Tools to deal with an unsupportive spouse.

Options
tealtortoise
tealtortoise Posts: 53 Member
edited February 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hi All, this is my first post on MFP. I am looking for some help dealing with an unsupportive husband. I have always struggled to stay at a normal weight. In the past I was able to do it by going to the gym 6 days a weeks with healthy eating. Since I have had my son three years ago, it became a struggle. As a full time working mother, I am simply not willing to be away from my child after a long day. On the weekends, if I ask my husband to help, he will, but I pay for it in other ways (i.e.: he is in a bad mood, etc). So, I pretty much can only work-out during nap time on the weekends. That said, it's not enough. So, I have started a diet plan that is working for me that includes some fasting. I still cook meals for my husband and son during this time. My son and I also grocery shop together every Saturday and I bring home a full cart of things he can eat (i.e.: sandwiches, etc). That said, he still will fire up the oven and put a frozen pizza in the oven at 9pm at night. I have asked him not to do this on days I am fasting and he dosen't care. It actually causes me physical pain to smell it when I am at the end of my fast. I have a hard time relating to this kind of ignorance and it makes me want to cry that he is so inconsiderate, especially since I try so hard so that my fast days won't affect him or my son. Any advice?

Replies

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sorry but I have to agree that your husband is an adult and shouldn't have to suffer just because you are. Learn to compromise with him instead. Get him his favorite snacks and ask him to please keep them in the room in his drawer and you stay out when he is munching or see if he can hang at a friends house for pizza night. Or you can go to the room and light a bunch of incense. I hate it when my kids bake brownies or cookies (my weakness), so the deal is, make them then take them to your rooms. The whole tray. I don't want to smell them! It works for me. Once out of the kitchen I feel no compulsion to seek them out.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    There are so many body weight exercises. I exercise nearly every day and my son plays soccer and table tennis. My partner does no exercise whatsoever and eats what he wants. When we eat together we enjoy our food. I tend to eat more greens and eat the carbs. My partner is very supportive of me and often says I put him to shame. He does shift work and has irregular eating patterns but I don't make it an issue and neither does he. I used to obsess about what my son was eating and it upset him. Since I stopped we're cool.

The reason why I mention the above is that this is your journey so concentrate on what you're doing. Think about the exercises you can do and, as a poster said before, your husband should be able to eat what he wants, when he wants in his house. There needs to be a balance. I think your husband would be more supportive if he saw that you were enjoying what you're doing. Again, think about what you can do and enjoy the process!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @tealtortoise - can you give us some more details about your fasting? How long, how often, etc.

May I ask if your husband is overweight? Very often this can be a source of the resentment. You're ready to change and he isn't.

Regardless, you're an adult and so is he. You have no right to try and restrict his eating habits to accommodate yours. Insisting on this (seeing as how he's already giving you plenty of indication that he's not about to compromise) will only escalate the tension in your home.

You need to find ways to make his choices less impactful on you.

Also agree with there being plenty of exercises you can do from home. Ones that don't take a lot of time and can be done whenever you have a few minutes here and there.

But remember that weight loss happens primarily in the kitchen, not in the gym. This part of your post makes me think you might have had it the other way around - that you've used exercise in the past as your means of weight control.

"So, I pretty much can only work-out during nap time on the weekends. That said, it's not enough. So, I have started a diet plan that is working for me that includes some fasting."

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Couple of things. 1. IMO it is unfair to ask someone to completely change how they eat/not make something you can smell because you are fasting. That would put me in a bad mood too.

2. Have you asked him why he seems to be unhappy about you going to the gym? It could be some insecurities coming up that talking about may help. Explain WHY you want to go and how you want his support.

3. My two cents: stop fasting, it is not something you can keep up and clearly is an issue since you are in actual pain to smell pizza while fasting.

4. My husband is thin and muscular, he likes pizza, I like pizza but am trying to lose weight. So I will have a small slice or two and a nice filling salad or side of vegetables with my pizza.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm divorced but if my ex asked me not to make pizza at 9pm in order to help her through something I would not make pizza at 9pm to help her through something. For fux sake

Lots of people aren't that naturally considerate, though. The point is that your ex wouldn't have had the right to demand you not to make the pizza. ;)
  • tealtortoise
    tealtortoise Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I like the idea of incorporating my child into a little light work-out. I do agree that weight loss happens in the kitchen. I try to include my son in healthy meal prep together, which we both enjoy.

As for the husband part, I am reading that most of you believe it is I who is being inconsiderate. Thanks for that feedback, I will take it into consideration.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    knowing me i would break the fast as soon as the pizza is cooked
    some how you have to deal with it. Sometimes i will join in with my other half and other times i dont
    dont upset yourself you just have to realise you are on this journey alone.
    good luck
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am gonna suggest, on the time vs exercise front, to get up early or workout after your LO goes to bed. It's true that diet is the biggest factor in weight loss, but if a regular exercise routine helped in the past, start again. It's hard at first to get into it, but soon you will adjust. If you want it, you will make time for it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    So those who think it's too much to ask for her hubby not to make pizza at 9pm...do you ever pick up something that dropped for someone else? Ever hold a door someone else? How bout let someone out in traffic when you might be in a rush yourself? How bout hold in a fart as you sit next to someone?

No? Oh.

Let's say the husband doesn't ever eat a pizza at home, completely changes what he chooses to eat because the OP decided to fast.

What happens when the OP goes to a meal out, family occasion, work party, BBQ etc?

You have to learn to control you as you can not control other people.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I like the idea of incorporating my child into a little light work-out. I do agree that weight loss happens in the kitchen. I try to include my son in healthy meal prep together, which we both enjoy.

As for the husband part, I am reading that most of you believe it is I who is being inconsiderate. Thanks for that feedback, I will take it into consideration.

I think there are threads for mums with toddlers. I'll see if I can link a few for you.