Negative calories?

Options
Anyone know why my diary started taking calories away from me for walking?

I synch with FitBit and for instance this morning I walked 1700
Steps. Just standard walking bit when I logged in breakfast it says my daily goal should be minus -170. Why am I losing calories the more I move?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Because MFP estimates how many calories you'll burn for the entire day when it reads your Fitbit. At the moment it believes you will burn 170 fewer calories than maintenance. It's very common early in the day to have a negative adjustment, just keep moving and you should eventually see the number turn positive.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    This is one reason why I set my activity level as sedentary, when I could be lightly active. Setting it at lightly active gave me more calories to eat, but took them away from me. Setting as sedentary gave me less to eat, but added some if I got off my *kitten*. I know the net effect will be the same at the end of the day, but I hated seeing them taken away.

In short, you moved less than what MFP thinks you should have moved for your activity level selected.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ohh. It's all very mental even if I know I'm exercising. I need to see positives. Thanks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is one reason why I set my activity level as sedentary, when I could be lightly active. Setting it at lightly active gave me more calories to eat, but took them away from me. Setting as sedentary gave me less to eat, but added some if I got off my *kitten*. I know the net effect will be the same at the end of the day, but I hated seeing them taken away.

Same here, when i was set at lightly active I got around 200 calories "taken away" between bed and the next morning, and i didnt start getting positive adjustments til i hit around 6000 steps.

OP I'm currently set at sedentary and i don't start getting activity (exercise) calories added to mfp til i hit 2-2500 steps. I start off in the negative every morning.