How many exercises for legs?

Options
I have squats barbell back, smith machine squats, leg press. I then do stiff legged deadlifts, hamstring curls and leg extensions. Is that too many exercises?

Replies

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? What's your full workout routine- reps, split, etc.

The smith machine squats seem unnecessary if you're also barbell squatting, plus the machine limits your range of motion and is generally not recommended for squats.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    What are your goals? What's your full workout routine- reps, split, etc.

The smith machine squats seem unnecessary if you're also barbell squatting, plus the machine limits your range of motion and is generally not recommended for squats.

My aim is to gain muscle mass so my reps are slightly higher. I do smith machine to mimic the hack squat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I run 5/3/1 with "less boring" Boring But Big accessories.
    For legs:
    Heavy deads on Saturday, with high-rep low-weight squats (10x5x60%), and leg press as accessories.
    Heavy squats on Tuesday, with HRLW deads and leg curls as accessories. I'd prefer glute ham raises, but neither of my gyms have anything that I can use for them.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Do min of 4 different leg exercises. Hamstring, quads, glutes, calves.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I squat, deadlift, glute bridge or hip thrust, good Mornings or Romanian deadlift, sometimes add lunges, plies, or pistol squats.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    In each lifting session (3-4x per week) I typically do a variation of:
    -Hip thrust
    -Squat or lunge
    -Deadlift or hamstring dominant exercise
    -1-2 glute accessories - abductions, kickbacks, band walks, etc.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Depends on your volume and intensity. Without knowing that, answering you would only be throwing darts with our eyes closed.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I have squats barbell back, smith machine squats, leg press. I then do stiff legged deadlifts, hamstring curls and leg extensions. Is that too many exercises?

Generally, Any back squatting, preferably with a barbell (not Smith machine) should be your primary movement. Load progressively.

All other variations i.e. Smith, leg extensions, presses, etc., should be done afterwards and at lower weights for more reps. Load these progressively too.