I have a stupid CICO question

Options
Hi,

I started about 8 weeks with MFP, I'm set to lose 1 pound a week with calories of 1600 ish. I've a fitbit but generally try not to dip into exercise calories and the last 3 - 4 weeks I've started couch to 5k and stuck with it. I dropped 16 pounds pretty quickly but the last three weeks or so I've been hovering around 220, up a bit, down a bit but always coming back to this point.

So, getting to the point, my question is, if I'm under on the calories and exercising how much does the quality of what I'm eating come in to play? I'm usually way under on fiber and protein which I know are both essential. I'm managing to keep my sugar reasonably low most of the time and got the carbs at an ok level for T1 diabetes.

Just going to unlock my diary, ignore Saturday night, had a big blow out dinner!

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'd say that,although it won't make any difference to weight loss,it could make a difference to your overall health and energy. So if you only have a limited amount of calories to play around with,it would make sense for those calories to be mostly made up with nutrient dense foods.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? You had a crumpet, not weighed but it was 187 calories? I love blowouts but do you have a lot of these? They add up if you don't count your intake correctly.
  • fitchick37
    fitchick37 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale for anything being cooked from raw but packaged goods I go by the labels if it gives a portion size eg for one crumpet. I have got in the habit of checking the MFP entries too as found some total screw ups. And yeah, quality would make a lot of sense, there's a load of bad stuff gone from my diet, mainly the alcohol that was a daily feature....so no to the blowouts, I think this was the first one.
  • jnananamaste
    jnananamaste Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is correct, but once you lost that 16 lbs and log that in your progress, would MFP drop your calories? What's your activity level set to? Maybe try putting it down to a less active level just to see how that impacts your calorie recommendation?

Great job BTW. Sounds like you've made some positive changes lately. Don't give up!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend weighing package goods just to be accurate - for example, I made a sandwich this weekend, but when I weighed my 2 slices - it was closer to 2.5 servings - which I accounted for in my logging.
  • fitchick37
    Options
    @jnananamaste no drop in calories suggested yet but I'll double check and drop the activity level
  • fitchick37
    Options
    Just checked and still set at sedentary...guess I'll try cut some of the bad fats and up the protein and see if I get some more progress. It's very frustrating!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    fitchick37 wrote: »
    Just checked and still set at sedentary...guess I'll try cut some of the bad fats and up the protein and see if I get some more progress. It's very frustrating!

It's frustrating, but from where I am at maintenance, if you keep doing the right things your body will eventually respond in the expected way.
    My first question is always are you drinking enough water? Especially when I am running, which I am right now because I have a couple of charity races coming up, I find that I need to drink 80 or so ounces a day or my weight creeps up.
  • fitchick37
    Options
    fitchick37 wrote: »

It's frustrating, but from where I am at maintenance, if you keep doing the right things your body will eventually respond in the expected way.
    My first question is always are you drinking enough water? Especially when I am running, which I am right now because I have a couple of charity races coming up, I find that I need to drink 80 or so ounces a day or my weight creeps up.

I feel like I'm drinking gallons....it's largely sugar free squash/cordial, the very occasional diet soda. Dehydration is one of my biggest problems, I think it's partly diabetes related. I'm on my 4th UK pint of squash today...so almost 2 litres, no idea about ounces!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) 16lbs in 8 weeks is a lot.
    2) Weight loss is not linear
    3) Be patient
    4) Weigh everything and do not rely on portion sizes from the packs
  • fitchick37
    Options
    The patience is wearing very thin!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    patience is a virtue (and not one that I often possess) - it has taken me 3 months to lose 8lbs (focusing more on recomp than weight loss) - but I know that it will be more sustainable in the long-run
  • esneer1
    esneer1 Posts: 42 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I would suggest trying to pay more attention to your macros. I've been trying it this past week - it is hard to meet both macros and calories for sure. But I'm aiming to eat 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. I think upping your protein and decreasing fat will help. Someone said monitoring your macros has no influence but I disagree. Sure every body is going to react differently but it works for me. Also, 200 calories of something high in protein and low in fat is much better for you than a 200 calories worth of cookies or something fattening. Yes, calories are calories - but try and focus on eating clean, whole foods more than processed foods.

Do you drink any protein powder? If I need to add some more protein, I'll have a quick protein drink (just the protein powder mixed with water) to boost my protein intake. It is also great to help your body recover from exercise! I personally am using herbalife right now and am completely hooked because it is so delicious. In the past, I have also used gnc wheybolic extreme and have also used just a cheap kind of whey protein from walmart. I'm not saying one is better than the other - try different kinds and brands and see which one you like. You wont drink it if you think it's disgusting so it helps if you find one that you think taste amazing then it feels like a treat!

Also, what helps me see more weightloss sometimes is zigzagging calories. One day eat 100 or 200 more calories (high protein healthy choices, not saying go eat donuts or anything) and the next day eat 100-200 less calories. do this back and forth through the week. This helps me sometimes when I get stuck.

My fitbit automatically syncs to myfitnesspal so I never add my exercises but I also never eat back my exercise calories.

This is just my opinion on what has worked for me. Stay strong and motivated. Also think beyond the scale. Take progress photos and measurements and also think about the non-scale victories. Sometimes you need to ignore the scale. I know you are trying so hard and you are doing amazing! Keep up the hard work!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You need to adjust your expectations and settle in for the long haul.
    Did you gain weight at 2lbs a week? @trigden1991 hit the nail on the head.

Fiddling around with macro balance isn't going to achieve much!
    "Quality of food" doesn't equal lower calories, not that I think you should drop calories anyway with your weight loss so far.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    Options
    I would highly suggest weighing pre-packaged food as well. For instance, I can grab 2 slices of bread and when I weigh them it usually works out to 2.2 slices or sometime 1.8 slices. Even granola bars rarely come to 1 serving. I usually get 1.1 or 1.2 bars. Which for some items can make a big difference. Add up 4 or 5, 25 calorie misses a day and over time it makes a difference. But like everyone says, it is patience that will help the most. Just remember that it took years to put the weight on. Might take a while to take it all off.
  • StevieFishwick
    StevieFishwick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What you're eating doesn't matter. If you're in a deficit you're going to lose weight, end of story. You may need a diet break depending on how long you've been dieting, but you're in a very big deficit and could even raise calories and keep losing weight. Your best option is to determine calories taking into activity level and not logging exercise at all.
    esneer1 wrote: »
    I would suggest trying to pay more attention to your macros. I've been trying it this past week - it is hard to meet both macros and calories for sure. But I'm aiming to eat 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. I think upping your protein and decreasing fat will help. Someone sad monitoring your macros has no influence but I disagree. Sure every body is going to react differently but it works for me. Also, 200 calories of something high in protein and low in fat is much better for you than a 200 calories worth of cookies or something fattening. Yes, calories are calories - but try and focus on eating clean, whole foods more than processed foods.

I strongly strongly disagree with this comment. You don't need to "eat clean" to lose weight. Also macronutrient values are determined on very personal statistics therefore percentages will NOT do anything to help you at all. Protein is set to maintain muscle, fat is set to maintain hormone function, and carbs make up the rest. Like I said, you do NOT need to eat "clean". Check out iifym, it'll explain much more about the eating clean myth. If I eat 1400 calories of cake or 1400 calories of chicken and broccoli, I'm going to lose the same amount of weight. Promise.
  • esneer1
    esneer1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What you're eating doesn't matter. If you're in a deficit you're going to lose weight, end of story. You may need a diet break depending on how long you've been dieting, but you're in a very big deficit and could even raise calories and keep losing weight. Your best option is to determine calories taking into activity level and not logging exercise at all.
    esneer1 wrote: »
    I would suggest trying to pay more attention to your macros. I've been trying it this past week - it is hard to meet both macros and calories for sure. But I'm aiming to eat 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. I think upping your protein and decreasing fat will help. Someone sad monitoring your macros has no influence but I disagree. Sure every body is going to react differently but it works for me. Also, 200 calories of something high in protein and low in fat is much better for you than a 200 calories worth of cookies or something fattening. Yes, calories are calories - but try and focus on eating clean, whole foods more than processed foods.

I strongly strongly disagree with this comment. You don't need to "eat clean" to lose weight. Also macronutrient values are determined on very personal statistics therefore percentages will NOT do anything to help you at all. Protein is set to maintain muscle, fat is set to maintain hormone function, and carbs make up the rest. Like I said, you do NOT need to eat "clean". Check out iifym, it'll explain much more about the eating clean myth. If I eat 1400 calories of cake or 1400 calories of chicken and broccoli, I'm going to lose the same amount of weight. Promise.

Thanks for reminding me why I never post on these boards. People are so damn up tight- get over yourself. As I stated multiple times I was sharing what works for me.
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat in a deficit and sometimes it takes 3.5 weeks for it to show up on the scale. The last loss I had was 5 lbs showing up after 3.5 weeks after the holidays. If it were not for my belief in science I would have given up and ate everything!