To me it's very important a bit like foundations of a building just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't important
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For myself as a cyclist, then yes basically a week core to me is wasted energy and I want all the power to go in my legs so if my core can't resist the forces I'm losing power. It might not be exciting and look exciting to the outsider. To me it's very important a bit like foundations of a building just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't important

@ajwcyclist2016
    You might like this quote to explain the benefits of a strong core to a cyclist -
    "You can't fire a canon from a canoe."
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It's sort of like asking if it's necessary to add salt to food -- it depends whether the food already has enough salt. If the rest of your exercise program already works your core a lot (like mine does), or if your job or lifestyle works your core plenty, then it might not be necessary to do additional core work. In fact some people have such physically demanding jobs they don't need to do any strength training at all. :+1:
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@ajwcyclist2016
    You might like this quote to explain the benefits of a strong core to a cyclist -
    "You can't fire a canon from a canoe."

Thats a good one