Read somewhere where a guy goes low carb during the day

Options
And eats his carbs at night. The theory behind it is you burn more fat during the day when you exercise and you burn the carbs at night during your sleep cycle. He also said that you will have more energy in the morning do to the carb fuel.

Any truth behind this?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Commonly known as Carb backloading...

I train at night so eat most of carbs (and calories) then. Like IF, it's just a way of eating - if you're losing weight, it's because of a deficit. If it makes you feel good, do it. I know some people who love it, others who hate it (causes sleep issues).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,780 Member
    Options
    The funny part is that it is the exact opposite of what I would expect a person focusing on tortuous nutrient timing claims would claim.

The usual claim is that carbs not getting burned by exercise at night turn into fat. So don't eat before bed.

as far as I'm concerned I would await for peer reviewed studies for either of the two claims :wink:

In the meanwhile I would concentrate on eating at a consistent caloric deficit in a way that left me as satiated and happy as possible regardless of timing.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I do CBL in a sense, but it's because I lift at 2:00-3:00 am on my lifting days during the work week. Essentially, I just time my carbs as close as reasonably possible to where they can be most productive. There's no magical fat loss properties, but it does keep me from suffering the carb bloat that I get from eating them in a more spaced out manner.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't think this will retain the concept of starving your body of carbs so that it is forced to rely on fat for energy. The body stores of up to 2,000 calories of carbs that it uses when you exert yourself. During exercise without eating carbs, this is where it would get its energy. At night, with carbs available in the gut, it would restock the stored carbs from those carbs rather than using the slower process involved in converting fat. The interesting thing is that it wouldn't be the carbs he is eating at night that would be stored as fat but the stuff he is eating during the day. Of course, if he is eating at a calorie deficit then he still won't be eating enough to replace everything he uses and his fat stores will be drawn down anyway.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    omakase619 wrote: »
    Any truth behind this?

probably not :)
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't think this will retain the concept of starving your body of carbs so that it is forced to rely on fat for energy. The body stores of up to 2,000 calories of carbs that it uses when you exert yourself. During exercise without eating carbs, this is where it would get its energy. At night, with carbs available in the gut, it would restock the stored carbs from those carbs rather than using the slower process involved in converting fat. The interesting thing is that it wouldn't be the carbs he is eating at night that would be stored as fat but the stuff he is eating during the day. Of course, if he is eating at a calorie deficit then he still won't be eating enough to replace everything he uses and his fat stores will be drawn down anyway.

Insightful. Thank you for the info.