Sweat a lot

Options
Does anyone else have a problem with sweating a lot? I have always had this problem and honestly can't remember if I had it when I was thin (so many years ago). But to be honest, it is almost embarrassing. I look around in the gym and it seems like I am the only one soaked. I don't want it to intimidate me from going to the gym and I when I go to the gym, I want to work out hard and not worry about it.

Replies

• PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    I sweat a great deal, especially from my head so my hair winds up dripping. My chest and back also wind up pretty soaked.

It is a positive and I try to think of it in that way; sweating means your body is functioning the way it should in order to maintain a healthy temperature.

I understand your reservation...for a while being one of the larger women at the gym who also sweated more felt like I was possibly drawing unwanted attention.

Sweating more does NOT mean you are not fit. It means you are exerting yourself (which is good) and your body is doing it's job.

Happy workouts!
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I sweat A LOT and always have no matter how much I weighed. I just figure it's how my body is wired.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. I sweat LOADS when I exercise, and in my boxercise class EVERYONE sweats, even the really skinny people.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of my sweat! Shows people that I'm working hard.

Just make sure you wipe your equipment after use. I don't mind sitting in my own sweat but sitting in someone else's? Not so good...
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I sweat the same way. It ends up looking like I showered in my clothes.
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    I sweat a lot. I always have. Even when I was at my full height (5' 5"0 and weighed 110 lbs. My dad and all my brothers sweat profusely also. I can be drenched and everybody else looks cool and comfortable.

Mary
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    yup your not alone. I sweat a lot too! I actually sweat less now that I have lost weight but I Still sweat a lot.
  • ShannonBurdick
    Options
    I on the other hand with I could sweat! At the gym everyone else is sweating, but not me. I'm working hard, losing weight, killing myself on the machines...no sweat. Everyone is different I suppose. :)
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot, whether I'm working out or not (no rhyme intended).

I actually have hyperhydrosis, and sweat more than anyone I've ever known or seen. I'm hoping it goes away once I'm at a healthy body weight, but it's ridiculous. Very embarrassing during social activities, but no one cares at the gym as long as you wipe down the machines.
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Same here. Especially when I go running. I come home and I can wring my shirt out and have it drip sweat. On one hand I'm so proud when I can do that, and on the other it's like ewwww, but whatever. When I run at the gym I always see people soaked. Either way, I do a lot of laundry every week lol.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I sweat a great deal, especially from my head so my hair winds up dripping.

I totally sweat buckets from my head, too. It runs in our family.

When I go out dancing I end up a hot mess. At least it saves me loads of time getting ready to go out because my hair just goes up into a ponytail :tongue:

So - no - you're not alone!
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Sweat is gooood! Sweat means you're working, and working hard. Don't fight it, embrace the sweaty goodness!

As a society we're rather conditioned to think that being sweaty is bad, particularly if you're overweight. I was once referred to "The sweaty fat guy over there," by someone. Considering that I was working on the highway department in Arkansas in the summertime, uh, YEAH, I was sweaty! Point being is that skinny people sweat, overweight people sweat, horses sweat, and dogs sweat (through their noses and feet). It's a mammalian thing. We all do it. Rejoice!

To me, the sweat is very rewarding. I love to come out of the dojo or off my mtn bike in a full juicy lather. Feels GOOD! HOOAAH!
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My shirt is completely soaked when I'm done at the gym. And now that there's no hair on my head to catch the sweat up there, it just runs down my face.

If anyone is looking at you because of your sweat, they're only thinking, "Wow..what a hard worker!".
  • overit
    overit Posts: 273
    Options
    Thanks! Now can you all just join me at my gym :laugh:
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot too (probably the teenage hormones lol), but I use CertainDri.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am a total sweat machine as well. I do think it's genetic because my dad does the same thing. So, don't worry!
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I sweat TONS. I notice other people don't sweat as much as I would expect either. Makes me think I'm working harder, even though that's probably not true.
  • dleeami
    dleeami Posts: 6
    Options
    I sweat a ton, especially facial sweating. Embarrassing? Oh heck yeah, but what am I going to do? I cannot walk from one end of the grocery to the other without breaking out into a sweat. When I get to the register is where it gets really bad with sweat pouring off my face and dripping into the cart and floor. Hubby often tells me my face is redder than a ripe tomato. :blushing: Even though I have lost a few pounds the sweating seems to be getting worse. It is so bad I carry a pack of baby wipes in my purse just to wipe and cool my face.

I feel for you!
  • Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would rather sweat a lot than stink a lot. That's my problem. It's not so much the amount of moisture-- it's that it reeks. ew. and now I just announced it on the world wide web. :embarassed:
  • Rbarragato
    Rbarragato Posts: 15
    Options
    I LOVE when I sweat a lot when I'm working out--like someone else said it shows how hard I'm working. I do sweat a lot generally and it sucks, but when it's a lot from working out, I love it.