Zumba

Options
I've lost 37 pounds so far by changing my diet and exercising at the gym, but I am very nervous about joining a fitness class. Thoughts?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Zumba is super fun :) All types of people do it. It takes a few classes to get the rhythm perhaps but it's easy enough to loosen up. It's my class of choice. I usually find I'm watching the instructor 99.9% of the time to see what I'm supposed to be doing. The other 0.1% of the time I'm making sure I'm not bumping into someone. Also, as you go more often you do start remembering the sequences too.

You can always try one and see how it goes and try from there!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! It's so much fun. Every zumba class I've ever taken has been completely accepting of all levels, and they always make a point of stressing if you don't know what to do, who cares, just keep moving! I say give a try. Do a couple classes so you can get used to it, or maybe try different teachers because everyone is different and some are easier than others.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Zumba is really fun. Don't worry about whether people are staring at you or anything, because believe me, they're too busy with themselves and watching the instructor. Have fun with it!
  • hollyrinehart4883
    hollyrinehart4883 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. It's settled. I'm going to my first 1 tomorrow!
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do it 4 time a week. I love it. I meet new ladies who are accepting massively. They push me and motivate me. We all yell in class and laugh our bum off. If I am shaking my bum in front they don't care they are having to much fun. You will end up loving it. ^_^ I am a zumba addict. I love my instructor and want to get ZIN certified eventually.
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have been teaching Zumba for 5 years- and the other ladies are 100% correct! It is TOTALLY a judgement free zone and appropriate for ALL levels! My advice:

1. Wear comfy clothes and take water
    2. Try not to hide too far in the back- being able to see the instructor is SO helpful!
    3. If you don't love it- give it a few tries before you make your mind up- or find another instructor. Each class is SO different! The class is built 100% by us- so find an instructor that has a style that you can click with!
    4. Most important- HAVE FUN!!!!!!
  • choklityum
    choklityum Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Right now, I do Zumba once a week. I love my instructor and she's actually going to record 2 or 3 routines for me to do at home. At class, there's a range of shapes, sizes, and fitness levels; I'm one of the older people in the class and can't do some of the hi-i kicking through a whole class (arthroscopic surgery on left knee about 5 years ago & mild arthritis in both knees), so I drop down to a lower level of motion. As long as I'm still moving, it's all good! You'll love it, hollyrinehart - it truly is a lot of fun!