Core Exercise?

Options
My doctor told me i needed to wok on my Core, Because that will help heal my back.. so i'm not really sure what todo??

Replies

• lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a video of core exercises by the Mayo Clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-strength/SM00047
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Pilates is great for the core as well.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    i would suggest pilates. AND i would also suggest figuring out what is wrong with your back...SOME core work makes certain back problems worse. for example...if your psoas is OUT or your pelvis is sprained (actually quite common)...until you work on fixing those issues...it will jsut get worse. doctors dont always know...
    good luck! if you want to message me, maybe i can help...

Cindy
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Try taking a look at Fitness or Fit&Style magazine... they always have exercise cards with new exercise ideas. For the most part, MOST exercises you do will condition your core in some way (for instance, push ups - the normal way, not the girly way).

Take a look here for some 5min exercise tips: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/abs/express/5-minute-core-workout-strong-abs-and-back/
  • SLRD
    SLRD Posts: 47
    Options
    Thank you, i'll take a look at the links you've given me.. i never even thought about pilates, but it dose make sence..
    My Back, i have a hernyated disk in my L4 L5 S1, posbley my S2 as well. my back dosen't hurt at all it's my left leg, i thought that was odd but aperently its common..
    Agian thank you all for you sugestions..
  • KionaD
    KionaD Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    YES, strengthen your core! I have back issues also it was pulling on my knees so my doctor told me to do the same. I try to do a lot of planks, crunches, push ups and bicycle crunches. The mayo clinic core exercise link below is a good start.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Planks, planks, and more planks! You just hold in the up position of a pushup. Start off holding for ten seconds and work up to a minute.
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Planks, planks, and more planks! You just hold in the up position of a pushup. Start off holding for ten seconds and work up to a minute.

Planks are indeed awesome! Just don't get these planks confused with the terrible art of 'planking' that teenagers do these days
  • nanc94
    nanc94 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    you might want to ask your Dr what specific excercises you can do....and or have him send you to Physical therapy...you dont necessarily have to go to therapy for a long period of time...they can actually teach home exercises and show you the proper way to do them
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i would suggest pilates. AND i would also suggest figuring out what is wrong with your back...SOME core work makes certain back problems worse. for example...if your psoas is OUT or your pelvis is sprained (actually quite common)...until you work on fixing those issues...it will jsut get worse. doctors dont always know...
    good luck! if you want to message me, maybe i can help...

Cindy

Cindy is dead right, it is vital that you get your psoas checked out, I usually find it causes the majority of my client's back pain (not to mention the influence on hips, balance, digestive and enotiona balance, I could go on!)