Tumeric supplements

Options
Hey was wondering if taking a tumeric supplement would be beneficial or not world anyone recommend it or know more about tumeric benefits?
Thanks

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    for weight loss? no. not sure about anything else
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It's an anti-inflammatory so it may help you out if you have sore joints or something along those lines.
  • bradsemail80
    bradsemail80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest it. The benefits are immense. Besides being one of the very best anti-inflammatory, it's helps with blood sugar, anti-abortion as well. It must be combined with black pepper and healthy fat for absorption.
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i heard that is was meant to help with good skin ?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    My experience with turmeric supplements is not good but I have an inflammatory bowel disorder. I started taking it as I'd read it has anti inflammatory properties. That may or may not be true,but with me it caused internal bleeding and I became severely anaemic. I would research the contraindications before you start taking high strength supplements. Using it as a spice in cooking is probably better.
  • Wilburfixit
    Wilburfixit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi as had been said you need to take it with pepper and an oil as it isn't water soluble. It's better at preventing imflamation than treating it but it's also alleged to be a mild anti-depressant. Don't waste money on capsules just use the spice in your daily diet. Far cheaper.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I would suggest it. The benefits are immense. Besides being one of the very best anti-inflammatory, it's helps with blood sugar, anti-abortion as well. It must be combined with black pepper and healthy fat for absorption.

anti abortion?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    My experience with turmeric supplements is not good but I have an inflammatory bowel disorder. I started taking it as I'd read it has anti inflammatory properties. That may or may not be true,but with me it caused internal bleeding and I became severely anaemic. I would research the contraindications before you start taking high strength supplements. Using it as a spice in cooking is probably better.

yeah it does state that tumeric can cause bleeding in some individuals taking certain meds or that have certain health issues. forgot about that.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

anti abortion?

Maybe it stands outside clinics holding a placard!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Ps I'm with Gallowmere - use it in its spice form.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hey was wondering if taking a tumeric supplement would be beneficial or not world anyone recommend it or know more about tumeric benefits?
    Thanks

if you are asking in regards to weight loss the answer is no.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    This would suggest it's actually not safe during pregnancy as it can cause bleeding (so not anti abortion then)
    http://www.m.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-662/turmeric
  • jbrown2339
    jbrown2339 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would avoid any supplements without talking to your doctor. I had a friend who took them, was very 'hippy', and I kept finding really bad side effects from some of them with limited benefits. A lot of the stuff you find online is be very cautious about without talking to a real doctor or certified nutritionist. Now just adding turmeric to your food, go for it.