TV is hard to watch without eating

I am finding it very hard to watch tv and not eat.....how do you guys do it?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I have times that I eat. I don't really watch tv but I surf the web, so I consider it the same. Entertainment on the screen.

Anyway. I push my dinner until 7:30, drink tea between then and dessert which is 9:00. I plan for whatever I have at dessert time. There's no room for snacking in between.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    i eat sugar free jello with heavy whipping cream. or plain airpopped popcorn (measured to fit within calories for the day)
    but usually i don't eat while watching t.v. because i watch t.v. in bed and i don't like crumbs in my covers! ;)
  • piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    I march in place, or play phone games/casually browse Pinterest to keep my hands busy. I make sure to save a couple hundred calories to spend freely in the evenings or plan out my snacks ahead of time and at what time I will have them.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    I watch very little tv. It's like junk food for your idle brain.
  • MacaronStyle
    MacaronStyle Posts: 35 Member
    I do my nails. I also browse MFP on my phone.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I have an aerobic step in front of my tv and do that instead of snacking.

I have a treadmill, but the same idea. Doesn't work playing games, but for watching tv I may as well be walking than sitting on the couch.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    It's easier for me to watch without eating when I'm watching and using a cardio machine at the same time. But I'm usually using the cardio machine to burn some calories I just did eat or intend to eat next.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I keep my hands busy. Tonight it was two glasses of Perrier water through a straw. I may also read, play chess, or sew.
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    I just don't eat outside of meals. Use up all of your calories at dinner!
  • Tacklewasher
    It's easier for me to watch without eating when I'm watching and using a cardio machine at the same time. But I'm usually using the cardio machine to burn some calories I just did eat or intend to eat next.

I need it for my next drink. :)
  • Tacklewasher
    meh, just get rid of the cable :tongue: Nothing good on TV worth payin for anyway lol

I'd miss hockey and football too much.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    watching a good movie/tv show excites my eating
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Find something else to do and work on changing the mental connection between TV and eating... once summer is over I'm going to start knitting or crocheting again, that's good to keep my hands busy so I'm not looking to eat out of boredom. While it's too hot to knit, I'm trying to stay busy sorting old photos on my computer, that's also good to keep me from mindless eating.
  • Tacklewasher
    Couldn't you just do what moe did on the simpsons? Run behind cars with TV's and watch what theyre watching?

LOL
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Turn the TV off to eat. I do much, much better if I engage in mindful eating, where I take away all the other distractions. No phone, no internet, not TV while eating.

And since I am just getting back into things, thank you for reminding me of how much that helps!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Turn the TV off to eat. I do much, much better if I engage in mindful eating, where I take away all the other distractions. No phone, no internet, not TV while eating.

And since I am just getting back into things, thank you for reminding me of how much that helps!

I think their problem is eating while watching TV, not watching TV while eating... so if they ate dinner and an hour later went in to watch some pretty serious law and order special victims unit, they would be bringing the chip bag with them

Yes, but if they tell themselves they have to turn off the TV to eat the chips, they are more likely to put the chip bag down.