Oatmeal ideas please!

2»

Replies

• saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    I use oats for pancakes too; 1 egg, 2 oz of oats, 1 banana, baking powder and salt. Served with low-cal E.D. Smith syrup, strawberries and coolwhip light.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    I make Trader Joes Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats and mash up a banana in it. At first I thought it wouldn't be sweet enough, but it totally is and I now love it (it took a couple of times to get used to eating oatmeal). Also, a cup of blueberries mashed in is good.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Why eat something you don't like just because it's "good for you"? Find something healthy that you like instead.

Because I had high enough cholesterol that the doctor wanted to put me on medication, and oatmeal consistently came up in my google searches for foods that help lower cholesterol. I did not like it, but gave it a chance. I have grown to like it so much I have it nearly every morning. Tastes change as you change your lifestyle/eating habits. I now like many things I did not used to like before I changed the way I eat. I did not like plain, brown rice before, and now I like it, and would not touch ricearoni type rice.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    I posted this about a year ago: Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oatmeal (with a vegan option).

1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any low-fat milk of your choosing)
    1 cup old-fashioned oats
    1/2 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (I used a container of Danon Light & Fit Greek 2x protein vanilla - the vegan option here is to use 1/2 cup mashed banana or pumpkin puree, which I will try when fall rolls around)
    2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 tbsp of baking stevia or 1/4 cup of sweetener that measures like sugar (I like1/4 cup brown sugar)
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/4 cup protein powder (I used two scoops of the Publix stores Greenwise brand)
    1/2 tbsp cinnamon (optional)

Mix it all up, divide into 2 bowls/jars/tupperwares/etc and cover. Refrigerate overnight and enjoy in the AM cold or pop it in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.

I doubled the recipe and split it FIVE ways and it came out to 226 calories per serving (4g fat, 33g carbs, 16g protein, 5g fiber, 9g sugars). Obviously, calories and nutrients will vary according to the ingredients you use, but still...it looks good! Since my protein powder is chocolate flavored, I did not increase the cocoa powder and since I used real brown sugar, I just used the one 1/4 cup of that. I'll let you know how it turned out in the morning, but I licked the spoon and I'm totes excited. :)

Recipe source: Foodie Girl Fitness on Facebook, who sourced it from DashingDish.

The first time I made it, using 1 cup of milk was too much. I cut it down to 2/3 cup and it was super thick, so I'm going to try again at 3/4 cup and hopefully that will be the right balance.
  • Miilinda
    Miilinda Posts: 1 Member
    I like to do slices of banana, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Simple but delicious!
  • jpotter18
    jpotter18 Posts: 1 Member
    I add 1/2 c uncooked oatmeal
    to large container of yogurt with diced apple let sit in fridge overnight and have a quick made snack ready
  • fitlife07
    fitlife07 Posts: 13 Member
    I like to make Meditteranean chicken wraps using oatmeal as the base for the tortilla.

Basically what I do is process the oatmeal til it's fine. Add on a bit of water, a dash of salt, and a drizzle of oil and mix it until it forms a dough. Knead it for a bit and cut them into equal parts before flattening them into a tortilla. Heat the pan and cook the oat tortillas, about a minute on each side. Then I work on the filling, which is some shredded chicken breasts, shredded lettuce, red and green bell peppers, white onions, and cucumbers. I coat the inside of the wraps with some homemade hummus before adding the filling and wrapping it up. I like the extra nutty-like flavor profile from the oat tortilla. Hope you give it a shot!