At Home Workout Essentials

Options
I know I may be in the minority here, but I despise work out DVDs. I love putting on loud music or a good movie and watching that WHILE lifting free weights or using my treadmill or stationary bike.
BUT, I'm ready to change things up at home and need some new ideas. What are some other essential work out tools you have that help? I was thinking maybe a Bosu is a good investment because it can be used so many different ways. What type of resistance bands are good? What other items like that would be good to have around to change it up a little?

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If I could only buy one thing it would be a 8kg kettlebell. So versatile- gives you cardio and strength in one go. Helps core, arms, legs depending on moves.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'd get a pair of adjustable dumbbells, and a resistance band kit that's door-mountable, like Bodylastics or Black Mountain.
    A kettlebell could supplement that, but you may need multiple weights or an adjustable one.
    Bosu is overrated in my opinion and i rarely use it. You can train your balance with lunges, single-leg shoulder presses, etc. :+1:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TRX
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have resistance bands, and various exercises can be done. I suggest you invest in good quality bands. Another benefit is you can carry it around in a small bag. I Will post a poster of the various exercises that can be performed on my page.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Goals? Finances? Space? Without knowing these it's tough to give an answer. But I'll do it anyway. There are tons of great bodyweight workouts out there that require no equipment and will give great results. Typically the fly in the the ointment for these programs is back and biceps.

My answer is a good pullup bar.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I bought a 10 pound kettle bell this weekend and used it yesterday. Maybe 35-40 swings. How many swings does everyone typically do, for a decent workout?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Agree with TRX or WOSS (cheaper TRX)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I have resistance bands, kettlebell (I finally got a weight adjustable on), slam ball and various medicine balls.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love my powerblock adjustable dumbbells, weighted vest, and adjustable step platform
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Another vote for TRX
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love my pull up bar/dip station. If you don't have much upper body strength you'll need a pullup assist band or a chair.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    where is the best place to get the TRX?