Food Scale

Options
ACSelkie
ACSelkie Posts: 46 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you use one ? Pros/Cons? If so any brand recommendations?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Yes for all solids because it is the proper way to measure them and far more accurate.

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU
  • rileysowner
    Options
    To add, it makes preparing food much easier as well once you get used to it.
  • ACSelkie
    Options
    Thanks for the input.. Think I'll give one a try...
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    To add, it makes preparing food much easier as well once you get used to it.

It really does. I rarely use measuring cups anymore.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a Taylor. It's okay. Going on it's second year and it can be a little wonky but it's usually close to when the battery dies. I think I change the battery every 4-6 months.
  • quasi_economist
    quasi_economist Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I currently use one from Etekcity. Instant love. Plus two on getting used to it. It's a staple on my kitchen counter now.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    use one that will zero out the weight of the container and I use Grams as they end up being more accurate than weighing in ounces. I can add more before the reading changes if I use the ounce setting.

We use a Cuisinart FWIW
    Roger
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    It's easier. I have used one for years just for cooking because it is faster, more accurate and messes up less dishes than using strictly measuring cups and spoons. I use the XOXO Soft works scale that has a pull out display.
  • ACSelkie
    Options
    Thanks all for the input .. Going to give it a try!
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    there is no name brand on my scale, i have had it for years and bought it at either TJMaxx or Marshall's. I LOVE IT and use it EVERY MEAL. it has grams and ounces/pounds. mine is digital and goes out #.## to hundredths place and has a tare feature, which i use alot.
    couldn't make it without my scale!!! definitely worth it. i think i only paid about $12-$15
  • zippie2223
    zippie2223 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/231966915333

This is the one I use
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ACSelkie wrote: »
    Do you use one ? Pros/Cons? If so any brand recommendations?

No specific brand recommendations but I think the best are flat scales that go up to 10 kg so you can put a bowl or baking dish on it and weigh as you put stuff in it. Works really good to calculate recipes. Tare function is essential. Liquid function is more than useless, it is inaccurate for anything other than water or milk.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Until MFP, aside from the odd American baking recipe I'd used (and bought cups specifically for) it never occurred to me not to use one for cooking etc! Standard kitchen staple in the UK and a lot of people would stare at you blankly if you gave them a cup measurement.
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have one. You'll find that once you measure things a time or two that you can learn what a serving size looks like. After that, you can eyeball things.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    cuadrado12 wrote: »
    I have one. You'll find that once you measure things a time or two that you can learn what a serving size looks like. After that, you can eyeball things.

Some people can, some cannot. I cannot. I might be close early on, but very quickly which I eyeball becomes bigger and bigger. Good for you it you can, but realize many of us likely cannot.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Until MFP, aside from the odd American baking recipe I'd used (and bought cups specifically for) it never occurred to me not to use one for cooking etc! Standard kitchen staple in the UK and a lot of people would stare at you blankly if you gave them a cup measurement.

A friend and I were talking about it and wishing more American cookbooks included weights. I don't know why scales are so scary to Americans in the kitchen.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

A friend and I were talking about it and wishing more American cookbooks included weights. I don't know why scales are so scary to Americans in the kitchen.

Not scary, but historically they were expensive and thus cup were used. Now they are inexpensive, but it is difficult changing long standing tradition.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Because then they would eat less :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

It is because Fannie Farmer, the head of the Boston Cooking School, standardized recipes and cooking methods using measuring cups and spoons. Lower class women could cook and did it "by guess and by golly" but she taught middle and upper class America women how to cook using measurements rather than weights. Her cookbook (first published in 1896) was considered the standard for decades. Once a method of measuring has been entrenched for a couple of generations, it is hard to change people.

If recipes would give both weights and measures, people might slowly change but right now, most recipes published in the US are measurements only.