Looking for friends with gestational diabetes

Options
Hello,
I'm a former MFP user who is back on because I am 29 weeks pregnant and just got diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I am meeting with the dietitian today, but am looking for friends in the same boat to compare notes with. Please feel free to message or friend request me if you are in the same boat.

Thanks,
Heather

Replies

• brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently, but I was diagnosed early on in my last pregnancy and spent 20 weeks following a GD diet very successfully: I avoided insulin, gained 3 lbs my entire pregnancy, and always had fantastic sugar readings. I'm happy to answer any questions or share what worked for me.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am currently Type II but had GD with both of my pregnancies. I'm going to friend you so that you can see my diary. I still basically use the guidelines my dietitian created for me when I was pregnant!
  • sjwright821
    sjwright821 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I am currently in the GD boat with you Heather. Trying to get a handle on monitoring my sugar- I was told by my dietitian that I would be able to sync my meter to MFP, but cannot find a place to input even the fact that I'm pregnant on this app, let alone that I have GD. Have you figured that out? I'm currently 34+4 weeks, and my diet isn't spectacular... I work an extremely busy schedule at a very physical job where we're short-handed, usually late hours, and I simply cannot make time to eat while I'm working. I'm trying to keep my carb intake low and I do the best I can on days when I'm not working. My readings so far have all been pretty good (I was extremely borderline with my numbers when I was diagnosed). I can't wait for this pregnancy to be over so I can get my body back!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
    Sam
  • mistyrodz
    mistyrodz Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm 27 weeks and just got diagnosed. I have to go see the perinatologist. I started out at a disadvantage because I'm 37 and extremely overweight. I started this pregnancy at 258 pounds. I've gained about 10 pounds so far and hoping not to gain too much more. I think my two major hurdles will be my job and the fact that my ONE vice is soda. I'm an RN as well as an emotional eater. I hate my job (love being a nurse just hate where I work)and that combined with a wacky schedule is how I gained about 30 pounds the first year I worked there. Then there's the soda. I love water, but I have no clue how I'm going to kick the soda habit. I can't do diet...makes me feel sick.

Ugh, it's going to be rough, but I'm hoping that the lifestyle changes that I'll be forced to make will stick after I have the baby and I can finally lose weight! I'm sorry for those of us who have been diagnosed but happy that we can support each other!
  • mariclaire87
    mariclaire87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had GD with my baby. I'm not pregnant anymore and it did go away. I did use insulin. Add me if you like.
  • Akello978
    Akello978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 weeks and this is my 4th time with gestational diabetes
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 weeks and I was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

I have a meeting with an diabetic educator on Friday and I have to get a glucometer to track my blood sugars. I have no idea really what to expect, so feel free to add me if you would like!
  • noraborafofora
    noraborafofora Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    26 weeks with GD, everyone Ive spoke to who has or has had this condition had to deliver weeks early, anyone go to full term?
  • agottier223
    agottier223 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @noraborafofora I went to full term with my son, diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. I had midwives, so perhaps that made a difference. I went in to labor 2 days before my due date, they were set to induce 3 days after my due date.
  • agottier223
    agottier223 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @noraborafofora In addition to having midwives, I should probably add that my GD was 100% diet controlled with no numbers over the goals, ever. Could be a different scenario if someone constantly has high fasting numbers or needs insulin.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I also developed GD in my first pregnancy but not in my subsequent ones. I followed the diet very closely and only gained a total of 9 lbs. I delivered my daughter via emergency c-section from complications with the cord. She was 9 days late. I delivered with a regular OB in a regular hospital.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    26 weeks with GD, everyone Ive spoke to who has or has had this condition had to deliver weeks early, anyone go to full term?

I got pancreatitis at 13 weeks that made me an instant gestational diabetic. I went full term. They wanted to induce me three weeks early and we refused. I delivered on my due date (I went a week over with my others) bc they refused to let me go over bc of the GD. I had my smallest baby. She was 8.10 and was named Peanut before we gave her a name bc she was so small. If I could do it over again I would have told them to jump off a cliff before being pushed into labor on my due date. I only gained 37 lbs with her and it was nearly gone by the time I left the hospital.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I had GD with my second (last) pregnancy. Diet was not sufficient to control my blood sugar levels -- I was taking a lot of units by the end of the pregnancy. I was induced a week early due to having previously had a large baby (over 9 lbs). My GD baby was about 8 lbs.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Yes. Though, in my opinion, it was a misdiagnosis. But I also know women who really had GD who went full term.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I had GD with my twins. Had it not been a twin pregnancy with other risk factors then I would have been allowed to go to term. My GD was well controlled with diet and insulin (almost no chance of diet alone controlling it when there are two placentas) both babies had perfect blood sugar after they were born. I was induced at 36+6 due to other medical reasons and they were 6lbs 9 and 7lbs 1. Big for twins but they were number 3 & 4 for me. My second was 9lbs 3. I gained a total of 25 lbs or so for the whole pregnancy, the expectation was for me to gain at least 45. But then I was weighed a week before I had them and I was up around 350lbs. I followed the diet guidelines to perfection because I refused to gain that much!