How come carbs fill me up more than protein and fat? Is there something wrong?

Options
KittenTamer91
KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been trying different eating approaches to figure out what would be easiest for me to sustain to stay under calories, avoid binging, and having enough energy for workouts. After experimenting, I noticed that proteins and fats barely fill me up. In fact, the only days I binged were on the higher protein/fat days, and when I did binge, a majority of the binge food was protein/fat. I managed to end the binge with a low calorie, high carb meal and it worked. Anyways, I'm always satisfied, energized and in a deficit when I eat high carb, low protein/fat. If I eat high protein/fat and low carb [or even medium everything], I'll exceed my calorie limit and have cravings and low energy. I'm just curious why is this? I thought its supposed to be the other way around.

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Every Body is different
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't mean there is something wrong with you. I, too, find satiety with a higher carb diet, usually when it's combined with fiber.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all wrong with that, eat what satisfies you within your calorie goal
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I to eat a medium to higher carb diet- for me those carbs are in the forms of fruits/ veggies and whole grains- this works for me and give me volume-
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My best friends mother has always eaten a low fat, higher carb diet. She has maintained a healthy weight but decided she wanted to loose 10 lbs for vanity sake. This was right when Atkins was all the rage, so she did the Atkins diet and ended up gaining 10 lbs instead of loosing. She went back to her low fat, higher carb diet and lost those added 10 lbs eventually. Different approaches work for different people, thats why there are million different diets out there. Do what works for you. Personally, I eat higher protein, but its not because I consciously try to eat high protein, just the foods I like, such as greek yogurt and chicken, are higher protein foods. I eat what I like and what satisfies me.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    It's more about your personal satiety than the macros themselves. Being aware of what makes you feel the best is a good step to finding healthy lifetime eating plan that you will stick to.

Some people swear by oatmeal for breakfast and how it 'sticks to their ribs' and keeps them full. Holy cow, if I eat just oatmeal for breakfast all it does is fuel my furnace and within an hour I'm starving! So, I add an egg or eggwhites to my oatmeal and it helps.

Protein and fats keep me energized and feeling fuller longer.

However...if I get super cravings to eat, even when I'm not truly hungry-ONLY CARBS will satisfy me. I'll opt for a bowl of cream of wheat with a bit of Stevia and it's enough to curb the I WANT TO EAT THE WORLD feeling.

Every body is truly different. I've had the best success in losing by keeping my carbs at a moderate level (100g or less) , eating much more healthy fats, and plenty of protein.

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    iv lost 80 pounds in the past 9 months eating mostly carbs even after my nutritionist told me to eat low carb for PCOS. I was miserable. Took me a while to just realize my body loves carbs....majority of what i eat is breads and potatoes and i feel fantastic when i do. Plus potates are delicious and cheap as *kitten* to eat majority of my meals XD Nothing wrong with you at all

If youd like to compare our recipes and meals feel free to message me id love to hear about your diet
  • MagneticGanymede
    MagneticGanymede Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I enjoy high-carb foods more and part of satiety, for me, is having eaten something I enjoyed.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Satiety is individual, there isn't anything wrong with you.

This. I also do better with a higher carb ratio. Nothing wrong with carbs :)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    My husband could live on pasta and bread (he's from Italy). I love them, but protein is what fills me up, so I prefer to eat less of the pasta and more protein/fat. He says he just feels better on carbs. I don't particular feel bad after eating carbs, but I could sit down and polish off a TON of pasta and bread before I ever felt full.

• Vegankid192
    Vegankid192 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My husband could live on pasta and bread (he's from Italy). I love them, but protein is what fills me up, so I prefer to eat less of the pasta and more protein/fat. He says he just feels better on carbs. I don't particular feel bad after eating carbs, but I could sit down and polish off a TON of pasta and bread before I ever felt full.

It is most likely because those are refined carbohydrates. Try eating the equivalent in whole baked sweet potatoes/ white potatoes/brown rice ect and you will find them much more satiating.
  • Lou_trition
    Lou_trition Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a nutritionist since the start of the year and she has me on 3x my Kg bodyweight in Carbs. I've never eaten as much carbs in my life, but I am properly fueled, with plenty of energy and looking leaner. Listen to your body... Its is asking you for the carbs!
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's just different for everybody. I'm the exact opposite. Took me a long time to figure that out.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I seem to do better with complex carbs also. I'm a "volume" person, which is mostly carb-type foods. That works for me, although, I do try to eat more protein than what I used to do, which also helps.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    While I like more protein, my sister and my nephews do fine on a lot more carbs. Satiety is very individual.
  • leoniemcdee
    leoniemcdee Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I realised not long ago that I *have* to have carbs with every meal or I just don't feel full. My carbs are always way over the macro suggestions but I'm rarely famished or suffering from cravings so I guess it's working! My plan is to lose the weight and then when I'm in maintenance play around with macros. Right now, it's all about the deficit and for me high carb helps a lot with that.