Yong Adult Books-anyone else addicted?

Options
JusticeAshley
JusticeAshley Posts: 495 Member
edited February 2017 in Chit-Chat
Hello my name is Justice A, I'm 29 years old, and I'm addicted to young adult books.

It all started 4 years ago when I read the Hunger Games series in about 3 days, and hardly slept while doing so.

My addiction rebirthed as I recently read the Divergent series. I originally boycotted it, feeling it was a rip off of the Hunger Games, but was pleasantly surprised, and liked it for different reasons than I liked the Hunger Games.

However, my most shameful addiction started this weekend, when I started reading the Twilight saga. I already read the first book, and am halfway through the second. Although their are several parts of the books that drive me crazy, I find myself sucked in.

What about you? Any YA books that you're addicted to? If so, what sucks you in?

Replies

• KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I remember enjoying a series called Everworld.
  • JusticeAshley
    Options
    I never heard of those series, I'll definitely look them up!

I really like dystopian too! I recently watched the 5th wave. It wasn't the best movie, but it did have my hooked.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Check out this site: http://www.epicreads.com/ They have the best YA reading lists and recommendations. :)
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't read them myself, but my little sister is absolutely addicted and I am her main dealer :) so here are her top recommendations as rated by squee:

- anything by Cassandra Clare (she loves the Mortal Instruments best)
    - anything by Maggie Stiefvater (but so far her favourites are the Raven Boy series)
    - Lunar Chronicles (Marissa Meyer)
    - Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce (she likes the Alanna Books as well)
    - Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo
    - A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray
    - Throne of Glass Trilogy - Sarah J Maas
    - Iron Codex by Caitlin Kitteredge

Mostly she likes stuff with girls as the main character who tend to be tough and while there's usually a love triangle, she's reading for the fantasy! She likes dystopias as well - like The Fifth Wave and The Giver by Lois Lowry
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the genre mostly. I am addicted to reading period. Some young adult.. some adult.. I did enjoy the hunger games and divergent but maze runner can burn for all I care.

I liked Among the Hidden. My son got me into that when he was in the second grade. Same for the Ice fire series. He likes to read a lot too. I made him read Eragon in the second grade and created a monster. We like a lot of fantasy based books or apocalyptic type books like hunger games.

Among the Hidden is a like divergent and hunger games. Kind of dark version of the world when government takes over and screws with society.

Icefire is about dragons

I liked Acorna series by Anne McCaffrey. I hated her dragon books though..

Someone already mentioned Throne of Glass series

Brian Hathbone is a good author. Rice Morgan, Katie Macalister has a young adult series. I LOVE Terah Edun's Courtlight series. There are just too many to think of.

Try novel7.com, 8novels.net, thebestfreebooks.com, freevampires.net.. These are free sites to read books on.
  • JusticeAshley
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! James Patterson is an amazing author.

I definitely loved the Hunger Games; I loved the story and of course Katniss' relationship with Peeta. I loved the themes, and when I first read it, I thought about it for days after. For the most part, I thought they did a good job in making them into movies, however, I always thought Katie was more aggressive or tough in the books.

I'll definitely check out Among the Hidden.

What do you think the appeal of dystopian books/movies is?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Steelheart series by Brandon Sanderson. It was awesome. Not really dystopian I guess but it's definitely another world (where superheroes are the bad guys).

And the Rithmatist as well (there's a second coming up eventually). That's more about magic.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Neal Schusterman is a favorite YA author of mine - he writes dystopia - loved the Unwind dystology and just finished his newest

for historical fiction - Ruta Sepytas is a fav

I'm reading Maggie Steinhaver (spelling?) Raven Boys right now
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think the appeal of dystopia is the idea that even if the world has gone to hell, that the smallest, most seemingly insignificant person can have an input (like Katniss pre-HG - who would have thought?)
  • JusticeAshley
    Options
    Thank you all the suggestions!

I definitely agree with the theory of the appeal of dystopian. I also think it has to do with a sense of purpose, that we were put on this Earth for a reason.

I finished Twilight Eclipse. Im still conflicted with it. I somewhat like the storyline, but I agree with the criticms that it can be viewed as anti-feminist. The constant references of how Edward and the other vampires handle Bella like a child, and she accepted it really bothered me. I understand the author was referencing their abilities and her lack thereof, but I feel like she could have worded it differently.

This might be part of the appeal to Hunger Games and Divergent. They both have strong female characters. I like how the books portray their struggles, but how they overcame them and with difficulty at times.
  • ohmsresearchatyahoodotcom
    Options
    I have read the Hunger Games series. But there is also a lot of truth in this:

1474458612-0.jpg
  • Archer2017
    Archer2017 Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was addicted to the Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson.

Cried when I finished the 5th book of The Falling Kingdoms because I have to wait until December for the 6th one.
    I loved these so much that I'll probably read them over again before the last book gets published.

Currently on the first book of The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare.

Loved the Hunger Games, although I wasn't a huge fan of the Divergent Series but it was probably because I read them straight after the Hunger Games and they just weren't on the same playing field.

There's something about these book that I devour. It's a whole lot of everything that sometimes other books just don't offer.
  • BrinaBecnel
    BrinaBecnel Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank God I'm not the only one! I'm 26 & share books with a 15 year old!! LMAO

I'd love more recommendations & feel free to add so we can chat about books! :)
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I am a middle school teacher and the mother of a middle-schooler, so I'm always reading and enjoying YA books. Right now, I'm reading the Dorothy Must Die series by Danielle Paige. It's the story of what happens after The Wizard of Oz. Dorothy returns to Oz, and she's evil. It's so good!
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Does Tokyo Ghoul count?
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    dc8066 wrote: »
    Does Tokyo Ghoul count?

Lol, I don't think so. Also, TG would be better categorized as "horror/supernatural," I think. I certainly wouldn't want my tween to be reading that.
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    Was not a massive fan of The Hunger Games, but I love anything John Green
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but there are a few I like. I discovered Laini Taylor's "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" series a while ago and really enjoyed it (I love her prose so much!). I also recently purchased the first volume of "The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stiefvater because it looked really interesting (and a few of my friends recommended it to me). Also also, Tamora Pierce's "Song of the Lioness" and "Protector of the Small" series will forever be my favorite. :3