Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is weighing/logging everything necessary?

Replies

• LesbianBicycle
    LesbianBicycle Posts: 9 Member
    You should weigh some things. It can make a difference. I don't typically weigh vegetables, but I do weigh meat, fish, and potatoes.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Do whatever works for you. If you can lose the weight and keep it off without logging, that is great!.
    Many of us can not.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    For me yes it is a must, I have been here before and when I stopped it all went amiss. Can I see a time when I don't have to weigh everything? Yes for some of the time. Logging though is here to stay for me, though it might be estimates on low cal stuff
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    i weighed everything for a year. It was a crucial learning experience. A general knowledge and awareness of calorie content wasn't enough to really appreciate how it adds up, and especially how my favorite and regular foods add up. I considered myself fairly well informed, and found out I had a lot to learn about serving size, and how "healthy" does not mean "low-cal" (hello trying to sub. avocado for mayo). But after a year, i started falling off the wagon - it was chore to weigh and log and starting to drag me down and avoid cooking the way I love, with many ingredients. Now having had that knowledge base developed, I keep a food journal, counting up cals estimates in my head. I think about what I'm going to eat for the day in the morning, have a plan, and instead of doing copious amounts of math at every meal calculating exactly how much of each ingredient I can use, I use moderation. I find the discipline not go overboard and cheat is easier now than weighing each and every ingredient and searching for accurate entries. But I couldn't do that without having had the learning experience first. And I still use the scale for high calorie ingredients that can easily throw one off. And I exercise regularly and don't count the calories from that. It's just there and helps offset flaws in my estimating. I guess it helps too, that I only eat twice a day, so it's easier to add up and keep tabs on what I've eaten. If you're a "small snack every 2 hours" person - that might require more diligence.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    The simplest habit that offers the highest reward is the best.
    If you hate weighing, don't.
    If you hate counting, don't.

Countless other ways to lose weight and be healthy. You shouldn't have to reduce all of your food to numbers and strip the enjoyment from it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    For weighing- I think it is initially a great idea for new people to get really good with their scale and weight everything. The reason most people end up here is they are unable to recognize serving sizes. As I figured things out I am less adamant about weighing everything all the time, I don't weight the lettuce when I make a salad anymore, but whats 5 calories? I still weight peanut butter every time, because I can still add an extra 100cals worth without realizing it.

For logging- I find logging just forces me to be mindful of what I am eating. I can often times pretty much sum up in my head how many calories are in something without truly logging anymore. And knowing my general calorie targets for meals/days can mostly stay withing range without logging. I definitely had to learn these skills and make my self log every day for a long time to get to where I am now. And it can be easy to forget things without the actual log there to remind you. I also follow similar to weighing now, a could celery sticks I don't beat myself up about not logging, a handful of nuts is another story.

As some others have mentioned, you see alot of advice about logging really strictly given because you see alot of thread about "I am doing everything and still not being successful", which is occasionally true, but more often than not its just that the person never really learned to really log well.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

I am sure that there are people who haven't logged everything and still manage to lose weight or maintain. I guess what I would like to know is why I see so many posts on here where people insist everything has to be weighed or logged, what is the reasoning for that, and why can't someone be successful without that?

Because although SOME people MAY be successful losing/maintaining weight without logging, you are pretty much GUARANTEED success if you do. Most people will take the guarantee over the chance.

Well, that's a sweeping and incorrect generalization.

How so?

If you log your calories accurately and completely you actually *are* guaranteed to be able to track how much you are eating, and therefore know if you really are in the deficit required to lose weight.

Don't know how that can be disputed.

If I misunderstood and the post meant "if you log your calories you will know how many calories there are" then I will concede the point. I took it to mean you'll be successful at weight loss. That's a whole 'nother ballgame.

The post meant if you log your calories accurately and log how much you burn through exercise as accurately as possible and actually use those numbers to eat less than you burn (yes, you actually have to do it), then you will pretty much be guaranteed weight loss.

Not arguing that many people find it too much work (myself included) and stop doing it and then are not successful at losing weight. Or people do log accurately and still eat more than they burn because they can't find ways to feel satiated. That happens as well. But what I meant is, if you want a guaranteed way to lose weight...weigh your food accurately and log it, log your exercise and make sure your total calories for the day/week are less than what you've burned. Success.

True. But that could be said of every single weight loss plan out there that provides a deficit. Follow it to the letter and you are guaranteed to lose. It's always true.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

I am sure that there are people who haven't logged everything and still manage to lose weight or maintain. I guess what I would like to know is why I see so many posts on here where people insist everything has to be weighed or logged, what is the reasoning for that, and why can't someone be successful without that?

Because although SOME people MAY be successful losing/maintaining weight without logging, you are pretty much GUARANTEED success if you do. Most people will take the guarantee over the chance.

How so?

If you log your calories accurately and completely you actually *are* guaranteed to be able to track how much you are eating, and therefore know if you really are in the deficit required to lose weight.

If I misunderstood and the post meant "if you log your calories you will know how many calories there are" then I will concede the point. I took it to mean you'll be successful at weight loss. That's a whole 'nother ballgame.

The post meant if you log your calories accurately and log how much you burn through exercise as accurately as possible and actually use those numbers to eat less than you burn (yes, you actually have to do it), then you will pretty much be guaranteed weight loss.

Not arguing that many people find it too much work (myself included) and stop doing it and then are not successful at losing weight. Or people do log accurately and still eat more than they burn because they can't find ways to feel satiated. That happens as well. But what I meant is, if you want a guaranteed way to lose weight...weigh your food accurately and log it, log your exercise and make sure your total calories for the day/week are less than what you've burned. Success.

True. But that could be said of every single weight loss plan out there that provides a deficit. Follow it to the letter and you are guaranteed to lose. It's always true.

Except that the plan OP describes does not guarantee loss (or in this case getting to ideal race weight which may include loss) if followed to the letter. Neither do any plans that say 'eat X servings' without some kind of restriction on serving size.

Neither do plans that say you can eat unlimited amounts of 'X' - presuming 'X' has any calories whatsoever. There have been plenty of those diet plans out there, and there's always someone that eats enough of 'X' to either not lose or even gain.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    stealthq wrote: »

How so?

Except that the plan OP describes does not guarantee loss (or in this case getting to ideal race weight which may include loss) if followed to the letter. Neither do any plans that say 'eat X servings' without some kind of restriction on serving size.

Neither do plans that say you can eat unlimited amounts of 'X' - presuming 'X' has any calories whatsoever. There have been plenty of those diet plans out there, and there's always someone that eats enough of 'X' to either not lose or even gain.

Totally off point from my post that you quoted, but yes.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    This makes a lot of sense to me. I think my biggest fear after seeing all these posts is that I can't be successful if I don't weigh/log everything that goes into my mouth. I did that for years and would have great success for losing weight but never kept it off because I got tired of logging and weighing everything. I'd prefer to just develop a healthy relationship with food and eat mostly good foods and I am hoping to hear from these people who have been successful with that. But as you said if they are successful they probably aren't posting!

I'm a few years into maintenance and I don't use my food scale all the time anymore, though I do keep a running tally of my calories and also eat a lot of pre-measured things like Lean Cuisines, canned soups, frozen veggies that come in bags with 3 servings (I add 1 bag per Lean Cuisine etc). I still weigh things like rice and oats, shredded cheese, nuts, chips etc., that I'm not good with eye balling accurate portion sizes. I also weigh myself daily and do 16:8IF, which are both checks and balances that I have in place.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I'm afraid that currently, logging everything is a must for me. It's just too easy for me to over eat other wise. I don't necessarily weigh everything, but I do spot check to see how my eyeballing is. Would I lose weight faster if I did weigh everything? Definitely! My current life circumstances just don't provide me with that possibility.

I do hope that one day I'll be able to keep a healthy weight without needing to log/weigh to a high degree of accuracy. But I've made my peace with the fact that that day is a) very far in the future and b) might actually never come.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I think most people just like to eat and cant handle eating healthy or with moderation.

Agree. I see a lot of people applying a "value for the money" mentality too, so they want the most for what they pay for - aka, big portions. Too many people will get realistic serving sizes of food and complain about small portions. Interestingly, it is more of an American thing from my observations because in my travels I have found other countries focus more on quality of food over quantity.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    This is where I turn to the experience of those who have been in maintenance for years after losing 50+ lbs. The National Weight Control Registry is an excellent resource as well: http://www.nwcr.ws/

When I started MFP I identified the habits that caused my weight gain - I looked beyond the symptoms and identified the root causes. When I hit my target weight I went I lost many of these habits and fell back into my old habits and put on ~40 bls. Now that I'm back into good habit mode I'm recognizing the behavior that caused me to slip and ensuring this doesn't happen again. For me this is all about athletic performance. CICO and tracking are nothing more than the principle and formula behind it.

The real trick of this is to find what drives you.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This is where I turn to the experience of those who have been in maintenance for years after losing 50+ lbs. The National Weight Control Registry is an excellent resource as well: http://www.nwcr.ws/

When I started MFP I identified the habits that caused my weight gain - I looked beyond the symptoms and identified the root causes. When I hit my target weight I went I lost many of these habits and fell back into my old habits and put on ~40 bls. Now that I'm back into good habit mode I'm recognizing the behavior that caused me to slip and ensuring this doesn't happen again. For me this is all about athletic performance. CICO and tracking are nothing more than the principle and formula behind it.

The real trick of this is to find what drives you.

I'm a NWCR participant :) Hopefully my data, along with the other participants, will help others who are still in the weight loss phase realize that it is possible to be a successful maintainer long term!
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    I see so many posts where people complain they haven't lost weight and then everybody comes in saying that EVERYTHING HAS TO BE WEIGHED AND LOGGED.

I know that CICO is typically the key to weight loss, but can you be successful without all of this? Who wants to have to weigh and log or even just log everything they put in their mouths for the rest of their life?
    I find success in weighing food and logging what I eat. When I don't I always stall and or gain weight. So... not doing this for many years has never worked, no harm in keeping myself accountable, and drop weight at the same time by micro managing what I eat.

Who wants to be fat for the rest of their life? I sure don't. Seems a bit silly to question something that works vs doing nothing and wondering why you're not losing weight.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    I personally need to weigh and log to lose. It helps me be mindful of what I'm eating. I lost 30lbs 5 years ago by tracking and then maintained that weight for 3 years without tracking. During the tracking period my brain adjusted to the changes in food and portions from when I was tracking, and my recipes were all built to fit into my calorie goals. Tracking was the tool that helped me relearn the right eating habits so I didn't need to track forever.

I gained 7lbs back over 1 1/2 years because life got a bit nuts and I was eating out for breakfast and lunch 5-6 days a week, and dinner 3-4 times a week. I'm back to tracking to lose the extra weight but once I get to maintenance I'll stop. The good part about MFP is that I can print out my weekly menus so next time I need to drop a few pounds I can just go back and following them for a few weeks instead of tracking.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    If you lose and maintain without weighing or logging everything then I'd say no.

If your stuck and can't figure it out after a couple of months I'd say yes.
  • bshrom11
    bshrom11 Posts: 25 Member
    I don't weigh/measure everything but I do measure things that are very calorie dense such as nut butters, cream for coffee, cheese, butter.