How many meals a day

Options
Hey guys. Just looking for advice from others on how many times a day people are eating. What is the best way to go about it 3,4 or 5 meals a day? I'm currently trying to loose fat while weight training if that helps your answers or advice!

Replies

• mangzane
    mangzane Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi there!

I didn't know the answer to this, and thus it sparked my curiosity.

I found this article, whose author holds a PhD in Nutritional Science and a Masters in Biology, and actually includes references within.

Article link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/how-many-meals-per-day-should-i-eat

TL;DR
    Meal frequency has no effect on metabolic rate. Total calories consumed is the most impacting.

Cheers!

Edit: my advice if you're working out, choose a meal plan that allows for food (protein,carbs) consumption pre AND post workout routines. Studies have shown consuming protein within 30 minutes post workout has an effect on muscle retention. So perhaps 4, 5 meals a day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    What works for me won't necessarily be the right plan for you, but since you asked I typically eat twice a day. One small meal/snack in early afternoon and the rest of calories at night.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 meals per day and the rest is snacks.

It doesn't matter how many meals you eat for weight loss.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    The best number of meals is the number that makes it easiest for you to be in a calorie deficit.

Some people prefer three bigger meals, some prefer more frequent smaller meals. There is no one best way -- there's just the way that best matches your preferences and lifestyle.

Perfectly stated.

I'll just add that based on personal experience, it doesn't really matter for me one way or the other. Some days, I eat three square meals. Other days, I skip breakfast entirely and just eat two big meals and maybe a snack at night. I've even had days where I've eaten 4-5 small to medium sized meals. They pretty much all work for me.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I do 4 small meals and a larger lunch. I just like the timing and not feeling stuffed.
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. It keeps me from feeling bloated all day.
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast @ 8:45 - snack @ 10:15ish - Lunch @ 12:30 - snack @ 3 - dinner 5:30-6 and then my last snack around 8:30. If I have bigger meals and don't do a snack, I brush my teeth (even at work) so I don't eat again - lol!
  • tmize0403
    tmize0403 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i am doing the same thing you are doing. Trying to lose fat and work out at the gym at the same time. My trainer told me 4-5 small meals a day. Protein, vegetables, occasionally some rice if I wanted. The more you "fuel" your body the better success at losing the fat we want to lose. Don't let your brain think that you are starving your body because it then wants to hang onto the fat. Keep it fueled and it will let go because it knows your going to feed it in a few hours.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tmize0403 wrote: »
    i am doing the same thing you are doing. Trying to lose fat and work out at the gym at the same time. My trainer told me 4-5 small meals a day. Protein, vegetables, occasionally some rice if I wanted. The more you "fuel" your body the better success at losing the fat we want to lose. Don't let your brain think that you are starving your body because it then wants to hang onto the fat. Keep it fueled and it will let go because it knows your going to feed it in a few hours.

your trainer has misinformed you. Meal timing has nothing to do with fat loss. What matters is the size of your calorie deficit.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

You can eat as few or as many meals as you like, and please eat a more varied diet than protein and vegetables!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    8 when bulking, 3-4 when cutting.
  • bob_mck
    bob_mck Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cheers for all the replies guys! At the minute I am mostly eating 3 meals and 2 snacks in between. All within my calorie deficit. Just curious to hear how other gets their calories in!
  • bob_mck
    bob_mck Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I suppose my main concern is not to loose any hard earned muscle mass in the process. So fat loss over weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    bob_mck wrote: »

I suppose my main concern is not to loose any hard earned muscle mass in the process. So fat loss over weight loss.

To maintain muscle you need a progressive lifting routine and high protein intake, meal timing has nothing to do with it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I eat one meal a day
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I eat one large meal a day, occasionally I'll have a protein shake to break my fast a couple of hours prior to my meal. No snacks.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    The best number of meals is the number that makes it easiest for you to be in a calorie deficit.

Some people prefer three bigger meals, some prefer more frequent smaller meals. There is no one best way -- there's just the way that best matches your preferences and lifestyle.

This.

I do 16:8IF and my eating window is from 11am-7pm. My largest meal of the day is between 11am -noon, followed by a smaller meal around 5pm. Some days I also have an afternoon snack if I feel like it. So 2 meals with an occasional 1 snack added.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I try to eat 5-6times a day 200-250 calories at a time. I find this to satisfy me. I workout in the evenings so I try to save my last meal/ snack time for after. I eat high protein too I think that's what helps me the most.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is parroting broscience that they've learned from gym buddies and peers. Trainers need to stay away from nutritional advice unless they got a degree in it.
    Number of meals has no relevance in weight loss. As long as one is in a calorie deficit, weight loss will happen. And you can't TARGET fat loss through what you eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png