question for guys who bike a lot

Options
jdm0804
jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
Heres the deal. I love riding my bike, and I want to be able to ride in a century ride by next year. The trouble is that by the tine I hit 5 miles, I've got saddle soreness and my dangly bits are sore and itchy!

I wear padded bike shorts, but they don't seem to help any! It's incredibly frustrating, because I want to keep going, but I don't exactly want to do so at the cost of spending the rest of the day with a sore butt and an itchy coin-purse...

Suggestions?

Replies

• dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ouch ! I know that feeling. My buddy uses the Bike shorts and he rides like 60 miles in a day. I purchased a bigger seat for my bike and my wife's. That helped but didn't fix the issue. Good Luck.
  • ninjahonor
    ninjahonor Posts: 13
    Options
    I was always told that you will get used to it. Not comforting I know, but it is true after a while. Sometimes it could be the bike shorts you have too. Perhaps they just aren't right for you..
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My bf doesn't bike but he did get chaffing from boxing and running so he does a heavy dusting of baby powder down there.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Go to a bike shop, and purchase something similar to butt butter. It's cream that you put in the bike shorts, and it prevents this from happening. Well worth the purchase.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Here is a company that makes the stuff; there are others out there:

http://circlecitybicycles.com/cbutter.htm
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    just go to walmart and buy the fat *kitten* seat. It might look a bit dorky but it is so much more comfortable than the stock seat... no shame in my game, and the southern boys don't ache at all...
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Chamois butt'r and a bike seat with a groove where your dangly bits go. We do century rides and my husband also tilts his seat downward a bit. A good bike shop will let you try loaner seats to find out which one fits you and the boys best.
  • Success41
    Success41 Posts: 44
    Options
    LMAO @ Dangle bits!!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Go to the bike shop and get a SPLIT SEAT. It is essentially a bike seat split in half with nothing in the middle. I used to get "tingly naughty bits" cuz of either a pinched nerve or cut off blood flow. It doesn't look like it would be any different but I assure you, once you get used to it, you'll love it.
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I ride a far bit, the sore bottom may be because you just aren't used to being on the saddle and you need to toughen up the sits bones area, that area is not used to the pressure you area applying to it. More time on the bike will help as will quality cycling shorts. A bigger, fatter seat may not be what your looking for.

As for the tingly bits, it may be that you need to get a different saddle, or get the big fit to YOU, so that the seat height is right, the fore and aft of saddle is correct, the tilt is correct for YOUR body style. It should also help your reach to the bars and breaks/shifters.
  • jdm0804
    jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to go to the shop where I bought my bike sometime soon, and look into new shorts and a new seat. It's been driving me crazy, because my body is raring to go further, but I just can't! But I won't let that stop me!