Hashimoto's and Weight Loss: Anybody got any advice to help a girl out?

Options
I got diagnosed this morning.

Replies

• Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Get your meds straight. Ask your doctor your questions. Many people can lose weight normally or slightly slower than others once the meds are straight, but you and your doctor have to figure out what your situation is first.
  • Susie_Magoozie
    Susie_Magoozie Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes, there are people who have successfully gotten their hashimoto's into remission, one common thread is the "Autoimmune Paleo Diet" also known as AIP. I've done a lot of research and dropped my antibodies by close to 75% by doing some specific things; to save time and to save yourself from a bunch of confusion; there are two main "Go-to's" for good help on the subject. They are: Isabella Wentz "Hashimoto's Root Cause" and "Stop the Thyroid Madneses" (book one for consumers, book two for doctors.) The main "best" thyroid groups on facebook are: Hashsimoto's 411 (there's a forum and a page) there are a number of people there who have gotten into remission; specifically meaning, they get their antibodies in range. It doesn't mean the disease is gone forever; it means that the attack against the thyroid is halted at that time. Then there's FTPO which stands for "For THyroid Patients Only" and they also have several sub groups. They are of the Stop the THyroid Madness thinking, and you can also check out that website. They focus more on helping you to understand the main "common threads" that have helped many, many people to feel better. It is a time-weary process. Nothing helps fast. Rest. Get a good doctor who understands hashimoto's and wants to help you treat the autoimmune condition... Not just someone who wants your TSH in range. This isn't just "hypothyroidism" alone; it is an autoimmune disease. I aim to be one of those who gets antibodies in range. The main commonalties that I've seen repeatedly for years, that many have who get into remission are: Dropping dairy, soy and gluten; for some it is dairy soy and grain. For others it is more comprehensive (AIP diet). There is also a study out of italy on Wobenzym with thyroid hormone and how it helps lower TPOab, and there is also sufficient data showing a relationship between selenium lowering antibodies, possibly not for everyone; selenium has a toxicity if too much is taken, so whatever you do - do so under a knowledgeable doctor's care. Many people have to change doctors multiple times to find doctors who know how to help.
  • mybattle2006
    mybattle2006 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm on the AIP diet. They say not to count calories on AIP but I'm doing it anyway. It's a real struggle to be hashis and hypo. But it can be done if we don't give up.
  • teinabarlow
    teinabarlow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos (2010) and rheumatoid arthritis (1995). I've been taking levothyroxin and liothyronine (aka Cytomel) plus humira for the RA. When I had my first thyroid storm in 2010 my thyroid was noticeably swollen and I gained 10 lbs in about a week. It was a really bad time because I was precepting for EMS and my uniform was uncomfortable - not to mention the FOG and fatigue. OMG I'm surprised I passed. Ironically, I had to give it up because of the RA in my hands.

Normally Hypo, I sleep a lot (12 hrs a night though restless), naps in the afternoon, and weight that won't budge... I'm 162lbs and 5'7", so not terribly overweight but 20 lbs more than in 2002 and I'd like to be that hot again :smile:
    My memory isn't that good anymore either which drives my husband crazy (fog?).

But recently my hands have been shaking, my heart will race, my ears are ringing and I have a nagging headache.
    For the first time ever, I'm Hyper - my TSH is 0.02, T3 is 3.3 and T4 is 16.2.

The only dairy I have is cream in my coffee in the morning. I don't normally eat bread, and I don't eat or drink soy because I'm afraid of the estrogen leading to cancer (my mom died of breast cancer). So the only time these are in my diet is when they are ingredients in my food.

Do I have to start reading ingredients to avoid gluten and soy? Is 4 tbsp of cream really going to make a difference?
    Thanks for any help...
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've got an underactive thyroid and I've been able to lose 50+ lbs; as long as your medication is the right dose, you can get to a healthy weight if you live a healthy lifestyle.
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I believe Isabella Wentz went through the ups and downs before she was diagnosed with Hashimoto's.
    Her book, The Root Cause of Hashimoto's she discusses how she sent her Hashimoto's into remission.
    Amy Meyer is another awesome author on the topic.
    Healing your gut (your intestinal lining) is the first step to recovery.
    Dr. Josh Axe discusses bone broth for that.
    The cream may cause inflammation and that is not the friend of anyone with an autoimmune disease (or two-like you have).
    My Hashimoto's was discovered in 2010 and I was following doctor's orders to just take Levothyroxine but as sleepless nights were taking a toll on me, related to the onset of menopause, I became desperate to get to the root cause rather than just take yet another prescription.
    You won't like the restrictions I follow but for me they are worth it because of reduced inflammation, clearer thinking, losing weight again, having more energy and sleeping better.
    It was really hard at first because I focused on what I could not have rather then what I could have.
    It's a lot easier now though and I do look forward to all the things I can have...
    Maybe I can try to individually re-introduce foods after I KNOW I'm better but for now, I have given up:
    GLUTEN this is non-negotiable.
    COFFEE (sorry, that's recommended)
    SUGARS
    GMO's
    YEAST so that ruins gluten free breads.
    ALCOHOL
    DAIRY although I don't seem to experience inflammation with raw goat milk-pastuerized goat milk and even raw cow milk still affects me.
    I wish you well-literally