Quitting smoking

Options
Hi guys I'm fairly new and have decided to lose weight and generally live a healthier lifestyle. My main problem is smoking and the way it affects my exercise and fitness. I only smoke about 5-6 times a day but I've noticed that even that prohibits my working out ability. I've been trying so hard to cut down and eventually quit completely. Are there any ex smokers who can share their strategies on how to break the habit?

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I recommend this book ..... I have been smoked free for a year now www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615.
    Wishing you much success ..... It was not an easy thing for me until I got my hands on this book
  • zahndja
    zahndja Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recommend this book ..... I have been smoked free for a year now www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615.
    Wishing you much success ..... It was not an easy thing for me until I got my hands on this book

Thank u so much!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    You are very welcome ...You can quit :)
  • teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I quit on 4/9/2002. 15th anniversary in >2 months! I tapered down to 2 ciggies per day, then down to 1 per day, held at that level for 2 weeks and then quit cold turkey. The withdrawal and cravings were bad for 3 days, but not at all bad after that. I think if you try to go cold turkey, tapering down to no more than 1 or 2 per day for at least a couple weeks is critically important. I don’t think I could have handled the withdrawal and cravings if I’d tried to go cold turkey straight from a pack a day.

All that being said..... The most important thing off all is your personal commitment to quitting. Unless you’re 100% committed to quitting and have the willpower and self-discipline to actually do it, the probability of your succeeding will be nil. I can’t even remember how many dozens of times I tried to quit before 4/9/2002, but I’m glad I finally got my act together and pulled it off. It was one of the best moves I ever made.

Best wishes and good luck with however you decide to tackle it.
  • hannat5017
    hannat5017 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I quit sometime this summer just went cold turkey. Of course I had to it was starting to cause health issues like vomiting in sleep and making my Gerd worse. I admit I have one every 4 to 5 months. But usually when I'm drinking and always from other people. It's hard but you can do it. I smoked about half a pack a day and only for about 2 years before I started having serious issues. The day I quit is when I stopped choking on vomit in my sleep. I miss it everyday but ot gets easier
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Check out whyquit.com. it was instrumental in helping me quit years ago. Great support forums there, similar to mfp. You can do it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I just stopped the day I brought my baby boy home.
    My motivation was that I wasn't going to have my children grow up seeing me smoke and thinking it was OK or normal.

There's loads of different strategies to suit different people but it starts and is successful due to your motivation. And that's going to be personal to you. Whether that's health, money or vanity (no-one wants to smell like an ashtray and have lips like a cat's bum plus dull skin do they?) is up to you.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I quit 15 years ago after smoking heavily for 28 years. I did it cold turkey. I used an online support network called quitnet - I'm not sure if it still exists but it was the main factor in my successfully stopping smoking.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Ps I decided to stop after a chest xray showed a shadow on my lung. Turned out to be a chest infection but there's nothing like shock and despair for putting you off cigarettes for good :smiley:
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 5 years (a pack a day) and tried quitting with the patch and pills and those did not work for me so I switched to vaping in November 2015 and that worked for me. I still vape but have no desire to smoke a cig and I have been gradually reducing my nicotine as I go. I am at the second to lowest level and plan to go to the lowest level of nicotine (3mg) pretty soon. My goal is to be done vaping by the end of this year. I worked out when I smoked a pack a day but I definitely got winded easily. Ever since I started vaping, I can kick butt during my workout and my resting heart rate has reduced from high 80's to low to mid 60's (usually 64 or 65).
  • MisterHollis
    MisterHollis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Quitting is easy. Some weeks I'll quit like 4 or 5 times!

Staying quit is the hard part. At least for me.

While I was never a heavy smoker (about 1/2 pack a day, max), I smoked and dipped for years. When I finally succeeded at quitting, some things that made it easier:
    1. Pick a day/time, mark the calendar, and just do it.
    2. Easier if my last smoke was the night before. I feel like I have a 6-8 hour jump start.
    3. Realize that if you can hack it 3 days, the physical pull is out but mental is still there.
    4. Recognize factors for wanting to smoke (for me it was stress, 100%).
    5. Substitute with a "healthy"(er) alternative. I stayed inside for 3 days over a long weekend, refusing to drive anywhere, knowing that if I did, I would probably grab a pack.
    6. Find a support group. Even if it's a peer that tells you to stay strong, or encourages you to get back on the horse, or maybe grabs the pack you just bought and tears each one in half while you watch... Support groups are in-person or online.

Good luck!
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    VAPE
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I quit using electronic cigarettes. Yes, it's true the FDA and big Tobacco hate them. I, personally believe it's all money related; the tobacco companies were losing customers so they funded lobbyists to hammer the government for a ban. It took a while, but by mid-year next year if nothing else changes they will have succeeded in taking them off the market. So there's some time left if you want to try them to help you quit.

I used e-cigs for about three years. Funny thing is within three weeks of starting to use e-cigarettes I had quit smoking and didn't even realize it. At first I did both, I just cut down on smoking cigarettes a bit. Eventually the e-cigs make the cigarettes taste like crap so you smoke them less and less. At least that's how it worked for me. About a month after starting to use e-cigs I realized I had a carton of cigarettes I hadn't touched in weeks. It felt so good to give them away. As a smoker I'm sure you'll understand that feeling you get when you are either out of smokes, or almost out. I had none of that, I happily handed them over to a smoker who wanted them.

Anyway, it's not for everyone. Smoking is a dry/combustive smoke, and if you remember how it took getting used to inhaling smoke when you first started it's a lot like that with e-cigs. It's a moist vapor with e-cigs so you're going to likely cough at first, but if you stick with it, it's an easy replacement for cigarettes. After the third year I decided I wanted to quit them too, so I started cutting down the nicotine levels in my liquid I was making (yup, I made it myself, it's easy, another reason the FDA hates it) until I hit 0 nicotine. Then I just started leaving my e-cigarette at home when I left the house, went to work, etc. and eventually didn't need it at all. I've been both smoke and vapor free for about five years now. I've been free of cigarettes for almost 9 years.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I quit a pack/day, 20+ year habit cold turkey after reading the Allen Carr book suggested above. It helps you understand the psychology of cigarette addiction so you can break free from it. It's been almost 10 years now, and I've never missed it once I got over the initial withdrawal phase. I couldn't do so many of the things I do now if I still smoked. Do it! It will pay you back in spades every day for the rest of your life!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    zahndja wrote: »
    I've noticed that even that prohibits my working out ability.

i'm not an ex-smoker, but please believe that being a smoker does not prohibit exercise.

i'm not sure if you meant 'prohibit' or just 'inhibit' actually, but wanted to say that just in case. i swear i've come across some pretty odd attitudes around here (i.e. where i live). like somehow if a person smokes it's incomprehensible they might also walk or ride a bike or be working on strength.

you can work with what you've got while you're working on the smoking issue. don't make the limits it imposes a reason not to do it at all.
  • FitOneSoon
    FitOneSoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    zahndja wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm fairly new and have decided to lose weight and generally live a healthier lifestyle. My main problem is smoking and the way it affects my exercise and fitness. I only smoke about 5-6 times a day but I've noticed that even that prohibits my working out ability. I've been trying so hard to cut down and eventually quit completely. Are there any ex smokers who can share their strategies on how to break the habit?

My husband and I quit smoking 6 years ago, both over a pack a day. I just stopped, I was just ready, but my husband used Altoids mints to help him. We liked menthol. It was smokes or our house payment. Wish you the best of luck!
  • tufntender
    tufntender Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used Chantix. Made it very easy. I now very, very rarely puff on an E-Cigarette, only when I am drinking, I sometimes go for several months not even thinking about smoking and when I do puff, it is usually just two or 3 drags and then it gets put away. Chantix makes Cigarettes taste awful but I liked that they allow you to taper down and it isn't a cold turkey kind of thing. It has been about 2 years now and I will never smoke another cigarette again I am certain of that, Good luck!
  • guavity
    guavity Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit just under 3 months ago. People here saying they were heavy smokers at 1/2 a pack a day? I was 2 packs a day for 28 years and eleven months. Chantix made it very easy. Quit cold turkey after cutting down for about a month. I still got cravings, but they went away quick. I've been off Chantix for about 2 months. I still get cravings, but that's stress, and it goes away quick. Only problem? I put on 30 lbs. That's why I'm back on here! :smile:
  • Cheryldiana2015
    Cheryldiana2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem-smoked and wanted to lose weight. I couldn't catch my breathe which was no surprise after smoking 15 years (1 pack a day). In any case, I went to a general MD after starting a walking program. And found out from years of smoking I had an irregular heartbeat-and was diagnosed with angina. I had to go to a cardiologist for a follow-up and then I was finally given (my insurance company covered it 100%) Chantix, the smallest dose. Took me a month to quit smoking but it worked. And despite reports of nightmares I only had three "crazy" dreams...although one was very scary to me... dreamed my 10 year old dog died (I love my old man). That was 2 years ago. Haven't smoked a cig since.

After I quit smoking my doctor was proud of me and my physical performance improved. I traded my walking program for yoga. I look and feel soooooo much better.

Good Luck.
  • JHamilton6
    JHamilton6 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used nicotine gum - Nicorette - some 20 years ago. Worked like a charm.