Asthmatic help?

Options
I always find it hard to work out because when I do I cannot breath. Even if I take my inhaler before and after. I cannot run. So what do I do? I'm trying to lose 20 pounds in just under 18 weeks. I've cut out most dairy except for cheese. I only drink water. Almond milk, and protein shakes which has water or almond base. I eat a lot of veggies, fruit, protein, and nuts. I restrict myself to 1,200 calories a day but sometimes I slip up. It's hard to balance my macros too :( help!

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I agree that you should talk with your doctor about other treatment options. Until then, if you're having trouble increasing your calories out, focus on calories in. Protein shakes and almond milk have calories. Nuts have a LOT of calories. I'm not saying to cut these things out, but just know that they all factor into the big picture. No calories are free, no matter how "healthy" they are.

Eta: why the deadline? Depending on your weight and height, that may be too aggressive a goal.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have controlled asthma. I jog in intervals on my treadmill as my way of getting my cardio in on the days I want it while still being in control of my breathing.

I agree to talk to your doctor or try other forms of cardio like a stationary bike
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The main factor in losing weight is how many calories you are eating relative to how many you are burning. I personally shoot for a balanced diet, rather than eliminating any particular category of foods.

Working out can help you burn more, but isn't required to lose weight. Maybe try something a little less intense, like an elliptical machine, where you can moderate the intensity to a level that doesn't trigger your asthma.

Speaking as someone who has had serious, lifelong, chronic asthma, if your inhaler isn't controlling your asthma, talk with your pulmonologist, as there are lots of other medications you can try. In my case, the right medications made a HUGE difference.

Then I discovered that I was allergic to wheat. Since I stopped eating it 10 or 15 years ago, my asthma has more or less disappeared. It has changed my life.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Find a doctor. I have two inhalers... a rescue one, and a long-term one that I take twice a day no matter what.

For years I tried to make do with the rescue one only... and it just doesn't cut it.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    talk to your doctor. Not sure if you are on a long term controller - that might help. I am also asthmatic. Mine is exercise induced and mostly difficult in cold weather so I only need to use a rescue (when needed) inhaler in those conditions. Many people need a daily controller to 'control' their asthma. Learning your triggers is also important. Your doctor can better help you figure this out. Also, some of my problem was just building up my actual endurance and lung capacity.

Regarding the weight loss. just be sure to be in a caloric deficit and stick with it. The weight will come off. good luck
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    A daily steroid inhaler controls my asthma pretty well. I always carry ProAir just in case. Tell your doc you have exercise induced asthma. Also make sure you are hydrated and not eating foods that give you symptoms.